ADVERTISEMENT

Fever’s Response

Hawkbaby

Team MVP
Apr 4, 2018
I don’t think the Fever’s coach is capable of responding to the treatment of Caitlyn hi. There are things she could do. Run Caitlyn off multiple screens and punish the girls guarding her. Make them pay a little. It will give Caitlyn better opportunities to score or dish. It will also toughen up her teammates. Everyone wants to make her just a facilitator but she is a scorer. Force her teammates to set good hard screens. Set a tone. Once again, the coach isn’t capable. Need a little Bob Knight here with his attitude and the offense he ran with Alford.

Yes, for a league full of thugs and a league that encourages rugby style play, CC's teammates not only lack talent, they lack guts and ordinary competitive fire. Somebody in a rec league game does what Carter and others have done to Caitlin, the rest of us don't just stand there, we get in the player's face and make sure it ends right there.

But when CC is assaulted game after game, Boston and her teammates just stand around like little kids at a church picnic. It's disgusting.

Ah, these world-class talents, these "pros" wearing Indiana jerseys are fragile little flowers out for themselves. If Mitchell passes the ball, it's out of absolute desperation. And if Boston makes a shot, it's an accident.

We knew this is probably what would happen, but the reality still stinks like the BS it is.

Caitlin needs to make a higher percentage of her shots since she is relied on to be the team's scorer. Until she gets that shored up, more shots aren't a great answer.

100%.

Everyone loves to blame her teammates but she's not making the open looks right now.

Her team sucks AND she's not shooting well. Not a good combo.

There needs to be a lot of changes for this to work out for all.

Caitlin needs to make a higher percentage of her shots since she is relied on to be the team's scorer. Until she gets that shored up, more shots aren't a great answer.
The problem is still that she has no freedom of movement and is getting beat up and that is effecting her shooting. The coach needs to fix that and there are ways of doing it. Her teammates also need to step up.

If
The problem is still that she has no freedom of movement and is getting beat up and that is effecting her shooting. The coach needs to fix that and there are ways of doing it. Her teammates also need to step up

If players are overcomitting on off the ball defense then there should be back cut opportunities and off the ball screens should be more effective.

Good Lord. Maybe if she wasn't getting mauled every game, she could get in some rhythm . You guys act like its easy getting beat on, and worn down and then it appears no one on her team has her back.....

Good Lord. Maybe if she wasn't getting mauled every game, she could get in some rhythm . You guys act like its easy getting beat on, and worn down and then it appears no one on her team has her back.....
Not really debating the why, but even back in March she was struggling to get in any rhythm against tight bodied defense, and as the defenses go, that's the point--they don't want her to ever find rhythm. That aspect isn't probably going away, so she HAS to make the open ones count when they DO manage to get her some space. Either that, or somehow find new ways to score inside the arc so she can release this pressure on herself to get points.

I'd love for her to get all the time and looks, but outside a rando game like LSU where she is on fire, that wasn't happening against the top teams in the NCAA tourney either.

Reactions: littlez
Not really debating the why, but even back in March she was struggling to get in any rhythm against tight bodied defense, and as the defenses go, that's the point--they don't want her to ever find rhythm. That aspect isn't probably going away, so she HAS to make the open ones count when they DO manage to get her some space. Either that, or somehow find new ways to score inside the arc so she can release this pressure on herself to get points.

I'd love for her to get all the time and looks, but outside a rando game like LSU where she is on fire, that wasn't happening against the top teams in the NCAA tourney either.
I agree that she struggled some in March, BUT numerous games she made Big shots in key moments like vs Neb for the B1G title. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she struggles with her shot the rest of the season. It is funny the different level of grading system she gets though. I mean NO player has EVER come into the pros with her level of hype, scrutiny, and pressure, and almost a bounty on her head by the vets, and yet her numbers are top two all time for rookies, and no one has stuffed the stat sheet like her. She's learning a new system. (as are her team mates), with almost zero practice, and zero off season. If Sides survives, hopeful they'll put this together and figure out how to utilize her skills. I think she'll get in the gym and the weight room in the fall, and she'll make marked improvement as she moves into next season. I fully expect that she'll still be rookie of the year this season, and she'll be in the running for league MVP next......

100%.

Everyone loves to blame her teammates but she's not making the open looks right now.

Her team sucks AND she's not shooting well. Not a good combo.

There needs to be a lot of changes for this to work out for all.
From October to April 7, she played 39 games, including 6 tough NCAA games. Then the awards and media frenzy. With the Fever she's played 11 games in 19 days - 7 of them long road trips. 4 of these games were played in 4 days in LA, Vegas, NY, and Indianapolis. Now she's getting mugged by well rested WNBA players that are just starting their seasons.

Add to that that her teamates and coaches are not helping her as was the case at Iowa.

In spite of all that, she's playing quite well - except for the last game. Blaming her shooting seems to miss the mark by a long ways.

Now my clickbait news stories say the fever hired an old vet to be the enforcer. Did not recognize the name

Fever are a bad team, CC can not overcome that. Need better talent around her. Going to struggle this year. W needs to look at increasing freedom of movement so game more entertaining to watch, not coaches fault. W has went all in on size, athleticism, and physical play, lacking skill players. I can't believe how many bricks I have seen shooting, that may be an overstatement, since to be a brick would actually have to hit the rim/backboard.

Reactions: intrepodor
I don’t think the Fever’s coach is capable of responding to the treatment of Caitlyn hi. There are things she could do. Run Caitlyn off multiple screens and punish the girls guarding her. Make them pay a little. It will give Caitlyn better opportunities to score or dish. It will also toughen up her teammates. Everyone wants to make her just a facilitator but she is a scorer. Force her teammates to set good hard screens. Set a tone. Once again, the coach isn’t capable. Need a little Bob Knight here with his attitude and the offense he ran with Alford.
Caitlin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT