ADVERTISEMENT

Help with Fishing With My Son

Cougar63

HR Heisman
Oct 4, 2004
Omaha, NE
Many of you might recall the fact that my father passed in the military when I was a toddler, so I never got the opportunity to fish with my dad.

I’ve actually only been fishing a handful of times in my life, but I’d like to take my son out to a shoreline or on a lake and do some fishing with him. I have absolutely no idea what we’d need. Can yall help me?

I don’t know if he’d have fun doing it but it’s one of those things I’d like to do for myself, maybe cathartic.

Where do you live? What do you want to fish for?
For kids I recommend finding a place with bluegill for fast and easy catching.

Lol… last sentence is pretty much end of thread as kids attention span when fishing is about 10 minutes. If they haven’t caught anything within 10 minutes, good luck catching anything at all as the kids are likely splashing around and swimming at your fishing hole.

But….. we desperately need good threads that aren’t politics so **** that end of thread nonsense…

Along with Belem’s questions, how old is the kiddo?? And your location is really important. here in Colorado, there is private stocked ponds you can go and pay by the hour and they provide all the gear and instructions. You will catch 5-15 fish an hour. A great way to figure out how much time and commitment you want to put in before you dump some money into gear.

I live in Omaha now. I don’t know how to answer your question about what I want to fish for, per se. My son is 13 in a month btw.

Can you eat bluegill?

‘You posted this as I was responding. My middle one is 13. Teenagers take such a beating out there, but I love this age. Such a transitioning stage. Good on you for spending some time with him.

With all that said, I stand by my original post. Find somewhere they can catch some fish relatively quick and they will be hooked (pun fully intended). My kids (12,13 and 16) will spend hours fishing with me now. You have to teach them how fun it is to catch fish.

I live in Omaha now. I don’t know how to answer your question about what I want to fish for, per se. My son is 13 in a month btw.

Can you eat bluegill?
Bluegill is delicious. Get some 1/4 weights, some swivels, some pre-tied hooks and then just get corn or worms. Take a gallon of water for hand rinsing if you’re squeamish. Take some needle nose pliers and a bucket if you’re keeping the fish. Watch some videos on fishing knots if you’re not well versed in them. Just have fun.

Can you eat bluegill?

Just find a lake, grab a rod and reel (throw a bobber on if you want), grab some nightcrawlers (worms), and just go cast. You'll probably need a license of some sort.

That's all you really need. Maybe even find a place you can rent gear for the first time? I wouldn't worry too much about getting deep in gear until you see if you (or both of you) like it.

tenor.gif

My wife and I have been fishing the past year or so four times, and we have hired a guide each time. We went any where from Florida to Dubuque and the Mississippi. They have the knowledge and bring all the equipment. Can be a little pricey, but we enjoyed all four occasions.

Most importantly, enjoy your time with your son why you can! Time does truly fly by. The older you and your son get, the more you will appreciate these times together.

Last edited:
No idea if they have anything similar in your area, but my local county parks department has some fishing programs periodically. In the summer, they'll do a day camp for children at a few of the local parks that have either lakes or rivers - kids go every day for a week, hang at the park, and fish.
They also do programs a few times a year that just run for a few hours, where they present programs on tackle, bait, and fishing styles that are effective in that particular type of body of water (i.e. river fishing is typically a bit different than shore fishing a lake, which differs from boat fishing on the same lake...)

I’d suggest you first go a few times by yourself and practice up a bit. You can get used to technique, tying and baiting hooks, casting, hooking and unhooking fish, handling fish, etc. Also exploring and finding a decent spot with fish.

Then you’ll be in a great position to help your son and make his experience a great one.

Fishing pole, weight (bobber if desired), hook, and bait (I’d suggest worms). All you need. I wouldn’t worry about catching a specific fish at this point.

OP probably couldn’t even ID a bluegill. Just throw some bait out there and see what get.

Reactions: Cougar63
Lots of good suggestions already. I will only add that when I'm trying to keep kids interested or introduce them to fishing on a charter or guided trip...action is the key. They need to be having fun and catching fish right away. Now it's different in saltwater, but if I was back in Iowa trying to get a kid into fishing, I would take him to one of those stocked catfish farms. Are those still around? Or as others have suggested, hire a guide, or go with an experienced person that can put you on fish right away. Don't give them a chance to say, 'fishing is boring'. A guide or experienced fisherman will also be able to answer all the questions...kids always ask a ton of questions. Good luck, and good on ya for getting out there with your boy.

As an Omaha resident there are a few decent places to start fishing. I would recommend buying a NE Parks Pass and that will get you access to all state parks which allow fishing. If the fish arnt biting y’all can take a walk/hike. Two Rivers has been my fav park for fishing. If you want more local spots I would recommend: Standing Bear, Toll Park, Father Flanagan.

As for set up, try not to over think it. Go to Scheels and tell them you’re a beginner. You can get a spinner rod/reel for 75-100 dollars and that will work perfect.

As for bait/tackle get some mono 8lbs test, small to medium hooks, plastic worms, and some bobbers. Do some research on the type of plastics but stick bait will be good for what you’re trying to accomplish.

Finally after you buy everything, learn how to string l/set yo your rod. Watch YouTube on how to tie an arbor knot and re-line the spool. You can impress your son that way.

Lots of good recommendations here,
I'd plan for the basics and add on as both of you grow to enjoy it more.
Get a basic pole as other have suggested and find a location with bluegill to start. That will be consistent action to keep his attention.
I would not worry about trying to eat the fish until you've gone a handful of times.

I really like power bait, it isn't messy and can last for several fish. Another cheap alternative is hot dogs. Kids won't have any concern about touching them since it is food.

Don't expect Jr to touch the fish or worms on the first try. Some kids don't give a rip, but others can be grossed out.

My son got hooked when we started landing catfish. His first ever was a 20lber and he was shaking when we had it on shore. I actually had a 12lber I was reeling in at the same time. It is a fun memory!

Many of you might recall the fact that my father passed in the military when I was a toddler, so I never got the opportunity to fish with my dad.

I’ve actually only been fishing a handful of times in my life, but I’d like to take my son out to a shoreline or on a lake and do some fishing with him. I have absolutely no idea what we’d need. Can yall help me?

I don’t know if he’d have fun doing it but it’s one of those things I’d like to do for myself, maybe cathartic.
Lot's of good suggestions in this thread.

Do you know anyone that goes fishing on the regular that you could ask to take you out and show you the basic's? If you don't you could maybe go to your local bait shop or something like Scheel's or Dick's and have them outfit you.

A lot of good suggestions already, only question I’ll ask is if you are planning ahead for spring/summer or do you want to ice fish this winter? Obviously different gear and with a teenager would want a pop up tent or rent an ice shack. Not sure if outfitters in Omaha offer; but many places in the TCs area and up North, you can rent out a day shack and they will provide the gear and show you the basics. Many places will even clean anything you keep. May sound boring to a 13 year old; but it is quite a fun day.

Last edited:
I'd recommend going to a resort in Northern Minn this spring/summer and going out on a launch. They provide everything and put you right in the fish. You and your son will have an amazing time. Then you can spend a day dock/shore fishing and they will let you know where to go and what to use.

If you’re planning to do this in the short term I’m questioning your sanity. Ice fishing as your son’s introduction into fishing is not a great idea unless you’ve got a friend with all the things you need like an ice shelter, powered auger and a heat source on a productive body of water.

You can pick up a combo packaged rod and reel setups at Walmart very affordably usually under $20, get some extra bait hooks, weights, bobbers, some live bait and don’t forget a stringer if you plan to keep what you catch. If you’re casting out always mind the business end of your pole so you don’t end up with someone getting hooked by mistake. An unplanned visit to the doctor to get a hook extracted will ruin your experience.

Where do you live? What do you want to fish for?
For kids I recommend finding a place with bluegill for fast and easy catching.

I can't echo Belem enough. My best fishing days with my kids when they were little, I never even got my own hook in the water, between getting fish off the hook, putting more worms on hooks, untangling lines, etc. And it was the best...we'd find some spot where they could just pull out a bluegill every few minutes.

If you want to stalk a trophy bass, go yourself. With your kids, all you want is bluegill on hooks.

A few suggestions...

No need to go buy a $60 ugly stik or something...anything a little kid can catch the first time they're fishing, they can catch on a $19 rod from Walmart. Would suggest getting the one with the spincast enclosed reel and the push button. The first times you're taking them, you're not there to teach them to fish properly, you're they're to hope they like fishing. If they really like it, then you can start upgrading equipment, teach them to use a spinning reel, etc.

Look for a pond, not a lake. You might get lucky on a lake shore, but often its a total strikeout. You almost always want a pond. Do a search for "Kids Fishing Derby" near you, and see where the last one was, then go there. They almost always stock those ahead of the fishing derbys, so even if you're going months later, at least you know there should be some fish in there. Also, I don't have access to farm or private ponds, so I've found the best luck with ponds behind office buildings and corporate parks. If you find a good one, it so far exceeds ponds in local parks or whatever. I would strongly suggest if it will be your kids first time, make a trip or two yourself, both the get refreshed with everything, and test the pond. For me, it's worth it to know you've got an active spot before your kid's first trip, it's not an exaggeration to say their first time out might literally determine whether they ever want to fish again.

Also, a little kid doesn't care about catching a big fish. They care about catching lots of fish. A kid will have a much better day catching 8 or 10 3oz bluegill than they will catching one 10lb bass or a giant catfish. Don't worry at all about finding a place with big fish.

I still find nothing does better than a nightcrawler, and its worth dealing with the grossness of it. It catches pretty much any fish in the pond, and it stays on the hook a long time. Any kind of bread bait or chicken livers, you will be replacing it every couple casts. Kids don't really sit with their cast in one spot for 30 minutes.

Maybe controversial, but if your kid has a decent amount of focus and can be trusted to hold the rod, I would suggest you skip the bobber and teach them to feel the bite and set the hook from that. The bobber sounds great in theory for kids, but expecting a kid to stare at a bobber without looking around is a big ask. But if they will hold the pole, they can look all over the place, and they'll still know when they have a bite. I also think they'll be better sooner at setting the hook. I skipped the bobber with my girls, and they got good at setting the hook and catching the fish at a pretty young age.

And after all that, don't feel bad if it's just not for them. My two oldest were girls, and they loved to go fishing any chance they got. Just a pond, worms, mostly bluegill with an occasional catfish. They still fish occasionally as adults. Fishing with my little girls is literally some of the best memories of my life. My son was the youngest, he was brought into it exactly like them, went fishing with them and myself, caught plenty of fish...and just couldn't care less. At best he'd be done in 20 minutes, no matter what he caught. And he's an outdoors, camping, boy scout type kid...just didn't enjoy fishing.

Honestly, it was a big kick in the nuts, because I just assumed I'd have "fishing with my kids" for another 5+ years or so than I did. When the girls kind of aged out of it in high school, my son had no interest, and it was over just like that.

Awesome thread. My 12-year-old has become addicted to fishing. He has the same gene as me in that we can sit at the lake for 4 hours without a bite purely on the adrenaline of "but MAYBE if I try just one more cast...."

Don't overthink it at first. Bobber, weights, hook, and worm. And I absolutely cannot stress this enough:

BRING PAPER TOWELS.

The guy wants to take his kid fishing and you guys are suggesting a several hundred dollar trip to a guide.

It isn't rocket science my man. Buy a zebco 33 from Walmart. Buy small hooks and weights and bobbers and worms.

YouTube how to tie a fishing knot. YouTube how to hold a fish, ( bass by the lip, bluegill/crappie you slide youe hand over so they don't stick you with their barbs)

Things that make it easier, a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the hook from the mouth. A plastic fishing weight to practice casting before you go.

Don't worry about eating them yet, go catch and release a few, if you like it we can work on how to filet them later.

If you catch a fish and it swallow the hook, cut the line the hook with rust away.

Fishing is fun, but I'd fish with chum or worms instead.

The guy wants to take his kid fishing and you guys are suggesting a several hundred dollar trip to a guide.

It isn't rocket science my man. Buy a zebco 33 from Walmart. Buy small hooks and weights and bobbers and worms.

YouTube how to tie a fishing knot. YouTube how to hold a fish, ( bass by the lip, bluegill/crappie you slide youe hand over so they don't stick you with their barbs)

Things that make it easier, a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the hook from the mouth. A plastic fishing weight to practice casting before you go.

Don't worry about eating them yet, go catch and release a few, if you like it we can work on how to filet them later.

If you catch a fish and it swallow the hook, cut the line the hook with rust away.
I can't echo Belem enough. My best fishing days with my kids when they were little, I never even got my own hook in the water, between getting fish off the hook, putting more worms on hooks, untangling lines, etc. And it was the best...we'd find some spot where they could just pull out a bluegill every few minutes.

If you want to stalk a trophy bass, go yourself. With your kids, all you want is bluegill on hooks.

A few suggestions...

No need to go buy a $60 ugly stik or something...anything a little kid can catch the first time they're fishing, they can catch on a $19 rod from Walmart. Would suggest getting the one with the spincast enclosed reel and the push button. The first times you're taking them, you're not there to teach them to fish properly, you're they're to hope they like fishing. If they really like it, then you can start upgrading equipment, teach them to use a spinning reel, etc.

Look for a pond, not a lake. You might get lucky on a lake shore, but often its a total strikeout. You almost always want a pond. Do a search for "Kids Fishing Derby" near you, and see where the last one was, then go there. They almost always stock those ahead of the fishing derbys, so even if you're going months later, at least you know there should be some fish in there. Also, I don't have access to farm or private ponds, so I've found the best luck with ponds behind office buildings and corporate parks. If you find a good one, it so far exceeds ponds in local parks or whatever. I would strongly suggest if it will be your kids first time, make a trip or two yourself, both the get refreshed with everything, and test the pond. For me, it's worth it to know you've got an active spot before your kid's first trip, it's not an exaggeration to say their first time out might literally determine whether they ever want to fish again.

Also, a little kid doesn't care about catching a big fish. They care about catching lots of fish. A kid will have a much better day catching 8 or 10 3oz bluegill than they will catching one 10lb bass or a giant catfish. Don't worry at all about finding a place with big fish.

I still find nothing does better than a nightcrawler, and its worth dealing with the grossness of it. It catches pretty much any fish in the pond, and it stays on the hook a long time. Any kind of bread bait or chicken livers, you will be replacing it every couple casts. Kids don't really sit with their cast in one spot for 30 minutes.

Maybe controversial, but if your kid has a decent amount of focus and can be trusted to hold the rod, I would suggest you skip the bobber and teach them to feel the bite and set the hook from that. The bobber sounds great in theory for kids, but expecting a kid to stare at a bobber without looking around is a big ask. But if they will hold the pole, they can look all over the place, and they'll still know when they have a bite. I also think they'll be better sooner at setting the hook. I skipped the bobber with my girls, and they got good at setting the hook and catching the fish at a pretty young age.

And after all that, don't feel bad if it's just not for them. My two oldest were girls, and they loved to go fishing any chance they got. Just a pond, worms, mostly bluegill with an occasional catfish. They still fish occasionally as adults. Fishing with my little girls is literally some of the best memories of my life. My son was the youngest, he was brought into it exactly like them, went fishing with them and myself, caught plenty of fish...and just couldn't care less. At best he'd be done in 20 minutes, no matter what he caught. And he's an outdoors, camping, boy scout type kid...just didn't enjoy fishing.

Honestly, it was a big kick in the nuts, because I just assumed I'd have "fishing with my kids" for another 5+ years or so than I did. When the girls kind of aged out of it in high school, my son had no interest, and it was over just like that.
^ These. Except for fishing off the bottom. Absolutely use a bobber the first time.

If you can find any possible way to get access to a farm pond, start there.

Reactions: BelemNole
Buy the kid a baitcaster on an Ugly Stick and go to a farm pond for walleye. He’ll be hooked.
Terrible idea, unless he wants to spend all day unraveling the bird's nest from the backlashes in the baitcaster reel. Also, farm pond for walleye as far south as Omaha?

Try a solid spincast combo, Ugly Stick is a good recommendation for a fishing rod, BTW, and fishing for bluegill or catfish. WIth a spincast reel you won't need to mess with nasty backlashes. Or just get a Zebco 33 combo.

Here is a guide to fishing the Omaha metro.

LINK

I wouldn't bother with keeping and cleaning right now. Catch & release is the way to go.

Last edited:
As for set up, try not to over think it. Go to Scheels and tell them you’re a beginner. You can get a spinner rod/reel for 75-100 dollars and that will work perfect.
This is the best advice in the thread so far. Don't over think it, ask people who do it for a living and they'll set you up right.

I would second the suggestion of going with a buddy that fishes first as a possibility, they may even have the extra gear so you can hold off on the investment until you see if your Son likes it. I know at our pond I've got at least 20 rod/reel combos laying around and more tackle than I'd like to admit.
Also, I would assume you're talking Spring/Summer in open water? I wouldn't suggest ice fishing for an introduction, and the investment required to be successful is a lot more than any starter kit for open water.
As everyone has said, steady action starting out is key. Crappie, bluegill, bass, etc. are generally the best to provide that depending on where you're fishing.

I had our boys out probably before they were 5, they are both still hooked roughly 25 years later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT