ADVERTISEMENT

Five things that stood out at kids day

1. No surprise to anyone that takes a moment to think about this, but we're gonna find out one way or another for better or worse if it was the right move to hitch our wagon to a guy coming off a fairly significant knee surgery.

2. OL will be better, but will still have issues

3. WR is still a massive question mark, and the pumping of the breaks by this coaching staff regarding Kaleb Brown is a prime example of why. It sounds like Seth Anderson is having a good camp, and that's nice and all, but given our recent history of WR play coupled with our trash OC............oh yes it still leaves a lot to be desired and is very much in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.

4. Cooper DeJean is top 2-3 most valuable players for this team to succeed in 2023........but you have to feel a little more comfortable about our situation in the defensive secondary if he were to get hurt again, compared to McNamara. (i.e. ...................our secondary is guuuuud)

5. I got nothing here, other than Tory Taylor should win the Ray Guy Award, because f*** Wisconsin, that's why. :)

HM- People keep bringing up Nick Jackson being behind Jay Higgins on the depth chart. Understand that they can both be flexible with how they get guys on the field, and that Jackson is still in the "newb" status with the Iowa program under Ferentz (i.e. earn your stripes sort of thing, whether that's to the undying chagrin and consternation of the fanbase at times or not.......). I believe, though I could be wrong, that Jackson only officially joined the team at the start of Fall camp, so it would be obvious that he has to go through the motions learning Iowa's system to start.

............basically, don't worry about it, because Phil Parker.

1. No surprise to anyone that takes a moment to think about this, but we're gonna find out one way or another for better or worse if it was the right move to hitch our wagon to a guy coming off a fairly significant knee surgery.

3. WR is still a massive question mark, and the pumping of the breaks by this coaching staff regarding Kaleb Brown is a prime example of why. It sounds like Seth Anderson is having a good camp, and that's nice and all, but given our recent history of WR play coupled with our trash OC............oh yes it still leaves a lot to be desired and is very much in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.

4. Cooper DeJean is top 2-3 most valuable players for this team to succeed in 2023........but you have to feel a little more comfortable about our situation in the defensive secondary if he were to get hurt again, compared to McNamara. (i.e. ...................our secondary is guuuuud)

5. I got nothing here, other than Tory Taylor should win the Ray Guy Award, because f*** Wisconsin, that's why. :)

HM- People keep bringing up Nick Jackson being behind Jay Higgins on the depth chart. Understand that they can both be flexible with how they get guys on the field, and that Jackson is still in the "newb" status with the Iowa program under Ferentz (i.e. earn your stripes sort of thing, whether that's to the undying chagrin and consternation of the fanbase at times or not.......). I believe, though I could be wrong, that Jackson only officially joined the team at the start of Fall camp, so it would be obvious that he has to go through the motions learning Iowa's system to start.

I never, ever worry about a KF depth chart. Ever. It means very little.

What I am concerned about is what if we continue to have guys come in from other programs and not play. Either from not being able to take the job of someone who was here or because they weren't really that good. It doesn't matter the reason but that will play into people's decisions in the future if they see a roster that has been extremely poor at WR not be able to get a 4* WR into the mix, an all ACC linebacker into the starting lineup, two lineman who came in unable to find their footing in an offensive line that was unable to produce last year and looked sub par today, a corner who came from a FCS program who was looking to make the league not even get a meaningful rep before graduating, a transfer who came to Iowa and only utilized as a return man before having an unbelievable season at Purdue.

That's the stuff that worries me. We better be hitting in our transfers and NIL recipients.

I never, ever worry about a KF depth chart. Ever. It means very little.

What I am concerned about is what if we continue to have guys come in from other programs and not play. Either from not being able to take the job of someone who was here or because they weren't really that good. It doesn't matter the reason but that will play into people's decisions in the future if they see a roster that has been extremely poor at WR not be able to get a 4* WR into the mix, an all ACC linebacker into the starting lineup, two lineman who came in unable to find their footing in an offensive line that was unable to produce last year and looked sub par today, a corner who came from a FCS program who was looking to make the league not even get a meaningful rep before graduating, a transfer who came to Iowa and only utilized as a return man before having an unbelievable season at Purdue.

That's the stuff that worries me. We better be hitting in our transfers and NIL recipients.
So what you're saying is our coaching staff is failing at certain development and evaluation aspects of their jobs.........

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
So what you're saying is our coaching staff is failing at certain development and evaluation aspects of their jobs.........

Well, we knew that as evidenced by our horrendous offense last year.

I don't want to say that players on the team may not have improved or there couldn't be busts every now and then.

Although we are pretty solid at picking up diamonds in the rough in high school, maybe we are not so good at evaluating the portal. Or maybe Kirk and staff are super loyal to their guys they recruited out of high school. There are lots of possibilities.

The reality is this. Brown will get a ton of our NIL money regardless if he did anything. This could open the door for players wanting theirs for out performing them. Or, again, this could lead to other transfers not looking at Iowa if our transfers don't actually play.

All of this is hypothetical right now because we haven't seen a real down yet. Just a thought that has crossed my mind since Xavior Williams.

I’m super confused….Jackson STARTED today! He IS a starter. Seth Anderson had a very good day, Brown apparently was targeted a lot. Feth played starters minutes!

All started,

Parker was hurt…

Some of you guys I just don’t get….
I wasn't at the start of the scrimmage but it was not reported that he started. Feth came in because Colby went out. Anderson did start and made a great grab.

It's all hypothetical at the moment. Like I said. Nothing to get in a tizzy about yet.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Well, we knew that as evidenced by our horrendous offense last year.

I don't want to say that players on the team may not have improved or there couldn't be busts every now and then.

Although we are pretty solid at picking up diamonds in the rough in high school, maybe we are not so good at evaluating the portal. Or maybe Kirk and staff are super loyal to their guys they recruited out of high school. There are lots of possibilities.

The reality is this. Brown will get a ton of our NIL money regardless if he did anything. This could open the door for players wanting theirs for out performing them. Or, again, this could lead to other transfers not looking at Iowa if our transfers don't actually play.

All of this is hypothetical right now because we haven't seen a real down yet. Just a thought that has crossed my mind since Xavior Williams.

Is Xavier Williams in the NFL…? I’m not sure if you actually realize the amount of kids we have put in the NFL at Dback over the last five years. It was a significant chance he took coming on board.

I’d wager that’s another big reason why we didn’t get a transfer portal DB this year we have talent all up and down the line up back there and we prove it year after year after year!

Way to early to freakout about playing time and starters from a kids day, need to wait after the first game and Iowa scores 24 pts so the Brian F he gone watch list can start

I wasn't at the start of the scrimmage but it was not reported that he started. Feth came in because Colby went out. Anderson did start and made a great grab.

It's all hypothetical at the moment. Like I said. Nothing to get in a tizzy about yet.

Who is in a Tizzy… I didn’t pose the question nor am I even remotely worried about it. It seemed you were?

Did I misread?

I think we should have attached our wagon to your dumb ass. You talk alot and don't say much. KF tries to fix the QB situation and you bitch. Thank God you're now on ignore.

I’m super confused….Jackson STARTED today! He IS a starter. Seth Anderson had a very good day, Brown apparently was targeted a lot. Feth played starters minutes!

All started,

Parker was hurt…

Somewhat agree.

They didn't bring Feth in to be a backup.

IMO, if DeJong is starting or playing significant minutes, I think there's an issue. We know what his ceiling is.

OL was getting beat by the 2 deeps, CM has some mobility, but damn that OL needs a ton of work.

Defense is always solid, they are just coached better than the O.

If CM gets injured, we are in trouble.
Who were the starting tackles?

OL was getting beat by the 2 deeps, CM has some mobility, but damn that OL needs a ton of work.

Defense is always solid, they are just coached better than the O.

If CM gets injured, we are in trouble.
Heard Aaron Graves was in the backfield more than Cade McNamara. I’m not sold on Barnett being the oline coach since he’s been here but KF has hitched his wagon to him.

All started,

Parker was hurt…

Were you there yesterday?

Some of these comments are a little surprising. I think people need to remember a few things:

1. On any football team, the defense is usually ahead of the offense this time of year.

2. Iowa had arguably the best, or near the best, defense in college football last season. I don’t think they’re going to be a slouch this year, either, especially the DL.

3. I highly doubt Kirk would be publicly stating he’s been pleased with the OL development if it were complete bullshit.

4. In the infamous words of Allen Iverson, “We talkin’ ‘bout practice.”

It’ll be fine, guys.

Perhaps.

I'm being just a bit facetious, but I think the defense scores more points than the offense in a few games this season.

Easier said than done, but the Hawks need good, YOUNG Olinemen, not "just ok" juniors and seniors.
I'm talking all across the line.
LB's, which we're pretty unnoticeable yesterday, probably had 14 points.

Reactions: MitchLL
Were you there yesterday?

Some of these comments are a little surprising. I think people need to remember a few things:

1. On any football team, the defense is usually ahead of the offense this time of year.

2. Iowa had arguably the best, or near the best, defense in college football last season. I don’t think they’re going to be a slouch this year, either, especially the DL.

3. I highly doubt Kirk would be publicly stating he’s been pleased with the OL development if it were complete bullshit.

4. In the infamous words of Allen Iverson, “We talkin’ ‘bout practice.”

It’ll be fine, guys.

No I wasn’t there, but those are very good points!

Somewhat agree.

They didn't bring Feth in to be a backup.

IMO, if DeJong is starting or playing significant minutes, I think there's an issue. We know what his ceiling is.

I do agree on Feth, but I’m not sure anyone really knows what someone’s ceiling is, do they!

Yeah, this board is going to be bad again this year. Sooooooo much negativity, and too many arm chair coaches.
Need a game. I am very optimistic and excited about the season as I am sure many others are, also. We are only 9 practices and in. The problem is, we have had three consecutive abysmal seasons of offense and that is what causes the negativity right now.

Where was Beau Stephens? Did he play much?

Reactions: cmhawks99
Perhaps.

I'm being just a bit facetious, but I think the defense scores more points than the offense in a few games this season.

Easier said than done, but the Hawks need good, YOUNG Olinemen, not "just ok" juniors and seniors.
I'm talking all across the line.

Also agree with this, however, I’m still in wait and see mode on Jones, but I believe we have several solid guards and a good tackle in Richman…

RT is our issue!

I do agree on Feth, but I’m not sure anyone really knows what someone’s ceiling is, do they!
I did a poor job of explaining.

Good OLinemen are evidenced early in their careers.
Unless there's a coaching change, guys just don't automatically get better just because they're older. See Plumb, for example. I fear the same with DeJong.
The twin brothers Iowa had a few years ago is another example.
One could argue Alaric Jackson got worse as he got older.

I have read multiple reports and analysis’ and they all feel, the OL is better, so that’s a start. I think they all mostly feel the Guards are pretty good and Jones didn’t have snap issues…

I’ve also been shocked to find Richman on several 3rd team BIG 10 lists so the prognosticators out there think he is also good…

It’s the chemistry and consistency and honestly, AGAIN, this defensive line, plays against our O around 125 practices or so a year….

Honestly, if this OL dominated “this” DL I’d be terrified what happened to the DL in the off season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT