ADVERTISEMENT

Fight Night

Bullethawk31

Team MVP
Dec 3, 2019
Anyone tune in to the fight night stream last night? I missed it but curious if Iowa sent anyone and if anything interesting went down.

Iowa did not send anyone but Dresser & Schwab still took some shots at them

I understand no coaches must attend this event. It's too bad UI does not send anyone. Heck, they just got two local (Waverly) commitments. Fight Night is a great event. The best in Iowa and maybe the best in the country but the returning national champions do not participate. I'm sure they have their reasons but I feel that it's a shame. The state of Iowa wrestling fans were not given the opportunity to see and hear from the UI. I guess everyone will have to remember the debacle that was Thomas Gilman from a few years ago.

I understand no coaches must attend this event. It's too bad UI does not send anyone. Heck, they just got two local (Waverly) commitments. Fight Night is a great event. The best in Iowa and maybe the best in the country but the returning national champions do not participate. I'm sure they have their reasons but I feel that it's a shame. The state of Iowa wrestling fans were not given the opportunity to see and hear from the UI. I guess everyone will have to remember the debacle that was Thomas Gilman from a few years ago.
Well, maybe you actually found your answer in the last line. Lol

In Gilmans speech a few years back, didn't he say at the end of his speech that it was the last time Iowa would be represented there?

Can someone give a breakdown of (1) what fight night is, (2) why iowa doesnt attend (3) any other interesting info about it.

I am apparently woefully uninformed and i am seeing lots of posts about it on facebook. The pictures look like thomas gilman was there (although those could be outdated photos)

Anything anyone from the Iowa program has to say about kicking ass is already known and doesn’t need said.
That is BS and you know it. Fight Night is a way to showcase, support and grow wrestling in the state of Iowa. I would certainly hope the UI would want to support that movement.

I am hopeful the coaching staff does not feel the same as you.

That is BS and you know it. Fight Night is a way to showcase, support and grow wrestling in the state of Iowa. I would certainly hope the UI would want to support that movement.

If what Iowa is currently doing in wrestling, recruiting, selling out CHA with season tickets, etc isn’t growing wrestling in Iowa then sending someone to talk shit and take jabs from inferior programs sure as hell isn’t. Actions speak louder than words. And Iowa is growing wrestling in the state by winning NCAAs and doing everything else they’ve been doing.

Why are you so butthurt they weren’t there?

I hope the Coaches feel exactly the same. Louis Vuitton doesn't stand up on a stage explaining why they're better than Old Navy.

I'm sure he'll come at me for this, but didn't Spooner have a cow about this last year about how we were sure to lose recruits in the state of Iowa due to not going to this? Seems like we did alright with in state recruiting to me.

I'm sure he'll come at me for this, but didn't Spooner have a cow about this last year about how we were sure to lose recruits in the state of Iowa due to not going to this? Seems like we did alright with in state recruiting to me.
I don’t know…. Doesn’t sound like Spooner’s MO. He’s more inclined to call posters for saying stupid stuff, and less likely to encourage staff to say dumb shite in public.

Is the event held in a bar?

If what Iowa is currently doing in wrestling, recruiting, selling out CHA with season tickets, etc isn’t growing wrestling in Iowa then sending someone to talk shit and take jabs from inferior programs sure as hell isn’t. Actions speak louder than words. And Iowa is growing wrestling in the state by winning NCAAs and doing everything else they’ve been doing.

Why are you so butthurt they weren’t there?
Gilman’s performance and Orange-gate aside (either could be contributing factors), I would suspect the bolded in your post has more to do with it. There’s something to be said for taking the the high road when the little dogs are yappin’. And the Program has made great effort to improve its image for recruiting purposes the past several years. Not much to gain on that front by engaging in juvenile mudslinging.

I don’t know…. Doesn’t sound like Spooner’s MO. He’s more inclined to call posters for saying stupid stuff, and less likely to encourage staff to say dumb shite in public.

Is the event held in a bar?
Alright I just reread the original thread from 2018 (super bored tonight). He didn't say as much as I thought, but he certainly wasn't a fan of the Gilman debacle and said we formed a negative image in a "hot bed" of wrestling.

Reactions: el dub
This event doesn’t grow wrestling. You could argue that Iowa not going is an optics issue, but that’s about it. Gilman being stupid is about the only reason most people have ever heard of fight night.

Reactions: Gobblin and el dub
Yup…thought this was settled when Brands sent his rep, Gilman Law Associates to the thing. IMO, it’s one thing to be humble (as the big brother) but you don’t have to take sh*t from your jealous little sister Jan. It’s better to be thought arrogant by not showing up than to prove it by reminding everybody it’s coming up on 20 years since the now HWC West nabbed a win. Solid relationships with other coaches are built in the room and during visits, not in a bar.

Alright I just reread the original thread from 2018 (super bored tonight). He didn't say as much as I thought, but he certainly wasn't a fan of the Gilman debacle and said we formed a negative image in a "hot bed" of wrestling.
Cool. So, it was the second option; not encouraging (discouraging) team from saying stoopid things in public.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Yup…thought this was settled when Brands sent his rep, Gilman Law Associates to the thing. IMO, it’s one thing to be humble (as the big brother) but you don’t have to take sh*t from your jealous little sister Jan. It’s better to be thought arrogant by not showing up than to prove it by reminding everybody it’s coming up on 20 years since the now HWC West nabbed a win. Solid relationships with other coaches are built in the room and during visits, not in a bar.
This is a either a weird or a confusing take i haven’t decided yet. What does being the better of the three teams have to do with the price of tea in China?

Why does Kumaru Usman take a press conference with Colby Covington if he’s the champ? It’s promotion. (Yes he’s probably required lol)

Most Iowa wrestling fans want U of I at that event. I do anyways.

Reactions: pumpdog20
This is a either a weird or a confusing take i haven’t decided yet. What does being the better of the three teams have to do with the price of tea in China?

Why does Kumaru Usman take a press conference with Colby Covington if he’s the champ? It’s promotion. (Yes he’s probably required lol)

They do? Why? I watched it online this morning and fast forward through most of it because it was a complete waste of time.

I will sum it up....."We have x number of returners, x number of freshmen."

I'm guessing there are a whole lot of Iowa wrestling fans who don't even know what this event is. And, as mentioned above, if they know anything it's that some NLWC wrestler ran his mouth there a few years back.

This is a non-event for me and probably many others.

Kamara Usman and the UFC have come to the conclusion that press conferences move the needle in promoting their event; that it's worth their time. Our coaching staff came to the conclusion that Fight Night is not worth their time.

The staff haven't gone the past couple years to the event, and they just sold out for season tickets. I think they are doing just fine on the promotional side of things when it comes to the team.

You're close. This is a great event for HS coaches and fans. I find it odd Iowa doesn’t attend, and think the way they departed with the Gilman bit was just plain idiotic. It’s a nice event and easy lift to attend so why did they have to intentionally be dickish about it? Very poor form.

But does it truly hurt anything? Eh, not really. And is it a big deal? Definitely not.

I follow wrestling fairly close and before Gilman, it barely registered. Most Iowa fans don’t know what it is.

As to your first point, the idea of fight night is for coaches to talk about their program and to give out and take some “good natured” ribbing, right? All I’m saying is that Iowa and Brands make the biggest target and there is nothing in it for Brands to sit there and eat sh*t…good natured or not.

Its a cheese dick event and I'm glad Iowa doesn't attend.

I've been once and only ever heard good things. Nice social time for the sport in a wrestling rich area.

I follow wrestling fairly close and before Gilman, it barely registered. Most Iowa fans don’t know what it is.

As to your first point, the idea of fight night is for coaches to talk about their program and to give out and take some “good natured” ribbing, right? All I’m saying is that Iowa and Brands make the biggest target and there is nothing in it for Brands to sit there and eat sh*t…good natured or not.

Of course you didn't know about it. It's a local event and you don't live in the area. It's an organized rub shoulders event to promote the upcoming college and high school seasons among high school coaches, college coaches, and fans. Yes, there's a definite "roast" element to it but there's plenty of opportunity to give as well as receive. Again, does it matter much that Iowa doesn't go anymore? Nope. Heck, it wouldn't matter much to them if ISU and UNI stopped participating. But the way Iowa exited was really crappy and disappointing to the local fans and coaches. They just came off as dicks. There's no good reason for that.

Last edited:
I've been once and only ever heard good things. Nice social time for the sport in a wrestling rich area.

Of course you didn't know about it. It's a local event and you don't live in the area. It's an organized rub shoulders event to promote the upcoming college and high school seasons among high school coaches, college coaches, and fans. Yes, there's a definite "roast" element to it but there's plenty of opportunity to give as well as receive. Again, does it matter much that Iowa doesn't go anymore? Nope. Heck, it wouldn't matter much to them if ISU and UNI stopped participating. But the way Iowa exited was really crappy and disappointing to the local fans and coaches. They just came off as dicks. There's no good reason for that.
You always come off as a dick. There is no good reason for that either.

I find myself in a strange position here….

Many of you guys spend time around the team and mingle with the coaches. I don’t. But I grew up with them. and it doesn’t surprise me in the least that they have no desire to participate in this event.

TnT are wired different than most folks. And they always have been. It’s part of what makes them so competitive.

The fans on this board sure make it difficult to continue to follow and support the program. Someone has a different opinion and you go off the rails and attack that viewpoint.
Really? It sounds like you are melting. Are you really having difficulty separating fans on a message board from the team you support? My condolences if so…

The fans on this board sure make it difficult to continue to follow and support the program. Someone has a different opinion and you go off the rails and attack that viewpoint.
No doubt there are many idiot “fans” on this forum, but if those idiot fans make you want to stop following and supporting the program that truly is more a you problem than a them problem.

There are tons of idiot fans of all teams. You’ve seen numerous idiot PSU fans on this very forum. You seen at least one idiot fan of ISU(crabby). They are everywhere. If you can’t stomach a few idiot fans either stay away from the boards or stop following sports.

Reactions: Gobblin
Really? It sounds like you are melting. Are you really having difficulty separating fans on a message board from the team you support? My condolences if so…
Especially an anonymous Rivals board where any trolling Tom, Dick or Harry can spout off

Definitely not melting. You think this has me on tilt?! F that!! Don't read more into than there is.

My side of this conversation is complete. You all can continue to bash each other all you want.

Nothing is local anymore and hasn’t been for awhile. The internet changed that. Maybe coaches could get away with talking sh*t back in the day but one wrong slip or bad joke can cost somebody their job or at least raise the ire of the wrestling social media community. Gilman proved that as that recording was on the interweb the next day. Dickish? Agreed…Gilman understood the assignment, just needed to work on his delivery ;) It seems Tom has become hyperaware of the media and narratives. Even when Dresser called him an "orange" on our version of the national media, he didn't take the bait for the most part. No % in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT