ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bracketology, Updated MARCH 13. IOWA is a 5 Seed in CHICAGO Regional. Bracket Matrix on MARCH 13 has IOWA a 5 Seed. #14 NET Ranking on March 13

Good question, losing at Illinois will not hurt them unless it’s a blowout. If they lose to Illinois then I think they need to go at least 1-1 to get the 6. But a win at Illinois would make them a lock to get a 6 or better seed and the BTT is gravy.

i just hope we don't get a 6 seed in the B1G Tournament :oops:

we could lose at Illinois on Sunday and go from the 4 seed in the BTT to the 6, correct (assuming Rutgers & tOSU win)?

If that happened...

Projected Final B1G Standings:

16-4 Wisconsin (vs Nebby)
15-5 Illinois (vs Iowa)
14-6 Purdue (vs Indiana)
13-7 Ohio State (vs Michigan)

12-8 Rutgers (vs Penn State)
12-8 Iowa (at Illinois)
I was referring to the 8/9 line in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Yeah, I think we are safe from the 8/9.... the only thing that would make me a little nervous as if we lost our next two games.
I think so, too.

I don't feel losing at ILL would hurt us, really. Definitely would not be a bad loss. If those two losses were against ILL and Wisconsin, I suspect we're borderline 6/7. If that second loss ends up against a lower BTT seed, then probably 7. A deep BTT run maybe gets us to a 5?

Unfortunately, Wisconsin won most of their close conference games.

4 examples:

70-69 at Maryland
51-49 vs PSU
68-67 at Minny
70-67 vs Purdue
Give them credit...what is the old adage "Just win baby"!
I dislike Wisconsin just as much as the rest of you, was at the Kohl Center when Iowa blew a 11 point half time lead and lost the game. Fran got teed up twice and it got pretty ugly in the end, but if the rest of the Big Ten continues to lose to Wisconsin, that's on the other teams not on Wisconsin. They do what is necessary to win the game which is the the main object of playing the games in the first place.

Iowa is up to 15th in NET, I have a hard time believing the committee puts Iowa on the 7 line.

I hope you are correct and this is taken into account. I remember the old days with the RPI working against us in terms of seeding (or even getting an invite), so fair is fair, right? It should go both ways.

Reactions: pmtdc
I think so, too.

I don't feel losing at ILL would hurt us, really. Definitely would not be a bad loss. If those two losses were against ILL and Wisconsin, I suspect we're borderline 6/7. If that second loss ends up against a lower BTT seed, then probably 7. A deep BTT run maybe gets us to a 5?

who knows what the Committee is thinking but I think our ceiling is a 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Now, if we win our next 3 or 4 games (where we make the BTT Championship game)? That would likely move us up to a 5 seed.

with a 15 NET ranking, that would suggest we are a 4 seed but the bracketologists seem to think we are going to get dinged a couple slots based on (1) lack of quad 1 wins and (2) a weak nonconference schedule.

Good question, losing at Illinois will not hurt them unless it’s a blowout. If they lose to Illinois then I think they need to go at least 1-1 to get the 6. But a win at Illinois would make them a lock to get a 6 or better seed and the BTT is gravy.
I don't know. Seems like we always get a lower seed than what is predicted.

Mike DeCourcy is a Sporting News college hoops columnist and a Big Ten Network studio analyst.

He does a Bracket Forecast for Fox Sports.

He has Michigan as part of his LAST 4 IN (play in game).

He has Indiana as part of his FIRST 4 OUT.

The 8 B1G teams he has in the NCAA Tournament:

Seed/Team:
2 Wisconsin
3 Purdue
4 Illinois
5 IOWA
7 Ohio State
8 Michigan State
11 Rutgers @MrsScrew
12 Michigan (LAST 4 IN; play in game)

His Full Bracket:

FNBl5DLVUAA8JY9

FNBl82FVIAM-1er

FNBl7HtUcAAIa0c

Nooooo! That would be our luck. Play #12 south Dakota State in round 1. They are 18-0 in league and have only 4 losses on the season. F that.

Nooooo! That would be our luck. Play #12 south Dakota State in round 1. They are 18-0 in league and have only 4 losses on the season. F that.
The Summit League is terrible this year. The conference has a Net ranking of 22 out of 32 conferences. The only 2 teams they played worth a damn were Alabama and Missouri State, lost both by double digits.

Mike DeCourcy is a Sporting News college hoops columnist and a Big Ten Network studio analyst.

He does a Bracket Forecast for Fox Sports.

He has Michigan as part of his LAST 4 IN (play in game).

He has Indiana as part of his FIRST 4 OUT.

The 8 B1G teams he has in the NCAA Tournament:

Seed/Team:
2 Wisconsin
3 Purdue
4 Illinois
5 IOWA
7 Ohio State
8 Michigan State
11 Rutgers @MrsScrew
12 Michigan (LAST 4 IN; play in game)

His Full Bracket:

FNBl5DLVUAA8JY9

FNBl82FVIAM-1er

FNBl7HtUcAAIa0c
I don't think the ACC deserves 5.

Shelby Mast is the Bracketologist for USA Today. His projections are based on how he thinks the committee will make their selections, not how he would want to make them, if the season ended TODAY.

On his website he brags that he is one of the most accurate Bracketologists with 15+ years experience and a 98% accuracy rate since 2005.

His bracket was last updated early this morning, March 4, 2022, at 1:05 AM CT.

He has Indiana as part of the FIRST 4 OUT.

Shelby now has #7 IOWA (22-8) vs #10 Davidson (25-4) with the winner playing the winner of #2 Kentucky (24-6) vs #15 Long Beach State (17-11).

The 8 B1G teams that he has in:

Seed/Team:
2 Purdue
3 Wisconsin
4 Illinois
6 Ohio State
7 IOWA
8 Michigan State
12 Michigan (Last 4 In/Play in Game)
12 Rutgers (Last 4 In/Play in Game)

Last 4 IN -
SMU, Rutgers, North Carolina, Michigan

First 4 OUT -
Memphis, VCU, Indiana, Florida

Next 4 OUT - St Bonaventure, Virginia Tech, Belmont, Dayton

His Full Bracket & Analysis:

Playing Kentucky would be an interesting match up of two competing POY candidates.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
The Summit League is terrible this year. The conference has a Net ranking of 22 out of 32 conferences. The only 2 teams they played worth a damn were Alabama and Missouri State, lost both by double digits.
I looked at their rebounding stats at NCAA.com and they rank #330 in Offensive Rebounds. However, they rank #15 in defensive rebounds. You're right, the league is bad. The big thing of interest to me is that they have won their last 18 games. I haven't seen them play, but if I can venture a guess, I'd say they don't hit the glass hard on offense, but they hustle back quickly on defense. (And they had better if they play us).

I looked at their rebounding stats at NCAA.com and they rank #330 in Offensive Rebounds. However, they rank #15 in defensive rebounds. You're right, the league is bad. The big thing of interest to me is that they have won their last 18 games. I haven't seen them play, but if I can venture a guess, I'd say they don't hit the glass hard on offense, but they hustle back quickly on defense. (And they had better if they play us).
I’m guessing the chances of predicting a specific matchup in the NCAA tournament at this point is in the 3-5% range.

That said, it’s fun to talk about.🙂

• Love
Reactions: Hawksfor3
He must like the fact that Iowa is on a huge roll right now.
Mike is obviously one of the few left who think that how you are playing at the end of the season matters. That used to be a big talking point for the NCAA selection committee. Jerry frickin Palm still has ISU as a six seed. You know, the team that just scored 36 points and lost by 17 at home against a team with a losing record on Senior night. A team that is likely to finish 4 games under .500 in their league schedule. A few years ago, that team would not get a sniff at an NCAA tourney berth. I guess now what you do before Christmas is most important?

Which team should not make the cut?

Right now, Wake. I am not even anti Wake Forest but they have lost every game against the top teams in the ACC minus UNC. They lost to Louisville and squeaked out a win against Northwestern. They had a non- conference schedule that mimicked ours. I don't think the ACC is strong enough to warrant an auto bid for them.

Reactions: ssckelley
https://barttorvik.com/resume-compa...ec=0&rec=1&net=1&resume=1&wab=1&elo=1&power=1

I’ve heard about this tool listening to some bracketologists talk and finally found it. This allows you to compare a team’s resume to similar past NCAA tournament resumes.

4 seeds - 2
5 seeds - 4
6 seeds - 2
7 seeds - 1
8 seeds - 1

The 2014 Kentucky team really stands out on that. They had a 17 NET, was ranked up until the final week, and got a 8 seed. They were 24-10 going into the NCAA and had reached the championship game of the SEC tournament.

That worries me a bit, that’s a blue blood the committee made a 8 seed. Kentucky reached the finals that year where they lost to UCONN. Is that 17 net ranking where they finished before the tournament or after?

The 2014 Kentucky team really stands out on that. They had a 17 NET, was ranked up until the final week, and got a 8 seed. They were 24-10 going into the NCAA and had reached the championship game of the SEC tournament.

That worries me a bit, that’s a blue blood the committee made a 8 seed. Kentucky reached the finals that year where they lost to UCONN. Is that 17 net ranking where they finished before the tournament or after?
Wouldn't the 2014 seeding have been largely based on the RPI?

The NET wouldn’t have been a thing back then, but I’m assuming it’s what the NET would’ve had them back then if the formula existed.

It’s interesting that the two lowest seeds we compared to both made the final four. Probably a sign they were under seeded going in.

Reactions: paladinhawk
Yes slight typo on the website linked. Should probably be NET/RPI.

On the bright side of the Kentucky comparison, it looks like they went to the championship game that year. Gotta play the top dogs at some point.

Watched them a couple times this year, wasn't really impressed. This would be a great matchup for us.

Yes slight typo on the website linked. Should probably be NET/RPI.

On the bright side of the Kentucky comparison, it looks like they went to the championship game that year. Gotta play the top dogs at some point.
True but a sweet 16 appearance would be huge for Iowa and Fran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT