ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz is Going to Play to Win @ Nebraska for a Number of Reasons

It is when virtually nobody expected them to win more than 2 games. If they beat Illinois to finish 7-5 and sole possession of 2nd in the West, Braun will have a strong case. I think Kirk has done a good job (pre-season media voted Iowa 1st or 2nd) Braun has done a great job IMO (pre-season unanimous last place).
I certainly want Kirk to win, but your post is spot on. There were people thinking NW may not win a game in the conference this year, and they've played hard and been in most of their losses (like Iowa), not just the 6 wins.

Winning @ Nebraska does a lot, and it's easily going to be our most winnable game of the next 3 games we play.

1. Locks up B1G Coach of the Year
  2. Locks up excellent bowl game
  3. Locks up 10 win season (8th in tenure and 3rd in last 5 years)
  4. Probably guarantees top 25 finish in AP or Coaches Poll (11th in tenure and 5 of the last 6 years)
  5. Paves the way for what could be an 11 win season assuming we lose B1G Championship but win bowl. And if that happens it would be the 3rd time in tenure with 11 or more wins, and 11 wins would likely means a top 15 finish in Coaches or AP poll (would be 8th time in tenure finishing top 15 or better in Coaches or AP).
  6. Ferentz hasn't lost to Nebraska two times in a row since the 2011, 2012 games. Beating Nebraska on Friday gives him a 9-2 record against the Cornhuskers since 2013.
  7. Iowa hasn't lost in Lincoln since 2011.
  8. Keeps Nebraska from bowling
  9. The positive momentum and press in terms of morale, recruiting, etc. it will give will help ease the sting of a likely 20+ point loss in B1G championship and very likely bowl game loss.
All that and Iowa still can recruit. You beat the worst Neb teams of all time. You should be happy you got the when they were down.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
All that and Iowa still can recruit. You beat the worst Neb teams of all time. You should be happy you got the when they were down.
Nebraska was very fortunate to beat Iowa in 2014 and 2022, otherwise it would be 11 loses in a row. You guys can rationalize “down decade” “worse Nebraska teams of all time” etc etc, but Iowa has been head and shoulders above Nebraska for a long time. I’m sure Nebraska will make some progress under Rhule, he is a good coach, but you can never take back this decade of dominance Iowa has had. Good luck in the future. Go Hawks!

Nebraska was very fortunate to beat Iowa in 2014 and 2022, otherwise it would be 11 loses in a row. You guys can rationalize “down decade” “worse Nebraska teams of all time” etc etc, but Iowa has been head and shoulders above Nebraska for a long time. I’m sure Nebraska will make some progress under Rhule, he is a good coach, but you can never take back this decade of dominance Iowa has had. Good luck in the future. Go Hawks!
Nebraska handed you Iowa games in each of those years, Nebraska beat themselves, Everyone knows it! Iowa is coached well. I'm not a Homer, but to say Iowa beat Nebraska in those other yrs is a joke.
You know it!

Nebraska handed you Iowa games in each of those years, Nebraska beat themselves, Everyone knows it! Iowa is coached well. I'm not a Homer, but to say Iowa beat Nebraska in those other yrs is a joke.
You know it!
It couldn't be that Iowa excels at forcing turnovers and making offenses uncomfortable, especially offenses like Nebraska trotted out in the Riley/Frost eras. Or that Iowa has long recognized the value of quality special teams play and what that can do for you in close games.

No, it must be just a series of flukes that led to a decade of dominance by the Hawkeyes.

I know many really nice Nebraska fans. But almost universally their minds are warped when it comes to football. Logic goes out the door, facts don't matter, and there is an excuse for every failure.

Look out, because my UNI Panthers will be coming for you hard next September.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
You know it!
I was at the 2017 game when the final score was 52-14. Nebraska didn't beat themselves that day.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
You know it!
I said Nebraska was very fortunate to win those two games in the series ... DeJean being out was the only reason Nebraska was able to hit on the big plays to Palmer in 22, Nebraska very fortunate there. In 2014 Iowa blew the lead and lost in OT if I'm remember correctly ... should be an 11 game winning streak! You know it! You cannot handle the truth! (sure, some of the Iowa wins were very close but Iowa KNOWS how to win close games, Nebraska (look at their track record on those type of games over the last decade) does NOT! Go Hawks!

You know it!
Nebby never gets beaten, they always beat themselves. Been hearing that for decades. You should stop beating yourselves so much, you'll go blind.

I thought 2017 was worst all time? Or was it 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021...

I thought 2017 was worst all time? Or was it 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021...
Funny thing since pelini left it’s been a broken record from 15’ on, maybe minus 16’. Even when they finally won last year it was gloating with laughter you guys got beat by the worse Nebraska team ever. Basically it’s been “well this is the worst Nebraska team” you beat excuse for almost the last decade to try and diminish all losses.

The fans who talk like this reminds me of the arrogance and hubris frost had in his introductory presser when he said you better get us now this is the worst we will be. And yet it wasn’t, just the beginning of many years of sucking.

Reactions: ichawk24
Funny thing since pelini left it’s been a broken record from 15’ on, maybe minus 16’. Even when they finally won last year it was gloating with laughter you guys got beat by the worse Nebraska team ever. Basically it’s been “well this is the worst Nebraska team” you beat excuse for almost the last decade to try and diminish all losses.

The fans who talk like this reminds me of the arrogance and hubris frost had in his introductory presser when he said you better get us now this is the worst we will be. And yet it wasn’t, just the beginning of many years of sucking.
Kind of reminds me of all the Nebby blather about this unproven 5 star high school QB Ravioli. 😜

Kind of reminds me of all the Nebby blather about this unproven 5 star high school QB Ravioli. 😜

tumblr_olgn6826dz1tkb2p0o1_500.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT