ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentzes leave, what’s the plan?

hawksense

HR MVP
Jan 16, 2002
I’m tired of the bitching and moaning about the program. Also tired of the impotent offense with no change in sight.

If the divorce occurs, what’s the plan once they’re gone?

It’s been said before, but here’s a plan that should be relatively easy to put in place:
  • Elevate LeVar to head coach
  • Fire Barnett
  • Pay Phil to stay as DC for the rest of his career, or elevate Seth Wallace to DC if Phil leaves
  • Give LeVar free rein to hire the best OC, OL coach, and special teams coach he can find
This approach preserves continuity and the Iowa football culture while maintaining the strong defense and special teams and bringing competence to the OC position.

I think bringing in a whole new staff is usually a mistake, as it increases the risk of going the way of NE and other programs that have changed coaches like changing their clothes and floundered as a result.

Last edited:
Beth needs to hire Levar as HC, keep Phil as DC as well as the rest of the staff minus George Barnett. Give Levar an open check book to bring in the Oregon State OC to turn this god awful offense around.

Or Phil as head coach, Seth Wallace DC, and the rest as stated.
OregonSt OC is the HC ... Parker is stuck in that awful scheme Which works vs bad teams. He needs to go too. Blow it up and at least make it exciting and fun. They haven’t won anything in 25 years anyway.

I really like the idea of Woods as HC, and I think most fans would embrace it. He's an Iowan, played for the Hawks, played in the NFL and has been in the program since 2008.

But, no HC experience might keep him from getting the job.
I don’t think his lack of HC experience keeps the job from him. Now, hiring BF as OC without any OC experience — that was extremely stupid. A coordinator has to have proven X’s and O’s coaching chops. The head coach, on the other hand, needs to be able to manage his staff, relate to his players, and recruit. LeVar has been around long enough to handle those duties without any problem, IMO.

It’s been said before, but here’s a plan that should be relatively easy to put in place:
  • Elevate LeVar to head coach
  • Fire Barnett
  • Pay Phil to stay as DC for the rest of his career, or elevate Seth Wallace to DC if Phil leaves
  • Give LeVar free reign to hire the best OC, OL coach, and special teams coach he can find
This approach preserves continuity and the Iowa football culture while maintaining the strong defense and special teams and bringing competence to the OC position.

I think bringing in a whole new staff is usually a mistake, as it increases the risk of going the way of NE and other programs that have changed coaches like changing their clothes and floundered as a result.
Give Phil a pay bump and title of associate head coach. Phil mentors one of his Defensive assistants on his system.
LeVar can breathe some life into the offense with his own OC.

I don’t think his lack of HC experience keeps the job from him. Now, hiring BF as OC without any OC experience — that was extremely stupid. A coordinator has to have proven X’s and O’s coaching chops. The head coach, on the other hand, needs to be able to manage his staff, relate to his players, and recruit. LeVar has been around long enough to handle those duties without any problem, IMO.
I tend to agree. A modern HC is a CEO. The program leader - they don't diagram plays in the dirt.

We'll see what Beth thinks - and probably in the not to distant future.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
OregonSt OC is the HC ... Parker is stuck in that awful scheme Which works vs bad teams. He needs to go too. Blow it up and at least make it exciting and fun. They haven’t won anything in 25 years anyway.
Jonathan Smith is the head coach, Brian Lindgren is the OC. Both have been at OSU since 2018 working together. Bring in a new Brian to replace BarF.

The only internal promotion I would support is Phil Parker because he certainly has earned a shot. And at his age he wouldn't stick around long successful or not. Kind of an extended interim coach to keep some continuity and still allow brand new coordinators. Maybe Woods is one of those guys.

Iowa needs to freshen up. I want to break this Ferentz culture that has become way too stagnant. If it's not promoting parker (who I doubt would do it anyways) then get someone outside the program. Ferentz was loyal to a fault with too many of his cronies and family. The university doesn't have to be.

Keep in mind this whole coaching tree began with Hayden Fry who had ZERO ties to the university when he came here. Sometimes trees get big and fall down and you plant a new tree.

Bob stoops.
ill-allow-it-sombrero.gif

Clean house on the offensive side of the ball.

Kirk needs to retire.

Another yawn 8-4/9-3 season against an absolutely brutal B1G West doesn't really indicate where the program is at.

Once we get the western teams into the conference, Iowa will struggle to go 6-6.

Clean house on the offensive side of the ball.

Kirk needs to retire.

Another yawn 8-4/9-3 season against an absolutely brutal B1G West doesn't really indicate where the program is at.

Once we get the western teams into the conference, Iowa will struggle to go 6-6.
Yep. The schedule is a massive break for the Ferentz'. The combination of Minny, Nebby, MSU, Purdue and Northwestern are as bad as a group as they ever will be.

You can be a below average team and win all those games.

I’m tired of the bitching and moaning about the program. Also tired of the impotent offense with no change in sight.

If the divorce occurs, what’s the plan once they’re gone?
Not sure if you are implying that KF will be fired? Will not and should not happen. A new OC and OL coach, yes.

I still think Bob Stoops is the best man for the job.
I’d be fine with that. However, it obviously isn’t a long-term solution, and I’d be surprised if Bob wanted to take that on at this point. LeVar would obviously have at least 20-25 years of coaching in him and would do a lot to maintain stability, IMO.

But heck — if Bob wanted to live out a dream and right the ship, then pass the torch to a guy like LeVar, I’d be on board with that for sure.

Agree with so many comments here.

Back a Brinks truck up to Phil Parker's house and make sure he stays as DC. Give him autonomy to do what he wants. Keep doing what he's doing.

Hire Lavar? Sure, no problem. More than happy with that. Let him still coach special teams too. I'm sure he can do both.

Keep Bell, Betts, Hodge, Wallace. That will continue our coaching stability.

Barnett and Brian absolutely have to go. Zero question about that.

The rest can be evaluated and determined what to do. I don't think we know what Coach Copeland can do. His players are never focused on.

Barnes seems good but what will he do without his family...? legit question. Not being sarcastic or snarky.

This is all something we talk about so easily but these people do have families and it is their job. Coaching is hard. It's hard to be around negativity. I'm sure I've had a few players and families wanting me fired from my job and it hurts. However, these stakes are too high. This is the biggest money maker in our state. We are about to be smashed into oblivion if we keep doing what we are doing starting next season.

1. Hire new coach
2. See how it goes
I agree with this. I guess I’m on the side of cleaning house. Yes, Phil Parker is great. If he wants to stay and be DC for the new coach and if the new coach wants him to stay, I’d like to see it happen, but it doesn’t have to be a dealbreaker. I could see if Kirk leaves soon, Parker leaves and goes to someplace like Alabama or LSU and gives it five years as DC at a contender to see if he can win a national title. I think he’d have that option.

I think Iowa can find a coach with a staff who has the ability to get Iowa bowl eligible every year. That’s always been enough for Kirk. The question is can we find someone who sees Iowa as an opportunity to do more and do it consistently? Hayden had that attitude when he took the job.

Instead we will get Kirk riding out his contract with son by side until 2029. And aw shucks, we’ll win some games and lose some games and probably play in some bowl games and maybe even win one or two. That’s football. That’s Iowa football.

Beth needs to hire Levar as HC, keep Phil as DC as well as the rest of the staff minus George Barnett. Give Levar an open check book to bring in the Oregon State OC to turn this god awful offense around.

Or Phil as head coach, Seth Wallace DC, and the rest as stated.
And tell Brian to go **** himself.

Reactions: your_master5
What is the fascination with Levar as HC? He is even less qualified to be head coach as Brian was to be OC.
My thoughts on this exactly.

Like what exactly are his qualifications that have 66% of the posts in this thread saying definitively to hire him as the next HC?

Keep him on staff, sure! But new HC?? Must be missing something.

Iowa hired a head coach in the not too distant past that came from the Hawkeye family, but had no college HC experience. It didn’t turn out so well. Just something to keep in mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT