ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Department of Education

If you want Mississippi, Alabama and the rest of the south to care about education, just tie education to their college football teams. Sorry, Alabama, your 6th graders are a bunch of illiterate mouth breathers, looks like no bowl game for you this year. You can guarantee the education standards (or more likely the states lying about the data) would change in a big hurry.

Who else is going to set and enforce any kind of standard? The states? How would that get Mississippi to the same point as Wisconsin? It wouldn't.

Didn't schools used to be run by districts then state? I thought I remember reading about how each school could teach what they wanted to teach and what not. Am I wrong on this? Wasn't Iowa doing pretty good when they had control and not the government? Maybe I am way off on this, but I thought I remember that Iowa was near the top in education and it was because the state controlled the education and what was taught. Why did that change?

I don't know what to do, but there is laundry list of problems in education and I don't have the answers for.

I think there should be national standards for education so the Dept of Education sounds like a good idea.
What I don't like are states spending more money on fake online schools, home schooling or religious schools. If the public schools are not good enough for you, fund the alternative yourself. The public schools will have more funding if it is not wasted on the alternatives above.

Im just playing devils advocate. Should people's property taxes that go to the public schools be taken out? I mean these people who choose to send their children to private school should fund their child education. But what about all the people who don't have children in the public schools? Should their money go towards those schools as well? I mean I guess if its good for 1, why not the other?

Im just asking. There is a large chunk of $$ that goes to the schools out of property taxes. And it seems like every year, that's the only line item that is increasing. I am just curious, could the public schools do w/out that $$? Maybe people's whose kids attend public school, have their property tax go their school?

Yea. How about you go and teach a bunch of second graders who haven't eaten anything all day because their parents suck and can't even provide food for them on a regular basis.

Have they gotten rid of the "Obama" healthy lunch program. I realize it had good intentions, but there were students who were throwing out TRAYS full of food. They did not like it and would rather starve than eat it. My buddies wife works in a public school and she said they had to start making children stay inside until they ate. Because kids thought it was so gross and nasty they didn't want to eat.

So how does one solve that problem?

Im just playing devils advocate. Should people's property taxes that go to the public schools be taken out? I mean these people who choose to send their children to private school should fund their child education. But what about all the people who don't have children in the public schools? Should their money go towards those schools as well? I mean I guess if its good for 1, why not the other?

Im just asking. There is a large chunk of $$ that goes to the schools out of property taxes. And it seems like every year, that's the only line item that is increasing. I am just curious, could the public schools do w/out that $$? Maybe people's whose kids attend public school, have their property tax go their school?
Good school districts attract people to move to that district. If the property taxes are an issue for you then move somewhere that education isn't as important, like Mississippi.

Reactions: srams21
Have they gotten rid of the "Obama" healthy lunch program. I realize it had good intentions, but there were students who were throwing out TRAYS full of food. They did not like it and would rather starve than eat it. My buddies wife works in a public school and she said they had to start making children stay inside until they ate. Because kids thought it was so gross and nasty they didn't want to eat.

Fine. Let's just bring in Big Macs and Fries.

F it. We're already going down the Idiocracy path.

Reactions: unIowa
Where did I say students couldn't eat?
giphy.gif

Good school districts attract people to move to that district. If the property taxes are an issue for you then move somewhere that education isn't as important, like Mississippi.

But why do people who don't have children in the schools pay them? I suppose they could make up retirement communities and people who don't want to pay them could live there. I just don't understand it.

Our property taxes go to our local school which we don't use. I could care less, because I have several friends who teach within the district, so I look at it I am helping them out, so they have a job.

But Im just curious all these people say these schools are under funded and a voucher program will kill the schools. These places are still getting some coin from the taxes in the community.

It doesn't and this is what I see. It's crazy how much "healthy" food is tossed in the trash. I would rather the kids have a few tater tots in their stomach than California Medley in the garbage.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974

I see that you're upset. This makes sense considering you work in a public school as a....wait for it......gym teacher. I would be mad too if I had to teach gym and come to the realization in an overgrown kid.

To ensure that all children, even those from very ignorant and poor states like those from the South, can still get a decent education.

Because let's be honest, if you let some states have their way, the South winning the Civil War will find its way into the textbooks and evolution will have to take a back seat to whatever, "Of Pandas and People," bullshit the creationists try putting out there.
That's absolutely not what it does. Try again.

Huey, is definitely full retard these days.

Seriously? I wasn't aware of that. Could you post a link to this alleged "micromanagement"? I thought they just required a district that accepted federal money to feed poor kids to prepare lunches that met basic dietary and health guidelines. TIA.
Wouldn't that be micromanaging then?

I see that you're upset. This makes sense considering you work in a public school as a....wait for it......gym teacher. I would be mad too if I had to teach gym and come to the realization in an overgrown kid.
Not upset at all. I am well aware this world is full of stupid people...like yourself. The funny thing is, with your last reply, my first thought was "Is this guy in middle school?"

It doesn't and this is what I see. It's crazy how much "healthy" food is tossed in the trash. I would rather the kids have a few tater tots in their stomach than California Medley in the garbage.

While I understand what you are saying, I don't think attempting to get healthy food choices into schools is a bad thing. Maybe it would help our exploding diabetes and obese populations.

However, if the end result is that much food being thrown away and kids are left hungry that makes you job even harder. What about trying to find somewhat of a balance?

Not upset at all. I am well aware this world is full of stupid people...like yourself. The funny thing is, with your last reply, my first thought was "Is this guy in middle school?"

Your job is to educate students on healthy eating, diet, and physical activity. However our population keeps getting fatter.

Conclusion: you are not good at your job, Tom. Lucky though, the teacher union will keep you around.

While I understand what you are saying, I don't think attempting to get healthy food choices into schools is a bad thing. Maybe it would help our exploding diabetes and obese populations.

However, if the end result is that much food being thrown away and kids are left hungry that makes you job even harder. What about trying to find somewhat of a balance?
What about quit trying to have the Federal government manage every other little thing and learn to do things on your own?

The only thing that improved once the DOE was put forth, was the number of school shootings per year. You try to package up a one size fits all curriculum, which features history books, that any good historian will tell you are full of half-truths and misleading purpose,etc.

If you're one of those types that believe education is failing, and you should be, then why are you whining about the main entity behind it being put in check?

Liberals, how do you even get out of bed in the morning.

I am totally with you, and not to sound like a teacher, but I blame the parents for not introducing foods to their kids. I'm not saying to start giving kids cake, and I know we have an obesity problem, but there are a lot of vegetables offered the kids won't even try. I would rather they not be hungry, so they wouldn't have that distraction in the afternoons.

But then some of the home packed lunches are completely full of garbage too. I also get annoyed with the 2nd helping offering we have at my school. Most of the most overweight kids I have get a second lunch every damn day! What the hell parents??

Your job is to educate students on healthy eating, diet, and physical activity. However our population keeps getting fatter.

Conclusion: you are not good at your job, Tom. Lucky though, the teacher union will keep you around.
166.gif

Didn't schools used to be run by districts then state? I thought I remember reading about how each school could teach what they wanted to teach and what not. Am I wrong on this? Wasn't Iowa doing pretty good when they had control and not the government? Maybe I am way off on this, but I thought I remember that Iowa was near the top in education and it was because the state controlled the education and what was taught. Why did that change?

I don't know what to do, but there is laundry list of problems in education and I don't have the answers for.
Yes, but input can be brought directly by the communities and they can actually DO what they want to do, without worrying about what the Feds have to say about it.

But why do people who don't have children in the schools pay them? I suppose they could make up retirement communities and people who don't want to pay them could live there. I just don't understand it.

Our property taxes go to our local school which we don't use. I could care less, because I have several friends who teach within the district, so I look at it I am helping them out, so they have a job.

But Im just curious all these people say these schools are under funded and a voucher program will kill the schools. These places are still getting some coin from the taxes in the community.
I don't use any of the parks in town but my taxes go towards their upkeep. I'm not a member of the local 27 hole municipal golf course but my taxes go towards it. I don't own an airplane but my taxes go towards the airport. I don't use the bike trail but my taxes go towards it. I don't have kids in little league but my taxes go towards the fields they play on. I don't swim at the municipal pool but my taxes go towards it. I'm not a member of the local Y but my taxes go towards it. I don't go to very many movies at the local theater but the city thought it was a valuable asset to the city and my taxes go towards it. Do I need to go on?

Fine. Let's just bring in Big Macs and Fries.

F it. We're already going down the Idiocracy path.
How about you just worry about educating them first. Maybe teach them about nutrition, instead of all the other PC BS that gets taught these days?

How about you just worry about educating them first. Maybe teach them about nutrition, instead of all the other PC BS that gets taught these days?

Nutrition is taught. However, it gets right out the window when they get home and their stupid parents have the cupboard loaded with Snickers and Chips.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I am totally with you, and not to sound like a teacher, but I blame the parents for not introducing foods to their kids.

You should.

Not only do you have to teach the curriculum and filter through the kids who don't want to be there, but on top of that you have to deal with parents. One of my buddies is a high school teacher who previously worked in the corporate world. Five years into his teaching career, he is now thinking of returning to his old job. Why? The parents. 100% of the reason.

Nutrition is taught. However, it gets right out the window when they get home and their stupid parents have the cupboard loaded with Snickers and Chips.
That's not for other to decide though, and if you're a good parent, like Prime, you have fruit and yogurt as snacks instead of that crap. It's just as cheap to supply that compared to the crap you speak of.

Yea. How about you go and teach a bunch of second graders who haven't eaten anything all day because their parents suck and can't even provide food for them on a regular basis.

So first it's "parents can't provide food" to "cupboards are loaded with food"

You dumb

That's not for other to decide though, and if you're a good parent, like Prime, you have fruit and yogurt as snacks instead of that crap. It's just as cheap to supply that compared to the crap you speak of.

Someone has to decide what the kids have at lunch for school.

Your post makes no sense. Just like your predictions.

Huey made one major error. To the South there was no Civil War. It was the War of Northern Aggression.
so true!!! LOL. I was on a tour of Stonewall Jackson's house when I heard that term the first time. According to the tour guide, had Stonewall Jackson not fallen ill, the South may not have had to quit prior to their victory (I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly).

So first it's "parents can't provide food" to "cupboards are loaded with food"

You dumb

Every student's situation is different. Your the one who suggested we don't feed kids lunch. Some kids don't get enough food at home and others get crappy food. Either way, they are malnourished.

And it's your dumb ... not you dumb. Did you even graduate middle school?

Because the South is a bunch of inbred rednecks isn't a good enough answer for me. Most of the south is way, way behind in regards to public education so obviously the Department of Education isn't working.

Feelings and niceties trump actual outcomes.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Every student's situation is different. Your the one who suggested we don't feed kids lunch. Some kids don't get enough food at home and others get crappy food. Either way, they are malnourished.

And it's your dumb ... not you dumb. Did you even graduate middle school?

It's you're, dipshit.

Did you pass grade school?

For the betterment of the entire community. Do you need a civics lesson?

I pay for lots of roads that I never use. How about I pay for only the roads in my community that I use.

This is so correct and I like how we fund our local schools from the standpoint of where the money comes from...well diversified. Having said that control over curriculum, testing, etc should be dictated to the sources that are supplying the majority of those funds. I have always been a "he who has the gold makes the rules" and since a majority of funding for education comes from property and local sales tax I think that should be the first source of influence on what and how things are being taught. The state should then set minimum thresholds/guidelines for all of its schools to strive for and then maybe even umbrella that with a federal guideline BUT the higher up you go the less nuts and bolts you get.

If I was running a school I wouldn't want to have to accept any federal money or deal with any of their regulations. IMO that entity is too far removed from individual classrooms to be effective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT