ADVERTISEMENT

Five things that stood out at kids day

Any team with legitimate college athletes can run the ball. Has to be the mindset NO MATTER WHAT. Put in another TE. Put in another tackle. Run the wildcat. QB sneak it every play. WHATEVER IT TAKES to create a forward push.

I agree, it's been tough. But the play calling didn't help the line out at all last year. At no point did the staff commit to the run. Not counting the closing minutes of a game, I could probably count on one hand the number of times Iowa actually handed it off for a traditional run play (not a stupid end-around to Bruce, or Petras scramble/sack) three times in a row. The run was abandoned far too early. Iowa spent most of the season in shotgun for God's sake.

If the line is no good, more reason to run imo. Pass blocking isn't easy for a poor line either and throwing will open yourself up to many more zero/negative plays and turnovers. Plus the guys need to be able to establish a rhythm hitting out and trying to get a collective push. Hit a wall once and nothing will happen. Keep pounding at it and cracks of light begin to emerge.

Keep the ball pushing forward incrementally. That has to be your mindset if your line sucks. No negative plays with a few short gains smattered in. Hopefully that creates enough time, and space for the occasional shot downfield, dump pass to the TE, or screen vs a blitz.

Even Navy moves the ball vs Notre Dame with the triple option. Whatever it takes.

Owning the line of scrimmage and clock with the run is also a wonderful way to destroy another team's will. They won't get up from this one.

RUN THE DAMN BALL PERIOD

Hmmmm, good thoughts!

They were unnoticeable. Probably due to who they play behind. This said, an argument could be made they were responsible for 14 points.

I don’t have much concern about Higgins or Jackson, and I believe Kyler Fisher is a more than adequate replacement linebacker… Two things I heard that gave me reason to smile was Zack Twedt and Jackson RexRoth looked pretty good in backup roles!

Reactions: Hawks_Rule
They were unnoticeable. Probably due to who they play behind. This said, an argument could be made they were responsible for 14 points.
Yeah ... there will be a drop-off in coverage. That will likely equate to points for the opposition.

On the flip side ... the guys are smart dudes with some experience. Thus, they should do a good job of making sure that our DL is set right. If the DL is set up in a position to be successful ... they're going to make the guys who play behind them look good ... reeeeaaallll good!

"Today was probably as good of a day as Seth has had," Ferentz said after the practice. "He likes to show up for the crowd, apparently. But, that was encouraging"

= won't know the offense for a couple of years.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
"Today was probably as good of a day as Seth has had," Ferentz said after the practice. "He likes to show up for the crowd, apparently. But, that was encouraging"

= won't know the offense for a couple of years.

Cool, now you don’t have to watch 😎

Yeah ... there will be a drop-off in coverage. That will likely equate to points for the opposition.

On the flip side ... the guys are smart dudes with some experience. Thus, they should do a good job of making sure that our DL is set right. If the DL is set up in a position to be successful ... they're going to make the guys who play behind them look good ... reeeeaaallll good!
They were probably responsible for scoring 14 points Saturday, not responsible for giving up 14 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT