ADVERTISEMENT

Fed finds 75% of $800 billion Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) didn't reach workers.

This isn't surprising,... I recall at the time that there was a tremendous push to flood the streets with cash and very little concern with policing where the money was going.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
The 3 stimulus payments were a bunch of bull crap too. I know so many who lost not a dime due to COVID getting the free government money for no reason at all. It was like no effort was made how to funnel the money to people and businesses truly in need. They did not get enough, many had a hard time and a bunch of small business like restaurants went under.

To be clear, I blame both parties on it. Just a low effort attempt at throwing money to try to help economy and stuff pockets of friends.
Our government seems incapable of doing things that aren't easy. Let's just send everyone money. If we try to send it only to those that truly need it, we might miss someone.

It's carpet bombing.

Our government seems incapable of doing things that aren't easy. Let's just send everyone money. If we try to send it only to those that truly need it, we might miss someone.

It's carpet bombing.

Wouldn't matter,.. If they had attempted to identify only those in need they would have phucked that up also.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I knew of several small businesses that got funds but their employees chose to stay home and collect unemployment rather than work. The restaurant industry had a huge problem with this.

My ex wife had 5 employees for her company. I know she got funds but only 1 came back to work
Question - these employees were not terminated, but choose not to work? You don't get unemployment if you quit on your own, right?

The 3 stimulus payments were a bunch of bull crap too. I know so many who lost not a dime due to COVID getting the free government money for no reason at all. It was like no effort was made how to funnel the money to people and businesses truly in need. They did not get enough, many had a hard time and a bunch of small business like restaurants went under.

To be clear, I blame both parties on it. Just a low effort attempt at throwing money to try to help economy and stuff pockets of friends.
Agreed. Not well thought out at all.

The program was poorly conceived and executed. Congress and Trump panicked, felt they had to do something fast to save the economy from a recession. I'm sure many jobs were saved by the program, but I feel like it was mainly just a tremendous business windfall.
This is not true & is mostly just lazy armchair quarterbacking.

People were under stay at home orders...businesses were shuttered. You can't do that without compensating them.

They did have to do something fast, the world around us was falling apart in real time. The biggest problem(s) were they didn't stop after round 1...they just kept extending deadlines & passing new rounds of stimulus.

Reactions: littlez
This is not true & is mostly just lazy armchair quarterbacking.

People were under stay at home orders...businesses were shuttered. You can't do that without compensating them.

They did have to do something fast, the world around us was falling apart in real time. The biggest problem(s) were they didn't stop after round 1...they just kept extending deadlines & passing new rounds of stimulus.
I was referring to the PPP loans, not the stimulus payments. I think the stimulus payments were ok. If I recall correctly, they were income based - the wealthy didn't get them

I'm a retired CPA. I have 3 good friends that own businesses - 2 got seven-figure PPP loans, the other $550k. They didn't need them.

Three is hardly a representative sample size, but I also heard many stories from other businesses that were doing just fine during the pandemic. Other businesses were destroyed. It would have been better if they could have figured out how to save those businesses rather than just reward everyone.

I was referring to the PPP loans, not the stimulus payments. I think the stimulus payments were ok. If I recall correctly, they were income based - the wealthy didn't get them

I'm a retired CPA. I have 3 good friends that own businesses - 2 got seven-figure PPP loans, the other $550k. They didn't need them.

Three is hardly a representative sample size, but I also heard many stories from other businesses that were doing just fine during the pandemic. Other businesses were destroyed. It would have been better if they could have figured out how to save those businesses rather than just reward everyone.
As far as that very first round of PPP money, they were in a 'print money & ask questions later' part of world history. The money was designed to keep people employed through (& subsequent to) the pandemic, when employers would have otherwise needed to lay people off. In that regard, it worked.

I'm a practicing CPA & work exclusively with small/ultra-small businesses. The biggest PPP allotment I saw was about $90K, all based on payroll. The issue I have is when those same businesses got round 2 of PPP the following year. I believe all you had to do was check an attestation that your business had been impaired by the pandemic & that the money was needed to keep you afloat. Those were the ones that were IMO, unneeded. Just like those that claimed pandemic unemployment while still working, or refused offers to work while accepting pandemic u/c.

As far as that very first round of PPP money, they were in a 'print money & ask questions later' part of world history. The money was designed to keep people employed through (& subsequent to) the pandemic, when employers would have otherwise needed to lay people off. In that regard, it worked.

I'm a practicing CPA & work exclusively with small/ultra-small businesses. The biggest PPP allotment I saw was about $90K, all based on payroll. The issue I have is when those same businesses got round 2 of PPP the following year. I believe all you had to do was check an attestation that your business had been impaired by the pandemic & that the money was needed to keep you afloat. Those were the ones that were IMO, unneeded. Just like those that claimed pandemic unemployment while still working, or refused offers to work while accepting pandemic u/c.

Are they truly loans or more grants? My accountant suggested I apply but I was afraid I would have to pay it back eventually. Plus there was not the need....

Reactions: AreWeCross
It's almost like we should do pre pandemic planning to address what we would do in situations like this. How will we help and target those businesses and individuals in need?

Hmm ... planning ... being prepared ... NOT the American way.

This makes entirely too much sense.

I’ll be real though, after this and 2008 I think they already have plans in place and they are working as designed.

It’s like “hey bros, we see stuff is tough right now, we will send some help. Ooops we accidentally helped the wealthy again. Maybe next time.”

The first round of PPP only required that you check a box attesting that your business was, or may be, impacted. It was worded such that essentially every business owner could legitimately answer yes, since there was so much unknown about what was to come.
To be eligible for the 2nd round, you had to have a measurable decline in gross revenue during a couple of defined periods, it's been long enough that I don't recall the exact details.

I know a grocery store owner that has 3 stores and received almost 500 grand. The one sure business that thrived during the pandemic were grocery stores and they should have been exempt from ppp.

I know a grocery store owner that has 3 stores and received almost 500 grand. The one sure business that thrived during the pandemic were grocery stores and they should have been exempt from ppp.
I know someone that owns a business that has anywhere from.$5-$10 million in net income on about $75 million in sales. He received about $500k. I asked him why he asked for it and he said "it's free money, why not?". I am sure any of his 30-40 Lamborghinis, Ferraris and classic muscle cars couldn't have helped him out of his horrible situation. 'Murica

So we received a little over 200K in PPP money. We are a sales organization that is 100% commission in the building industry. When Covid hit nobody knew what was going to be considered essential or non essential. We were worried if we went a few months of no commission we would basically be out of business, which we would have. Fortunately nothing slowed down and we were left with a windfall of cash. We used this to continue to bonus employees plus help buy out an existing partner. It’s been amazing for us and our employees. Guess we were on the right side of it.

So we received a little over 200K in PPP money. We are a sales organization that is 100% commission in the building industry. When Covid hit nobody knew what was going to be considered essential or non essential. We were worried if we went a few months of no commission we would basically be out of business, which we would have. Fortunately nothing slowed down and we were left with a windfall of cash. We used this to continue to bonus employees plus help buy out an existing partner. It’s been amazing for us and our employees. Guess we were on the right side of it.
Good to hear. As usual, some companies did the right thing (either not taking the money when they didn't need it, or using it to reward their employees) and some companies were greedy bastards. Whenever you give out that much money that quickly, you are going to have a lot of abuse. I hope that they go after and punish at least the major abusers.

Fed finds 75% of $800 billion Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) didn't reach workers. More than 90% of the PPP loans were forgiven, going to the ultra-wealthy. A known scam as it was happening under the Trump admin. All while unemployment was abruptly cut.

Blue collar conservatives voted this grifter into office to fleece the American taxpayer (that’s you)

What was the first red flag….hmmm

Let's go Brandon!! ;)

Good to hear. As usual, some companies did the right thing (either not taking the money when they didn't need it, or using it to reward their employees) and some companies were greedy bastards. Whenever you give out that much money that quickly, you are going to have a lot of abuse. I hope that they go after and punish at least the major abusers.
Using government to buy someone out isn't what the money was for....

I like how people living on govt money got even more govt money. Trump knew what he was doing....buying votes from the poor and stupid lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT