ADVERTISEMENT

Eagle catches large muskie

Birds of prey are amazing hunters. Maybe the most impressive in all of nature.
So true. When I was in 4th grade we went on a field trip to the Raptor Center down at Lake McBride. Got to see owls, eagles, hawks, all those being rehabilitated. Then got to see a red tailed hawk released back into the wild. I’m 32 and never forgot that experience. It was so cool. Really made me fascinated by those birds of prey for the rest of my life/csb.

That’s awesome. I’ll never forget the time I was driving down a road in our town and what looked like a small plane or large drone flew down right beside our car. It was actually a bald eagle swiping a squirrel off the ground. At first I thought the eagle might have been hurt as it appeared very shakey in the air but nope, it was just following the squirrel’s movements on the ground. Just amazing how big those birds are.

I was kind of disappointed we didn't get to see it fly carrying a giant fish.
In Canada we watched a bald eagle fly with a dead 23" ish walleye. It did several flyovers to see if it wanted to try and then got it up it's second attempt. Never got over about 5 ft off the water and took it straight to shore about 1/2 mile off. Watched it through binocs tear into the fish. Even freshly dead it was scary watching how easy that Baldy shredded that fish.

Reactions: McLovin32
Off on a tangent-down at Lake Ahquabi State Park last year, we saw an Osprey and an Eagle diving and clawing at each other in an attempt to drive the other off that part of the lake. No contact was made and both birds flew to other areas after a couple of minutes of dueling.

Off on a tangent-down at Lake Ahquabi State Park last year, we saw an Osprey and an Eagle diving and clawing at each other in an attempt to drive the other off that part of the lake. No contact was made and both birds flew to other areas after a couple of minutes of dueling.

Used to be tiger-muskie in Ahquabi. Never caught one but once was walking the trail around the lake and on the dam helped a youngster who had caught a small one with a twister. He had been throwing for bass and was pretty jacked when he landed something with teeth.

If I could be any animal for a day I think a Bald Eagle would be my choice.

Seen them up close eating roadkill deer by the road a couple of times.

Beautiful bird.

If I could be any animal for a day I think a Bald Eagle would be my choice.

Seen them up close eating roadkill deer by the road a couple of times.

Beautiful bird.

Decent thread idea. The ability to fly as opposed to any other is certainly appealing.

Fishing in Minnesota and an eagle grabbed a fish out of the water and flew right over the boat no more than 15 feet above. Water was dripping on us as it went over. Very cool!

So true. When I was in 4th grade we went on a field trip to the Raptor Center down at Lake McBride. Got to see owls, eagles, hawks, all those being rehabilitated. Then got to see a red tailed hawk released back into the wild. I’m 32 and never forgot that experience. It was so cool. Really made me fascinated by those birds of prey for the rest of my life/csb.
My wife was able to release a red tailed hawk out at the raptor center. She said it was amazing.

Reactions: McLovin32
We have so many birds here in FL but I never tire of seeing Ospreys dive into water to grab a fish. I've seen them grab snakes as well and it's fun watching the snakes trying to bite the birds. Bird just pecks away and the snake moves slower and slower until it's just another meal.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I'm fortunate, at my cabin near Guttenberg it's a raptoralooza there.

There's a nest of Peregrines that raise their young every spring and summer. Watching them go after other birds for their meals is amazing. I'll see them fight each other over a kill in the air when one catches a bird. The nest is directly above my cabin - every now and then I'll be walking around my land and find bird carcasses shredded on the ground.

Once two summers ago, on a Saturday morning after a big storm the prior night I walked to my vehicle and lying on the ground was a dead Peregrine chick that got blown out of the nest apparently and didn't survive the 400 foot fall. About the size of a grapefruit, yet all beak and claws - no wonder they shred kills so effectively.

Late falls, early springs - bald eagles galore. There have been times I'll look across at the Wisconsin side near sun up or down, and I'll see 20 or so of them perched at the river edge trees waiting for schools of white bass to begin hitting top water.

Turkey vultures all year round. Near Cassville, there's these transmission lines that cross the river where the closed coal plant is. Every now and then in the boat I'll stop by the tower on the Iowa side and there will be a hundred or so of them just hanging out, like a scene out of The Birds. It's creepy. Usually 3-4 times a day, they'll cruise the river banks looking for easy meals and they'll buzz the tower of my place (especially when I'm grilling), so close you can hear the air rushing over their wings.

Wife told me that there were some rabbits in the flower area and to take care of it. They were a little older than babies so I let my dog loose to give him some fun. He chased one out and it was too fast for the dog. Rabbit starts sprinting away while the dog kept chasing. All of a sudden a hawk comes from between the houses and scoops up that rabbit. That was pretty cool to see and the dog was pissed his play toy was up in the air screeching awaiting to become dinner.

Then, in a strange twist of events, an alligator (this is make believe world) came and ate them all.

ZYbcPRL.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT