Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Guns N' Roses

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Warrant

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Guns and Roses, but I don't really consider them hair metal. Poison for me defines the genre.
Similarly I went w Def Leppard but I don't really consider them to be a "hair band" like Poison or Cinderella either.

Special shout out to Jackyl for their groundbreaking work in the field of musical chainsaws!

Reactions: Funky Bunch
No Whitesnake?

tumblr_ndi6lndcgP1roa7c8o1_250.gifv

Really don't have a favorite band so much as the precious few songs that I do like from the genre. And I do state for the record, "glam/hair metal" for me is a very narrowly defined genre in that I term it as sort of the 3rd wave of LA hard rock bands post Van Halen where simply put - think of it as the musical equivalent of the movie "Multiplicity" where each "generational" clone winds up vastly different from the original.

Like a copy of a copy sort of thing. They kinda look the part, they kinda sound the part...but the overall whole is mostly blech.

Look at anybody in 1985-87 in music. Was Ozzy hair metal, Heart hair metal? They dressed the same way. Out of the groups on that list GNR, Skid Row, Cinderella, and DL have nothing to do with "glammy" music other than maybe having that hairstyle for 6 months.

Even Anthrax looked the part.

I'm going to say if the band is on this list somewhere...they are considered hair metal...either for style of music or style of look, or both...

I had both these albums on cassette. They were the openers for Kiss in Cedar Rapids years back. The first concert I ever went to.

I have go with Crue just because the were the definition of a glam band....they took what the Dolls did to a new level.

Weirdly last tour I did meet and greets with Def Leppard in Chicago and Poison in Vegas. Poison is the best meet and greet by far.

Dokken is the only hair band from that era that I listen to now.

Edit: I still listen to Slave To The Grind too.

Last edited:
Everybody can cry about all of their favorite bands missing but the only missing band that matters is Stryper.

They made it okay to look like a girl but be a masculine Christian man.
stryper-then.jpg

There's glam then there's the jeans and t-shirt guys who just happened to have the hair.

Went with Motley Crue because they practically invented the genre.

Guns n Roses is better, in a close race, but I don't consider them "hair metal".

Poll would be better with them out of it as GnR will win in a landslide. Their wrongful inclusion skews the poll.

As the grandmothers of glam, the New York Dolls disbanded, guitarist Blackie Goozeman briefly replaced Johnny Thunders for their last few shows. Then Blackie and Dolls bassist Arthur Killer Kane left for LA to form the Killer Kane Band. Later Blackie changed his last name to Lawless and founded the band Sister. Nikki Sixx joined in 1978 and the LA sleaze rock scene was basically founded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT