ADVERTISEMENT

Epic Fight

What's phantom about that punch? Ali clearly rocks Liston with a right, dropping him, and he instinctively follows the combination with a left that misses but the damage had already been done.
There's nothing phantom about the punch. Just a lot of people who know little about boxing saying that it wasn't a "real" punch and the fix was in.

Often the punch which does a fighter in is the one they don't see. Commonly left hooks which float outside of line of sight and then come crashing in. Also uppercuts. Ali was quick enough with this right Liston never saw it (keep in mind the video is slow mo).

I believe Ali flooring him with this punch was legit..wasn't a powerful punch but Liston didn't see it and he moved into the punch. Afterward when "critics" started calling fixed, Ali tried to claim there was another punch so fast noone could see it. Not sure whether he thought people would really believe that or if he was joking like his claim, "At night I can turn the light switch off and be in bed before it is dark".

Last edited:
And to think she trained and dropped wight for that fight.

200w.gif

What's phantom about that punch? Ali clearly rocks Liston with a right, dropping him, and he instinctively follows the combination with a left that misses but the damage had already been done.
It's pretty famous for being the "phantom punch".

I agree Ali connects but it sure as heck doesn't look to enough to have put Sonny down and out...

It's pretty famous for being the "phantom punch".

I agree Ali connects but it sure as heck doesn't look to enough to have put Sonny down and out...
I know the history.

Ali didn't appear to have a lot on that right hand but it caught Liston right on the temple. Caught him just perfect.

Reactions: stickman80
Did the skinny girl even hit her or did fatass just lose her balance and fall headfirst into the cage?

I know the history.

Ali didn't appear to have a lot on that right hand but it caught Liston right on the temple. Caught him just perfect.
IMO it is a legit punch with more force than it appears.

If you watch, Liston really was lunging. Look at lard ass...she lunged at skinny chick, didn't even get hit but hit the cage and knocked herself out.

Look at Ali's leg. He was backing up, planted himself, and put his whole body from his toes up into the punch.

Lastly look at Ali's peck AFTER the punch lands. Our bodies are mostly water and the wave flowing back away from the punch is the shock wave from the fists impact with Listons head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT