ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Family Board Games

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Looking for some good family, 2-3 person board games that aren't the run-of-the-mill norm, e.g., Monopoly, Risk, Clue, etc. We had some friends over last night and played Canvas which was really good and they recommended Wingspan as well. I just purchased Villainous & Tacos vs Burritos (but they haven't arrived).

My favorite game is Dominion and I have at least 5 of the expansion sets.

What are your go-to or favorite games, HROTers.

You have to make strategy. Build alliances, break them. Classic cut throat game
Meh, just take Australia, be patient and win. Why do you think Lex wanted it?

8d907e40-3bc5-4440-8902-b096dce6aca5_text.gif

Looking for some good family, 2-3 person board games that aren't the run-of-the-mill norm, e.g., Monopoly, Risk, Clue, etc. We had some friends over last night and played Canvas which was really good and they recommended Wingspan as well. I just purchased Villainous & Tacos vs Burritos (but they haven't arrived).

Played Tacos vs Burritos with my sphincter last week. Not a very fun game.

We went deep into board games during the pandemic - games being made in the last 20 years or so are orders of magnitude better than the classics. Here are some of my favorites:

Pandemic in its many varieties - especially the legacy versions
Liars Dice
Azul
Splendor
Wingspan
Grand Austria Hotel
Gloomhaven (the GOAT, but it is a major investment in time and money)

Reactions: alaskanseminole
We went deep into board games during the pandemic - games being made in the last 20 years or so are orders of magnitude better than the classics. Here are some of my favorites:

Frosthaven is finally supposed to start shipping in North America.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler

Pandemic in its many varieties - especially the legacy versions
Liars Dice
Azul
Splendor
Wingspan
Grand Austria Hotel
I added Wingspan to my cart, and now Azul. The couple that came over last night brought it [Azul], but we didn't get around to playing it.

Hadn't heard of Gloomhaven, but seams like your GOAT claim isn't far off.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
A few friends and I used to play online Risk during one of our law school classes just praying we didn’t called on, especially after a battle.

Bring it on mother effers. I will defend Australia until death.

Boom, we got another (and i did the same during property class in law school). We are more than 1/2 way to having a full competition of HORT. We need to do the game online with some sort of App so that other HROTers can color commentate.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Some of my favorites are:

Battlestar Galactica plus the Pegasus addon. It’s great because it’s cooperative against a random occurring ”enemy” constantly trying to take you down with 1 or 2 secret Cylons with their own agenda which is usually somewhat counter to the survival of the main group. It’s a ton of fun and very accurate to the rebooted show. Unfortunately it’s now a ton of money unless you catch it at a flea Market or garage sale. I last saw the main game going for $315 so my big regret was not buying the other addons when they were still reasonable. BUT….there is a spiritual successor to the game that implements all of the same rules and roles it’s just set in the free Loftcraft universe rather than the IP owned by a major network. It’s called Unfathomable and I’d say give it a look even though I can’t say I’ve played that exact iteration.

Bohnanza (spelled like that) which is a card game that even tweens can easily play but it’s relatively quick, fun and strategy matters not just luck.

Saboteur with Saboteur 2 which is a very quick, very simple game but with traitors hidden amongst the other players as well. Plus it’s not purely cooperative, it’s somewhat cooperative but everyone still wants to finish with the most gold.

Horrified Universal Monsters (the better of the two but more expensive) and Horrified American Monsters are essentially Battle Star Galactica minus the hidden traitors. In other words it’s a fun, cooperative game that doesn’t get boring despite multiple run throughs In a night.

OK But for real we have this really old OG bop it from when we were kids. usually once a thanksgiving or christmas we'll whip it out and we'll all pull it, twist it, and bop it together. Gets really hot.

Not a board game, but Quarto is a solid game. We’ve had it in our family for years.

Payday and Stay Alive are two of my favorite old classics.

Acquire is awesome, but I don’t know if it’s even made anymore.

My brother brought a card game to our family Thanksgiving last weekend called “Cover Your Assets”. That was a lot of fun.

Had a buddy that made his own custom board that created new territories and paths. He was quite the artist. Games on it could take hours if not days to complete

Try Sorry or Scrabble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT