ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE DAVIS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

hehe I remember the days in the mid 2000's when everyone would stress after Kirk won a bowl because an NFL team was going to steal him away.........

Thats the thing, 5-6 years ago Iowa would have to worry about that. Now no team is going to take him. I just don't get what barta was thinking. It wasn't like KF was going to leave for the NFL or another coaching gig. If anything extend it maybe 2-3 years, but not 10!

If I were barta I would tell KF he has to make some more coaching changes after this year. The GD experiment is not working. The guy can't get our offense in the top 50 in the nation. We got rid of KOK who had Iowa in the top 30 on 3 different occasions.

For those thinking Davis isn't the problem, look at how we start the game and how Wisky started the game. We run up the gut the first 2 plays. Wisky throws a pass on the first play of the game. Loosen things up a bit so you aren't so predictable. I thought we should give Davis a chance, but that time is gone.

For those thinking Davis isn't the problem, look at how we start the game and how Wisky started the game. We run up the gut the first 2 plays. Wisky throws a pass on the first play of the game. Loosen things up a bit so you aren't so predictable. I thought we should give Davis a chance, but that time is gone.

I just love it when we run the ball with success and get a couple of first downs and then he brings out the 5 wide set and throws 3 consecutive times. Or he comes out gun slinging on 1st down after the other teams has scored. He has no flow or rhythm to the game. He tries to be unpredictable, but the sad thing is he tries to get too cute with the play calling at times.

I just think we are in year 5 and there has been zero improvement. I mean what is it going to take for kirk to get rid of him? I realize our WR/TE's are not top of the line, but you have to change something. I heard one time that GD likes his receivers to run routes based on "what they see". So instead of running a slant or out or post. The WR's are supposed to read the defense and run the correct route?? Holy crap that is confusing for both the WR & QB. Just doesn't make any sense.

If GD is our O-coordinator next year, Iowa will be the same. Have to get some new blood in there.

Reactions: David1979
Wisconsin was the 60th game with GD calling plays. Under Davis we've only had 2 games that our quarterback has thrown for over 300 yds. Even with Iowa being a run first time it's amazing we've only done this 2x in today's college football landscape and neither was with CJ at qb who we all know has talent so not like we've had awful qbs under his watch.

For those curious 2 games were ball st in 2014 when we came back to win 17-13 and chucked the ball around all 4th qtr and also vs Wisconsin that same year where we were trying to comback. Funny thing was in that Wisconsin game our offense was so vanilla and stagnant that first half like yesterday and started to pick up and move the ball and got points on the board when we did hurry up like yesterday end of half and towards end of game.

some people say that GD might be better if he truly got to do what he wanted, but he is forced to do what KF wants.

Not sure if that is true, but have heard that.

That would be an even worse scenario vs GD just sucking on his own.

BTW, the only time GD will leave is when he decides to retire, right along with Kirk.

We are stuck with this sh&tshow for as long as they want to run it. If you are thinking KF is going to fire ANYBODY on his staff, you are completely delusional, certainly!

He definitely needs to be fired at the end of the season if not before. Last year because of Iowa's success he got some more time but really even last year the offense was subpar, especially the passing game which he is responsible for. People thought O'Keefe was bad but he looks like a genius compared to Davis.

On sound off even Podolak was subtly questioning what the hell is doing. Saying they aren't doing anything in the passing game with routes or mismatches to help things.

Here are Davis's offenses since he came to Iowa.

Rushing Offense 73rd
Passing Offense 106th
Total Offense 112th
yards per play 76th
Rushing Offense 49th
Passing Offense 89th
Total Offense 72nd
yards per play 55th
Rushing Offense 63rd
Passing Offense 56th
Total Offense 66th
yards per play 72nd
Rushing Offense 51st
Passing Offense 95th
Total Offense 85th
yards per play 96th
Rushing Offense 104th
Passing Offense 102nd
Total Offense 117th
yards per play 115th

The best offense he has ever had is at best average. B. Ferentz took over the run game basically last year and has improved it but Davis's passing scheme still remains and remains a huge drag on the offense. The scheme remains the biggest problem. Not the receivers. They aren't great but they are good enough that if you have a good scheme you should be able to move the ball through the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTAutomotive
What ever the reason, the offense has been very problematic for years.
I think it involves both talent and coaching.

BUT WHO HIRED HIM? DOES THAT PERSON BEAR SOME RESPONSIBILTY? CAP MAKES FINAL CALLS.HE SITS IN ON OFFENSIVE GAME PLANS.OUCH! FLIES ON WALL CAN'T LISTEN EITHER.THAT WORD ON STREET!!#

1) So, tell me then. If you fire Davis today, are you prepared to pass in the song books on every game the rest of the season?

2) Who do have in mind then to replace him with? I want examples...

I can think of only two guys that to me would be acceptable, and I know this will cause a hue and cry from the pitchforks crowd, but I'd take Ken O'Keefe or Joe Philbin back in a heartbeat.

But don't give me any garbage candidates that operate what Texas Tech does or some reasonable facsimile thereof, because 1) it'd ruin the defensive philosophy and effectively mean you can Phil Parker too - and 2) I don't believe Ferentz would can Parker anyway.

Iowa's problem is talent. It ain't truly all on Greg Davis. Davis' play-calling would be more imaginative if he had talent that dictated he could do so.

Now...if you want to rip on recruiting, be my guess. Cause it MUST get better on offense.

1) I wouldn't be opposed to giving Brian Ferentz a shot for the rest of the season.

2) Tony Franklin or Kirk Ciarrocca to start. Both are coordinators that would easily come to Iowa and have successful offenses with tons of experience.

What is done on offense has no impact on defensive philosophy. Iowa isn't setting the world on fire on defense anyway. We haven't since Norm Parker. That makes absolutely no sense.

If Iowa's problem is talent, then you need to find coaches that are doing more with lesser talent. You want to run an offense that's conducive to putting players in the NFL? Great! Iowa's offensive philosophy needs an update. NFL teams are moving in the direction of a pro style spread.

Reactions: BigHawksFan
The Texas fans warned us about him. They stated he couldn't do what he wanted to with the athletes that Texas had. How is he going do it at Iowa with a lack of talent. He hasn't had a top 60 offense since being at Iowa. TIME TO GO GREG> KF needs to make a big boy decision and fire him.

He definitely needs to be fired at the end of the season if not before. Last year because of Iowa's success he got some more time but really even last year the offense was subpar, especially the passing game which he is responsible for. People thought O'Keefe was bad but he looks like a genius compared to Davis.

On sound off even Podolak was subtly questioning what the hell is doing. Saying they aren't doing anything in the passing game with routes or mismatches to help things.

Here are Davis's offenses since he came to Iowa.

Rushing Offense 73rd
Passing Offense 106th
Total Offense 112th
yards per play 76th
Rushing Offense 49th
Passing Offense 89th
Total Offense 72nd
yards per play 55th
Rushing Offense 63rd
Passing Offense 56th
Total Offense 66th
yards per play 72nd
Rushing Offense 51st
Passing Offense 95th
Total Offense 85th
yards per play 96th
Rushing Offense 104th
Passing Offense 102nd
Total Offense 117th
yards per play 115th

The best offense he has ever had is at best average. B. Ferentz took over the run game basically last year and has improved it but Davis's passing scheme still remains and remains a huge drag on the offense. The scheme remains the biggest problem. Not the receivers. They aren't great but they are good enough that if you have a good scheme you should be able to move the ball through the air.

My god that is atrocious!
And here I thought I couldn't be more depressed than I already was about the current state of the program....
Thanks bro

Yawn........
Yes, I'd much rather read about you trying to compare our offensive style to Alabama's again.

popcorn_yes.gif

We need to fire whoever is responsible for recruiting WR's. This offense is stalling because they are garabage. The don't run good routes and get open. When they do, they drop it or don't make the play.

No offense works when it is completely one dimensional.

You're absolutely right. The only upperclassmen who are WRs who weren't originally walk-ons are Vandeberg and Parker. That's it. I don't know what the coaches were doing those years, but recruiting WRs was somehow not a priority. That's recruiting malpractice.

Psh. Iowa's program couldn't be better. Anyone who doesn't go to every game isn't a Hawkeyes fan. And I'm tired of hearing bad things about the coaches. I don't want a different coach. Don't you know they work their butt off? I remember when Iowa was bad, and this ain't bad. Settle for being average, because average isn't bad. Change is what's bad.

Psh. Iowa's program couldn't be better. Anyone who doesn't go to every game isn't a Hawkeyes fan. And I'm tired of hearing bad things about the coaches. I don't want a different coach. Don't you know they work their butt off? I remember when Iowa was bad, and this ain't bad. Settle for being average, because average isn't bad. Change is what's bad.

which one of KF's family members are you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT