ADVERTISEMENT

Fishing Charter Captain Goes Ballistic On Client (& His Kids)

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Fishing Charter Captain Goes Ballistic On Client (& His Kids) Who Bumped The Throttle & Sent Him Flying Off The Boat: “I Do This Every F**king Day

The deep sea fishing industry brings in hundreds of thousands of fishermen and fisherwomen every year to go out on the ocean for the chance to reel in big, rare fish.

This particular fishing charter based out of Marathon, Florida has prided itself for years on the quality and experience of their fishing charters, but much of that reputation has fallen overboard after this recent, viral incident.

One of the captains for the Two Conchs charters was out with a father and his two kids, and when an accident led to a brush with death, “Captain Chris” let his emotions get the best of him and went ballistic on the family. “F-Bombs” were flying all over the ocean that day, even with the two younger kids on the boat.

A now deleted Facebook post told the story of what went down that caused the charter captain to lose his mind:

“Captain Chris was in the back of the boat and he was dealing with some mahi that they had just caught. The client mistakenly slid into the throttle and forced Chris off the back of the boat and he landed on the dive platform which saved him from going into the motor.

Of course, he got heated in the situation and said some things that we do not condone at any time. Once he calmed down, the customers and him spoke, and they decided to still continue the charter and ended up catching mahi-mahi.”

Hey, well that’s good. If you are out in the middle of the ocean with a guy who is seething with rage, you might as well reason with him and try to go ahead and knock out the fishing trip still.

The Facebook post also said that the captain was tipped $200 dollars for the incident, despite the meltdown.

Two Conchs

However, the weird part is that the man by the name of Phil Barker who had booked the fishing trip with his two young kids secretly recorded Captain Chris’ meltdown, and still decided to post it on social media even though they had talked and continued to do the charter.

Barker post the video to his Facebook page, saying:

“Disaster fishing trip. My family had a fishing trip with Two Conchs Charters. I slipped on the wet floor and touched the throttle, a complete accident.

This was the captains reaction with my 9 year old and 12 year old on board!

Pretty unbelievable.”

The shocking video has been circulating pretty much everywhere.

Check out the NSFW footage below:

I think two conchs also has a fishing show. I'd be pissed if I was that guide. Might have been handled better, I don't know.

Reactions: NoleinATL
The guy should have handled it better, maybe with fewer F Bombs but that was a lot of adrenaline created when he was falling over the back and thinking he was about to go in the motor or get left in the middle of the gulf and it erupted.
Kind of a punk move by the customer to tip and then post the video. If it was a nightmare trip don't freaking tip

What Floridian and especially any dudes who call themselves Conchs wouldn’t go off on these idiots?
If you grew up here in Florida and knew any kids who grew up in the keys you know they don’t take s**t.

Reactions: Flie and runkpanole
What Floridian and especially any dudes who call themselves Conchs wouldn’t go off on these idiots?
If you grew up here in Florida and knew any kids who grew up in the keys you know they don’t take s**t.
My father in law would have lost it if we hit the throttle. Even on accident. Not saying I fully condone the Captain, but I understand.

Fishing Charter Captain Goes Ballistic On Client (& His Kids) Who Bumped The Throttle & Sent Him Flying Off The Boat: “I Do This Every F**king Day

The deep sea fishing industry brings in hundreds of thousands of fishermen and fisherwomen every year to go out on the ocean for the chance to reel in big, rare fish.

This particular fishing charter based out of Marathon, Florida has prided itself for years on the quality and experience of their fishing charters, but much of that reputation has fallen overboard after this recent, viral incident.

One of the captains for the Two Conchs charters was out with a father and his two kids, and when an accident led to a brush with death, “Captain Chris” let his emotions get the best of him and went ballistic on the family. “F-Bombs” were flying all over the ocean that day, even with the two younger kids on the boat.

A now deleted Facebook post told the story of what went down that caused the charter captain to lose his mind:

“Captain Chris was in the back of the boat and he was dealing with some mahi that they had just caught. The client mistakenly slid into the throttle and forced Chris off the back of the boat and he landed on the dive platform which saved him from going into the motor.

Of course, he got heated in the situation and said some things that we do not condone at any time. Once he calmed down, the customers and him spoke, and they decided to still continue the charter and ended up catching mahi-mahi.”

Hey, well that’s good. If you are out in the middle of the ocean with a guy who is seething with rage, you might as well reason with him and try to go ahead and knock out the fishing trip still.

The Facebook post also said that the captain was tipped $200 dollars for the incident, despite the meltdown.

Two Conchs

However, the weird part is that the man by the name of Phil Barker who had booked the fishing trip with his two young kids secretly recorded Captain Chris’ meltdown, and still decided to post it on social media even though they had talked and continued to do the charter.

“Disaster fishing trip. My family had a fishing trip with Two Conchs Charters. I slipped on the wet floor and touched the throttle, a complete accident.

Pretty unbelievable.”

Now that I know the full story, I feel bad for the Captain. I’ve been on dozens of fishing charters and I’ve NEVER stood anywhere near the helm let alone “accidentally” engaged the engine. It doesn’t matter if I’m in a dinky little 12 ft skiff doing a trout flyfishing boat, a 20 ft decked out bass boat on Lake Okeechobee, a 36 ft giant engined offshore boat in the Caribbean or a giant deep sea party boat off of Panama City Beach, Key West or Islamorada, I’m never anywhere near the helm, engines or any type of equipment that might lead me to be a safety hazard.

My father in law would have lost it if we hit the throttle. Even on accident. Not saying I fully condone the Captain, but I understand.
Yep. Some people simply do not understand the gravity of the situation they are in. It's those people that end up costing someone else their life through carelessness. If the captain going off on them results in a wake-up call, more power to him.

It sounds like there were some issues before the video about the guy not listening to the Captain. Guys like that that think they know more than the Captain are the worst. Add on top that his actions almost killed him. I understand his reaction.

Yeah me too. I still feel bad for the kids. That had to be a shitty feeling for them while it was going on.
I've been on the other side of that where the person having the frack'n melt down was my own father. I could never sink far enough in the seat.

Reactions: DooBi
Hope the dude still works there and the company man that threw him under the bus just said he was fired to appease to the public. Strange that his message was rather detailed and clearly indicated it was all the passengers fault just to end with saying he was fired.

This is where the tough shit clause comes into play. Accident or not you caused a big, potentially fatal problem, and it's tough shit the guy raged out, but he gets to do that in this case.

It is insane to me that someone would record and post that. It wasn’t the captains best moment, but the customer is clearly at fault for the incident.

You don’t horse around on boats. I don’t know why the customer was anywhere near the helm.

I’m part of that fishing group on Facebook and it was nonstop for days

Edit: something to consider. If the engines are running, even if idle, there should always be a tether Killswitch. If you leave the helm, turn the engines off.
Generally they will lock the throttle and leave engines running. Captain is totally at fault here even though the customer seems like an arrogant douchebag. It's the captains duty to maintain the safety of the boat at all times.

Captain should have ended the charter and refunded their money as soon as the incident happened.

As a charter captain, I'll chime in here. There are few things worse than guys that don't listen on a boat, especially after they've had a few beers. If it's true that the captain had told him several times to stay out of the helm area and the client learned on the sticks after being told not to be in the area...I don't fault the captain at all for being upset. How he handled it is the bad and unproffesional part...I would have just taken them in and cited the safety policies I have posted on my boat (the ones you're supposed to read). I troll a lot for tuna, salmon, and halibut...you have to keep the boat moving even when dealing with fish, so shutting off the motors so this can't happen isn't really an option. I've never had anything like this happen, and I'm not sure how I'd react if I was sent over the transom towards the blender... but I know you can't lose your shit like that and keep your job (if you don't own the boat). Truth be told though, if your go over the transom and the boat is moving forward, espeially at full throttle, there isn't much chance you'll contact the prop. Falling off the bow is way more dangerous.

I’m part of that fishing group on Facebook and it was nonstop for days

Edit: something to consider. If the engines are running, even if idle, there should always be a tether Killswitch. If you leave the helm, turn the engines off.
Yeah, I saw this last week and most people around here know of those guys and their known to be assholes, but I think he had a legitimate gripe this time (and yes he shoulda had a kill switch tied to him).

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Kill the engine maybe if you’re not at the helm? Wouldn’t expect something like that from an adult passenger but if kids are on board my boat even on the lake I just always assume the worst can happen if I leave the helm. I’ve never chartered on a center console before so I don’t know if that can be a standard procedure.

Two Conchs

Pretty unbelievable.”

Funniest-michael-scott-memes-08-10-30-2022.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT