ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz is Going to Play to Win @ Nebraska for a Number of Reasons

May 27, 2009
Winning @ Nebraska does a lot, and it's easily going to be our most winnable game of the next 3 games we play.

1. Locks up B1G Coach of the Year
  2. Locks up excellent bowl game
  3. Locks up 10 win season (8th in tenure and 3rd in last 5 years)
  4. Probably guarantees top 25 finish in AP or Coaches Poll (11th in tenure and 5 of the last 6 years)
  5. Paves the way for what could be an 11 win season assuming we lose B1G Championship but win bowl. And if that happens it would be the 3rd time in tenure with 11 or more wins, and 11 wins would likely means a top 15 finish in Coaches or AP poll (would be 8th time in tenure finishing top 15 or better in Coaches or AP).
  6. Ferentz hasn't lost to Nebraska two times in a row since the 2011, 2012 games. Beating Nebraska on Friday gives him a 9-2 record against the Cornhuskers since 2013.
  7. Iowa hasn't lost in Lincoln since 2011.
  8. Keeps Nebraska from bowling
  9. The positive momentum and press in terms of morale, recruiting, etc. it will give will help ease the sting of a likely 20+ point loss in B1G championship and very likely bowl game loss.

#1: why wouldn't he want to win
#2: one game closer to having the most wins in the B10
I mean, he's not going to do anything to try to improve chances at winning B1G Championship game is what I mean. We're going to play all our players, and we're not going to hold anything back to try and be better prepared and/or healthy for B1G title game.

I would be shocked if any Hawkeye football player is going over to Lincoln with the idea that they've secured their place in the championship game so they'll overlook this game. Nebraska got them at home last year, took away their chance at another championship game. As noted, the Hawks have plenty to play for. No cinch that they'll win this game, but they'll put their best effort out there on Friday.

Winning @ Nebraska does a lot, and it's easily going to be our most winnable game of the next 3 games we play.

1. Locks up B1G Coach of the Year
  2. Locks up excellent bowl game
  3. Locks up 10 win season (8th in tenure and 3rd in last 5 years)
  4. Probably guarantees top 25 finish in AP or Coaches Poll (11th in tenure and 5 of the last 6 years)
  5. Paves the way for what could be an 11 win season assuming we lose B1G Championship but win bowl. And if that happens it would be the 3rd time in tenure with 11 or more wins, and 11 wins would likely means a top 15 finish in Coaches or AP poll (would be 8th time in tenure finishing top 15 or better in Coaches or AP).
  6. Ferentz hasn't lost to Nebraska two times in a row since the 2011, 2012 games. Beating Nebraska on Friday gives him a 9-2 record against the Cornhuskers since 2013.
  7. Iowa hasn't lost in Lincoln since 2011.
  8. Keeps Nebraska from bowling
  9. The positive momentum and press in terms of morale, recruiting, etc. it will give will help ease the sting of a likely 20+ point loss in B1G championship and very likely bowl game loss.
Ferentz could be thinking all that.

Or he could be thinking, "you play to win the game! Hello?!," Herm Edwards

Reactions: BurgHawk87
It does not matter the game, Iowa will do what it does.

Run into 10 man fronts
Commit few penalties
Punt, and punt some more
Not give up the big play until defense is worn down

It’ll be a 17-7 game if Iowa does “well”. If we see a regression of Hill back to his MN, NW games, 6-3

How do you not pick the Northwestern coach as B10 COTY? He had no prior HC experience and was unexpectedly vaulted into the post-Fitzgerald mess with pre-season win-loss O/U odds set at 2.5, last place. They currently sit at 6-5, 2nd in the Big Ten West.

I saw a Nebraska fan strutting around at Lowe’s in Altoona today. He was wearing a red hat, a red pullover, and was getting into a red truck.

I don’t know how Iowa overcomes that on the field or in recruiting.

• Haha
Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
I saw a Nebraska fan strutting around at Lowe’s in Altoona today. He was wearing a red hat, a red pullover, and was getting into a red truck.

I don’t know how Iowa overcomes that on the field or in recruiting.
Show the recruit that everyone in Nebraska has an excessive drooling problem , 3rd nipples and are dating Their Cousins while calling Their Aunts Mom . Nebraska pretty much sells itself in those ways.

How do you not pick the Northwestern coach as B10 COTY? He had no prior HC experience and was unexpectedly vaulted into the post-Fitzgerald mess with pre-season win-loss O/U odds set at 2.5, last place. They currently sit at 6-5, 2nd in the Big Ten West.
Well for one he lost to Ferentz, who is also in the running

7. Flip Grant Brix from Huskers to Iowa..or ksu/ok.
C'mon Grant play for a winning program!

Well for one he lost to Ferentz, who is also in the running
I don't think that changes many (if any) votes. Braun was coaching defense at North Dakota State last year. Prior to 2023, he had never coached at FBS school. He was thrown into a very bad situation with no prior experience and greatly exceeded expectations. OP claims Ferentz is "a lock" for COY with a win at Nebraska. I don't think that is the case by any means and Braun's achevement is much more compelling IMO.

Most Hawkeye haters predict Iowa losses but then ask "who've we played".
Well, we have played and beaten most of the teams you predicted would beat us.
9-2.
I also find that amusing. A lot of the same guys who predict we're going to lose to whom ever, (almost every week) then come on after we win, and say sure but we don't play anyone. All you can do, is beat the teams on your schedule, nothing more, and our staff has NO input on the conference schedule....

Keep an eye on things. The B1G would like to sneak another team into the Bowl line up.

My only concern is the team coming out flat. Lucky for us, little debbie had their hearts tore out last week against Wisky in OT. Hopefully that hangover is still there, while the Hawks are riding high.

If the Hawks can score first, it will put immense pressure on little debbie, which can lead to their signature turnovers. Wisky's defense has taken a massive step back, so I think they'll be in for a rude awakening if they think Purdy Jr. can run up and down the field.

I also want to win because I despise those scumbag bug eater fans. They are the absolute worst.

Reactions: kwik44
Hes gonna win so I can tell my Omaha family GTFO for a full calendar year anytime football talk comes up. Thats why!

They’re still barely bowl eligible and their schedule wasn’t super tough. Not a lot of key injuries either. If Iowa beats Nebraska, Ferentz is a shoe-in.

Not saying Kirk will win it, but 6-5 playing in the West isn't a strong case for the honor.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I would be shocked if any Hawkeye football player is going over to Lincoln with the idea that they've secured their place in the championship game so they'll overlook this game. Nebraska got them at home last year, took away their chance at another championship game. As noted, the Hawks have plenty to play for. No cinch that they'll win this game, but they'll put their best effort out there on Friday.

I honestly felt this way with KFs comments at the end of the Illinois game. I was going to be totally fine if the 2nd team line and QB had reps. Unless that's a big secret for the title game.

I know something is wrong with me but this is the least I've cared about a Nebraska game in awhile. It would be cool to have them have a losing season again and always great to beat them. This is the #1 game I hate losing because they have been the weakest of our rivals for awhile plus... their fans, barf.

I think Coach Rhule is great and will be great, very opposite of all the coaches they have had pretty much in all of the 2000s. He's optimistic but realistic right now.

Not saying Kirk will win it, but 6-5 playing in the West isn't a strong case for the honor.
It is when virtually nobody expected them to win more than 2 games. If they beat Illinois to finish 7-5 and sole possession of 2nd in the West, Braun will have a strong case. I think Kirk has done a good job (pre-season media voted Iowa 1st or 2nd) Braun has done a great job IMO (pre-season unanimous last place).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT