ADVERTISEMENT

Face mask effectiveness: What science knows now

Kenneth Griffin

HR Legend
Jan 13, 2012

When the COVID-19 pandemic took off in 2020, so too did questions over the effectiveness of wearing a face mask to prevent the spread of the virus. Now, three and a half years later, what does the science say?

In an interview for 60 Minutes, CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook posed that question to Linsey Marr, a Virginia Tech University professor specializing in aerosol science.

"They are very helpful in reducing the chances that the person will get COVID because it's reducing the amount of virus that you would inhale from the air around you," Marr said about masks.

No mask is 100% effective. An N95, for example, is named as such because it is at least 95 percent efficient at blocking airborne particles when used properly. But even if a mask has an 80% efficiency, Marr said, it still offers meaningful protection.

"That greatly reduces the chance that I'm going to become infected," Marr said.

Marr said research shows that high-quality masks can block particles that are the same size as those carrying the coronavirus. Masks work, Marr explained, as a filter, not as a sieve. Virus particles must weave around the layers of fibers, and as they do so, they may crash into those fibers and become trapped.

Marr likened it to running through a forest of trees. Walk slowly, and the surrounding is easy to navigate. But being forced through a forest at a high speed increases the likelihood of running into a tree.

"Masks, even cloth masks, do something," she said.

Can contaminated face masks cause infection?​

Can contaminated face masks cause infection? 01:11
Early in the pandemic, some guidance from health professionals suggested that wearing a mask might actually lead to infection: A person might encounter a contaminated mask and then touch their eyes, nose, or mouth. But research in the ensuing years has shown that fear to be misplaced.

"There wasn't any evidence really that that happens," Marr said.

Marr said her team aerosolized the coronavirus, pulled it through a mask, and then examined how much virus survived on the mask. The study reported some viral particle remained on some cloth masks, but no virus survived on the N95s or surgical masks.

Marr's team also touched artificial skin to masks and looked at how many virus particles transferred to the artificial skin. No infectious virus transferred.

"I hope the study kind of shows that it's something we don't need to worry about as much as we were told," Marr said.

The videos above were edited by Sarah Shafer Prediger.

When the COVID-19 pandemic took off in 2020, so too did questions over the effectiveness of wearing a face mask to prevent the spread of the virus. Now, three and a half years later, what does the science say?

In an interview for 60 Minutes, CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook posed that question to Linsey Marr, a Virginia Tech University professor specializing in aerosol science.

"They are very helpful in reducing the chances that the person will get COVID because it's reducing the amount of virus that you would inhale from the air around you," Marr said about masks.

No mask is 100% effective. An N95, for example, is named as such because it is at least 95 percent efficient at blocking airborne particles when used properly. But even if a mask has an 80% efficiency, Marr said, it still offers meaningful protection.

Marr said research shows that high-quality masks can block particles that are the same size as those carrying the coronavirus. Masks work, Marr explained, as a filter, not as a sieve. Virus particles must weave around the layers of fibers, and as they do so, they may crash into those fibers and become trapped.

Marr likened it to running through a forest of trees. Walk slowly, and the surrounding is easy to navigate. But being forced through a forest at a high speed increases the likelihood of running into a tree.

Early in the pandemic, some guidance from health professionals suggested that wearing a mask might actually lead to infection: A person might encounter a contaminated mask and then touch their eyes, nose, or mouth. But research in the ensuing years has shown that fear to be misplaced.

Marr said her team aerosolized the coronavirus, pulled it through a mask, and then examined how much virus survived on the mask. The study reported some viral particle remained on some cloth masks, but no virus survived on the N95s or surgical masks.

Marr's team also touched artificial skin to masks and looked at how many virus particles transferred to the artificial skin. No infectious virus transferred.

"I hope the study kind of shows that it's something we don't need to worry about as much as we were told," Marr said.

The idea that they're worthless was and remains idiotic.

While i am not for making people wear masks, i will wear one at work when i am not feeling 100% when i interact with others

All i know is if i am standing behind someone and they trusted a fart they shouldnt have, im glad they have something covering up their asshole

Wow. Who knew?!

The lesson we should have learned from Covid is, if you're not feeling well, stay the hell home. Most employers are pretty liberal now on sick time and just stay home... you can instacart groceries and door dash food. If you must leave the house, wear a mask as a courtesy to others.

If you want to wear a mask because you think it helps you day to day to be healthier, more power to you.

"very helpful" but no data. Great

"even if a mask has an 80% efficiency" - OK, but that's because Rochelle Walensky said the N95's were only 80% effective against COVID. So if a regular mask is only 20% effective, you should still force everybody to where one?

What has really been learned is that the prior 100 years of science and testing showing masks generally aren't that effective against this, has not been disproven.

How I picture the OP...

...alone on an island:

article-7273-2.jpg

"very helpful" but no data. Great

"even if a mask has an 80% efficiency" - OK, but that's because Rochelle Walensky said the N95's were only 80% effective against COVID. So if a regular mask is only 20% effective, you should still force everybody to where one?

What has really been learned is that the prior 100 years of science and testing showing masks generally aren't that effective against this, has not been disproven.
Remember that time you said masks don't work because then you just breath in the germs that you're breathing out?

That was great when you said that.

I’m not an enjoyer of masks…but this is some next level brilliance if true.
It's true. My post wasn't word for word, but it was close. Someone use to have the quote as their signature on here, but I can't remember who it was or if they still have it.

Reactions: BrianNole777
There's the smoking gun. Masks aren't 100% effective. Think of the millions upon millions who were tragically inconvenienced by wearing a mask in public for almost a whole year.

How I picture folks who say masks are worthless.

Number One Horror GIF by lilcozynostril
Personally, I couldn't care less. OP is obsessed with them, though.

I have no idea why on earth we're still discussing masks? We know what COVID is now. Talk to your physician about what is best for you and go from there. It's like people need self validation for what we did three years ago.

I couldn't care less if every.single.physician on the planet unanimously confirmed that masks were 100% ineffective. In 2020 it was the right call. It was quite literally the smallest thing we were asked to do for our fellow man while we tried to figure this thing out. Why isn't that good enough for people?

...and I can't believe I'm actually going to type this, but KF was spot on in post #4 & #7. Especially post #7. Hopefully people will be a little more courteous of others and stay the hell home when they're sick and I never have to have this conversation again:

Me: "Dude! You look and sound like crap. Why are you here?"
Coworker: "Ya, I'm sick, but I don't want to burn my sick leave."

Personally, I couldn't care less. OP is obsessed with them, though.

I have no idea why on earth we're still discussing masks? We know what COVID is now. Talk to your physician about what is best for you and go from there. It's like people need self validation for what we did three years ago.

I couldn't care less if every.single.physician on the planet unanimously confirmed that masks were 100% ineffective. In 2020 it was the right call. It was quite literally the smallest thing we were asked to do for our fellow man while we tried to figure this thing out. Why isn't that good enough for people?

...and I can't believe I'm actually going to type this, but KF was spot on in post #4 & #7. Especially post #7. Hopefully people will be a little more courteous of others and stay the hell home when they're sick and I never have to have this conversation again:

Me: "Dude! You look and sound like crap. Why are you here?"
Coworker: "Ya, I'm sick, but I don't want to burn my sick leave."
I know people would take advantage of a anything designed to be helpful and ruin it for the people who need it, but maybe instead of people getting checks, businesses should have received money for every employee to get 10 sick days a year with the hope that people won't come to work sick. Some people go to work sick because they can't afford to miss work...

There's companies out there that wanted to enforce a vaccine mandate but don't offer paid sick time.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
If "regular masks" are "20% effective", then over the course of a 4 month (16 week) outbreak period (with a ~7 day lag for secondary/downstream infections), you will REDUCE the numbers of cases by > 97%

That's how exponential growth works.
Wow that is totally believable!!!!

Now tell us how buying more lottery tickets means you have a better chance of winning

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Hospitals and doctors have been using masks for...how long?

At least 100 years.

Non-doctors don't believe masks work.

Who do you believe?

I'll believe doctors myself.
Those are for splash and droplet protection, not respiratory aerosol level protection.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
I think facemasks are hugely important. You know how many broken noses and broken teeth those players would have without them?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk_82
S o Dr. Pinehawk, you are saying that masks provide ZERO protection, correct? Based on your research or your internet searching?
No, I’m saying they provide such a small amount of protection, that they should have never been mandated.
Universal masking was never a part of any pandemic planning efforts, in the years leading up to Covid.

Reactions: hawkedoff
Pinehawk they will never admit it. If they could they would bring back the mandates and close schools again tomorrow. In the name of their religion science. Just their sect that isn't actually science but has all the trappings if tyrannical religions including high priests and human sacrifice. For the good of the order and their God.

But they have verified “the other side” too, Pine…..
There is no ‘other side’. There is a pathetically low effectiveness number that’s been claimed by both sides as proof. Which it is, for both. One thinks that low number is worth mandating, others don’t.
I mean we did try mandated masking…and you saw the results. Virtually nothing.

Reactions: hawkedoff
There is no ‘other side’. There is a pathetically low effectiveness number that’s been claimed by both sides as proof. Which it is, for both. One thinks that low number is worth mandating, others don’t.
I mean we did try mandated masking…and you saw the results. Virtually nothing.
Worked well for me and mine…..My bride worked every day with a mask and a full staff of folks coming in and out of her office….wearing masks. I worked retail pretty regularly…..you wont prove your statement by me, but then I am sure you are right and I am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT