ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Kyle Filipowski Injured by fan as Wake Forest fans storm the court

The SEC fines you $100,000

Lol that's nothing.

Should be 7 figures.

Suspended school from the conference tournament. Maybe the school would ID students on court and suspend them too for keeping them out of the tournament. Lol. Yeah this will never happen.

Another thought, the school storming the court loses their home game with the team they played the next season. WF now has 2 way games vs Duke in 2025.

More from ESPN:

Filipowski, who said he injured his knee in the collision, believes the contact was intentional.

"It's just really ridiculous how that situation is handled," Filipowski told WFMY News after the game. "I absolutely feel like it was personal. Intentional for sure. Like I said, there's no reason where they see a big guy like me trying to work my way off the court and they can't just work around me, you know? There's no excuse for that."

Duke coach Jon Scheyer expressed his displeasure with court storming, calling for it to be banned.

"When are we going to ban court storming?" Scheyer asked the media. "When are we going to ban that? How many times does a player have to get into something, where they get punched, or they get pushed, or they get taunted right in their face? It's a dangerous thing.

"You look around the country. Caitlin Clark, something happens. And now Flip, I don't know what his status is going to be. He sprains his ankle. It's one thing, like when I played, at least it was 10 seconds and you storm the court. Now, the buzzer doesn't even go off, and they're running on the floor. This has happened to us a bunch this year."

Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes agreed with Scheyer -- court stormings should not be allowed in the game

"I didn't see what happened in the end. I hope he's okay," said Forbes. "I don't like court stormings. I never have. I've been a part of those before. They just don't feel safe."

Filipowski had 17 points to lead the Blue Devils (21-6, 12-4).

FFS, it's one game. You'd think they just won a title. They're already blaming Flip, with the overhead angle. What would you do if a guy (hell a whole crowd) was coming at you? I'd put my arms up and defend myself.

Nah, Filipowski probably ran into the fan on purpose so that people would feel sorry for him after the loss, don't you think? :oops:
For sure that is the case...(sarcasm alert) but this matters now because it happened to Duke. DUKE!!! This will not stand. Something MUST be done.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but this is Duke's fault. Down 4 with 1 second left, your only shot is to make a 3 and get fouled. Unlikely as hell. As soon as that doesn't happen, get the hell off the court instead of sauntering back to your team with the urgency of a frozen sloth.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Time to ban court storming IMO
Nope. This is the coach's fault. His starters should have been off the court.
Down 4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 with 1.8 seconds left to go is a run out the clock moment. Also, he was absolutely unaware of his surroundings. The buzzer goes off, he pauses, turns around and slowly strolls toward the team sideline. He needs better awareness.
You will also notice that there was a Duke player farther away from the team sideline, and much closer to the student section who made it off the court without issue because as soon as the game was over, he made a beeline for the sideline.

L.O.F.L. at you people blaming the Duke coaches for Flipowski getting injured by WF fan court-stormers because they didn't pull the team fast enough.

GTFO here with that shit.

Players are out there to play the game to the final horn, especially in close games. The coaches and players' focus should never be about needing to worry about getting steamrolled by idiot fans who think the price of admission equates to them getting to be out on the playing surface for any reason at all - before, during, or right after the game ends.

jfc

Hmmm. where were all these voices a few weeks ago? Numerous reporters said it was the fans right, "what makes college basketball so exciting", and then those saying Clark initiated the contact. Fans don't belong in the court, or field of play anymore then the players should be allowed into the stands. (Detroit?)....

Reactions: 83Hawk
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but this is Duke's fault. Down 4 with 1 second left, your only shot is to make a 3 and get fouled. Unlikely as hell. As soon as that doesn't happen, get the hell off the court instead of sauntering back to your team with the urgency of a frozen sloth.
You and @TheGuy9 are ridiculous. So the players are responsible for not getting off the floor before they are run over by a few thousand fans? Really? So Cc was responsible for getting crushed as well? Strike that, we already know Guy hates Clark, so..So the players belong on the court, and the fans don't and yet the players only concern should be saving their own lives exiting following a loss. Absolutely astounding take. The visiting team should not need 20 policeman in riot gear to get off the floor in one piece. Several people have put out ways to stop this, (home team forfeits and 250K fine, is an excellent idea), but we all know this will go unabated until someone gets killed on the court.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonesy5960
They storm with phones in hand so they can post immediately and start counting the likes. That being said I stormed the field in The early eighties at Kinnick (got booed as it was a little early) but got the goalpost down. They have the collapsing ones now because of me, please like this post

Okay Ban storming the court. I suppose schools can hire 20 more security guards...maybe 100....probably not going to stop 1000 students from storming the court.

You can't be serious. It's their responsibility to run away in anticipation of irresponsible behavior by others? FFS

Last edited:
This shit is ridiculous.

Courts are getting stormed when their home team is actually favored. Get a clue students.

Iirc, a court got stormed the other night after beating the #12 team in the country, for God's sake.

It's getting harder and harder to respect today's youth

Nope. This is the coach's fault. His starters should have been off the court.
Down 4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 with 1.8 seconds left to go is a run out the clock moment. Also, he was absolutely unaware of his surroundings. The buzzer goes off, he pauses, turns around and slowly strolls toward the team sideline. He needs better awareness.
You will also notice that there was a Duke player farther away from the team sideline, and much closer to the student section who made it off the court without issue because as soon as the game was over, he made a beeline for the sideline.
These are easily a couple of the worst posts I've ever seen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT