ADVERTISEMENT

To me, Kirk looked ready to coach 5 more years during the presser

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
He just seems ready to go and be up for the challenge. He was talking like with Lester and other pieces they all have a chance to charge up the offense and make the hawks a much stronger team.

A couple people mentioned he was not looking his best today but really there is the physical look but also the inside fire to win.

He just seems ready to go and be up for the challenge. He was talking like with Lester and other pieces they all have a chance to charge up the offense and make the hawks a much stronger team.

A couple people mentioned he was not looking his best today but really there is the physical look but also the inside fire to win.
Not buying on any of that.

The promotion of Seth Wallace seems like he's setting up a successor for a couple years down the road. Surely, he wanted to do that with Brian, but that clearly went south. In my opinion, he put one foot out the door when Beth did what Barta should have been done a year or two earlier, if not stopping the hire of Brian from the beginning. Lester has an opportunity to restore some of the shimmer to Ferentz legacy. Ironically, it will be more easily attained if Kirk keeps himself outside of the process. Help me, help you, Kirk - type of situation.

The promotion of Seth Wallace seems like he's setting up a successor for a couple years down the road. Surely, he wanted to do that with Brian, but that clearly went south. In my opinion, he put one foot out the door when Beth did what Barta should have been done a year or two earlier, if not stopping the hire of Brian from the beginning. Lester has an opportunity to restore some of the shimmer to Ferentz legacy. Ironically, it will be more easily attained if Kirk keeps himself outside of the process. Help me, help you, Kirk - type of situation.
That's probably his thinking but by firing Brian, BG has already made it clear that the next Iowa HC is not going to be Kirk's decision to make.

No. But hearing about how tired and old KF is from a bunch of diabetic or pre diabetic Casey's eating fatasses gets very very old
steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

Reactions: pink shizzle
He is in better shape than most of the fat ass posters on this board. Anyone wanna bet against that?
I am not saying he will coach 5 more years but he sounded like a guy who wants to plan to get the Hawks humming on all cylinders before he hands off the baton.

Kirk had the two hip surgeries so he has to be feeling better there. The negative aspect of Brian is over, I am sure it still stings Kirk but Brian was failing.

Kirk is moving on, he wants to win a few more games.

I'm not at all convinced that Wallace is being set up to be the successor.

There's nothing to indicate that was the plan for Brian either.

What does it mean to have one foot out the door? And why would it matter if Brian got fired? Brian is not the reason that KF coaches football. I can tell you KF isn't going to hang around with one foot out the door. He either would have hung it up or he's going to continue to be all-in on the present task. Did you notice how he handled the bowl prep?

I don't know. He didn't look as healthy to me. And why, after all these decades, have an assistant head coach?

There could be a serious medical issue that we are all unaware of. We sure weren't aware of two hip replacements taking place.

Last edited:
Reactions: uihawk82
I cannot imagine the man was trilled to introduce his failed son's replacement

"thank you for coming today, we are excited to finally have a semi-experienced OC on staff again"
i've heard of getting 2 birds with 1 stone but you managed the super rare accomplishment of 3 in 1. but you could've spared lester until after first game.

I am not saying he will coach 5 more years but he sounded like a guy who wants to plan to get the Hawks humming on all cylinders before he hands off the baton.

Kirk had the two hip surgeries so he has to be feeling better there. The negative aspect of Brian is over, I am sure it still stings Kirk but Brian was failing.

The players love him. He still enjoys teaching.

Kirk’s hip surgeries won’t affect his success on the field. I think he’s a guy nearing retirement who wants to hit Iowa up for tens of millions in exchange for a few more minor bowls in warm weather locations.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
I cannot imagine the man was trilled to introduce his failed son's replacement

"thank you for coming today, we are excited to finally have a semi-experienced OC on staff again"
To me he sounded flustered throughout the presser.

To me, it’s going to be hard to really trust Kirk after this Brian fiasco. Crazy Iowa was about to run that back in 2024 before Beth and Co. stepped in.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I'm not at all convinced that Wallace is being set up to be the successor.

There's nothing to indicate that was the plan for Brian either.

What does it mean to have one foot out the door? And why would it matter if Brian got fired? Brian is not the reason that KF coaches football. I can tell you KF isn't going to hang around with one foot out the door. He either would have hung it up or he's going to continue to be all-in on the present task. Did you notice how he handled the bowl prep?
I think it certainly puts SW in a position to take over. SW keeps the staff intact which is a huge thing. SW has been at Iowa a long time and continues that sense of stability. I think you if you go outside of the program you lose most all of your staff and being that we are Iowa, that is not easy to replace. Getting a HC outside of the program is a terrible decision IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
I think it certainly puts SW in a position to take over. SW keeps the staff intact which is a huge thing. SW has been at Iowa a long time and continues that sense of stability. I think you if you go outside of the program you lose most all of your staff and being that we are Iowa, that is not easy to replace. Getting a HC outside of the program is a terrible decision IMO.
I would prefer in-house as well. Or at least someone cut from the Hawkeye cloth.

I'm just not convinced that the new title for Seth is in place for the purpose of paving that particular road.

Levar is probably my first choice

2024 is the year everything is thrown at the wall. Steep cliff in 2025- he’s dusting off his parachute.

As other posters in other threads have pointed out, the Seth Wallace promotion has nothing to do with being a successor in waiting. It’s a fairly common promotion around the country, a way of recognizing an assistant when there isn’t upward mobility to do so. SW is a defensive guy, and he wasn’t going to be named defensive coordinator as long as PP is still coaching, so this is way to do so.

Shut your whore mouth! 😁

His actions say otherwise. Look man, I want the Hawks to kick ass and achieve greatness. Kirk isn’t getting them there. Not at this point. He clearly prioritized his son’s coaching career over the success of the team. His legacy is forever tarnished, and it’s best he just go away at this point.

I don’t see Kirk having much say at all in terms of his successor. If he stays five more years the program will not be in a good place when football becomes “make playoffs or you suck mode”.

The AD isn’t going to get a mulligan on the next coach just by letting Kirk pick it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT