ADVERTISEMENT

Fix

fufighters

HR MVP
Nov 13, 2009

His explanation.

After listening to it I feel alot more positive about AD on a neutral mat.

If the push-out does not become a college rule, I think a 5-second count should be instituted for having one point of support out of bounds while in neutral. After 5s, stalling. If the goal is to have the competition be in the center of the mat, allowing a wrestler to stand with one or both feet out of the circle for most of the period is a dereliction of duty by the ref IMO.

Curious, instead of playing the line game, would DeSanto or Wilcke been better-off pushing to the OB line then back-pedaling (safely) to center and forcing the action back there. How is back-pedaling to center viewed by the ref?

I’ve noticed lately that some of our wrestlers stop pushing when they get to the boundary. DeSanto and Stoll come to mind. It seems they try to change gears and snap their opponent to the mat. I think the tactic is commendable, but I wonder if they should continue applying pressure to get the potential stall because they have given up TDs on the edge.

Reactions: CCvNYC
I’ve noticed lately that some of our wrestlers stop pushing when they get to the boundary. DeSanto and Stoll come to mind. It seems they try to change gears and snap their opponent to the mat. I think the tactic is commendable, but I wonder if they should continue applying pressure to get the potential stall because they have given up TDs on the edge.

Problem is the refs are just as likely to call a stall on us for pushing the guy off. Because the rule is terrible.

Put em in a cage and eliminate out of bounds completely!

There is one clear winner to make this work. The push out for 1 would solve the problem.

The problem with the pushout, it how do you keep a guy from pushing you out every time you do a stand up.

Might be fine from neutral, but don't think it would work for mat wrestling.

But yes, it would really shrink the mat and eliminate a lot of edge wrestling.

Reactions: Grip220
The problem with the pushout, it how do you keep a guy from pushing you out every time you do a stand up.

The suggestion is for a push out rule from neutral.

The only mat that's gets shrunk is at OSU , dont know if theres room enough for a zone like freestyle.

The suggestion is for a push out rule from neutral.
I think there is still some concern with regard to mat wrestling. Mainly for the bottom guy standing up and getting the escape. More often than not the escape doesn't come directly in the center of the mat, and the top guy can push you towards the edge before allowing/giving up an escape and maybe getting an easy/cheap pushout right away. Don't think it would be a huge deal, but definitely more of a gray area in that respect than a freestyle match. I don't know how that sequence of events would be officiated, seems like it could leave room for subjectivity.

Overall though, I'm not against the pushout rule. I'm fine with adding it or staying as is.

I think there is still some concern with regard to mat wrestling. Mainly for the bottom guy standing up and getting the escape. More often than not the escape doesn't come directly in the center of the mat, and the top guy can push you towards the edge before allowing/giving up an escape and maybe getting an easy/cheap pushout right away. Don't think it would be a huge deal, but definitely more of a gray area in that respect than a freestyle match. I don't know how that sequence of events would be officiated, seems like it could leave room for subjectivity.

Overall though, I'm not against the pushout rule. I'm fine with adding it or staying as is.
The other issue with the push out rule is that it has the potential to devalue a take down, which I think should be 3 points anyway. 1 takedown = 2 pushouts might be good for Stoll, but also might decrease the number of take downs.

I like a push out type rule, but it needs to be thought up and possibly part of an updated point system ...... and should also address other stalling, like from top.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
Agreed. But TnT prefer machismo to strategy, so you know he’s going down.
Pretty likely TnT were just doing a "walk thru" for the next matchup?

Anyone who has been to Nattys over the years also knows that officials are famous for swallowing their whistles in close matches.

Don't expect better reffing than what we saw in Stillwater.

If any wrestler is expecting help from a referee at nationals, especially while wrestling against someone with a name like Daton Fix, they are in trouble. I will take that a step further and say any wrestler expecting a referee to do their job at nationals is expecting too much.

Gotta take it out of the referees hands. From what I've seen of ADS he is capable of doing that against Fix.

If any wrestler is expecting help from a referee at nationals, especially while wrestling against someone with a name like Daton Fix, they are in trouble. I will take that a step further and say any wrestler expecting a referee to do their job at nationals is expecting too much.

Gotta take it out of the referees hands. From what I've seen of ADS he is capable of doing that against Fix.
How do you see him scoring on Fix? Never was close to a takedown. Do you think he might get a reversal after getting rode for 1:45 sec? Or getting three stalling points ? I don’t see a clear path to victory for Desanto.

How do you see him scoring on Fix? Never was close to a takedown. Do you think he might get a reversal after getting rode for 1:45 sec? Or getting three stalling points ? I don’t see a clear path to victory for Desanto.
Desanto was showing him too much respect. He should attack more. Also Austin does not have to choose to go underneath Fix. It's not like Fix blew him out. How many takedowns did Fix have?

First off is getting the stalling in the first for backing oob. That forces Fix to stay in the middle more and allows ADS to work his ties. I would envision it a lot like Suriano match where he kept pushing in the third and either gives up stall point or takedown on the edge

It was the perfect time to choose down for Desanto. An end of the season match that has no effect on the Big Ten seeding. Why not see what Fix has on top. You can bet the coaches will figure out ways to help Desanto escape next time.

We already know what Fix is going to do on top. If TnT could coach Austin out of, they would have done it before the meet. Just like they would have taught Stoll how to get out.

He has to score takedowns to win. He can’t do that on his belly with Fix latched on top.

Reactions: hawkssox1
I like Desanto but the only way he beats Fix is to gas him out . Fix hasn’t gassed out yet. Fix had nearly two takedowns to none for Desanto.
First off is getting the stalling in the first for backing oob. That forces Fix to stay in the middle more and allows ADS to work his ties. I would envision it a lot like Suriano match where he kept pushing in the third and either gives up stall point or takedown on the edge
So your hoping or betting he is going to get a call from a referee or fix getting tired?

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
We already know what Fix is going to do on top. If TnT could coach Austin out of, they would have done it before the meet. Just like they would have taught Stoll how to get out.

He has to score takedowns to win. He can’t do that on his belly with Fix latched on top.

Stoll has a physical knee disability that inhibits him from getting out even if he knew how.

With your logic, a wrestler could never improve and win a positional situation that they lost before.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
Watching Fix wrestle others is definitely different than letting Austin get a feel for the pressure Fix brings. I think that was the first time they have ever wrestled? Just my opinion but that match is a coin toss. Fix hasn't shown any offense against the better guys and I think that will be his downfall. His defense is top notch but guys will figure him out.

I like Desanto but the only way he beats Fix is to gas him out . Fix hasn’t gassed out yet. Fix had nearly two takedowns to none for Desanto.
So your hoping or betting he is going to get a call from a referee or fix getting tired?

Nearly getting 2 takedowns is the same as getting no takedowns. If Fix is made to actually wrestle instead of backing up, this match possibly has a different outcome. A neutral site changes the outcome IMO.

I think it's a tossup whether DeSanto sees Fix again this season.

First things first -- he needs to beat Suriano in a rematch to get a 3-seed at Nationals, and both Suariano and Micic to get #1 or #2. If he places 3rd at B1Gs (and Micic 1st), then DeSanto is likely a 4-seed at nationals and looking at Micic (rather than Fix) in the semis.

Of course, 133 is the kind of weight class where the unexpected should probably be expected.

Stoll has a physical knee disability that inhibits him from getting out even if he knew how.

With your logic, a wrestler could never improve and win a positional situation that they lost before.

Oh, he could possibly get out. But the reason to choose bottom is because it is hopefully an easy point. Clearly that’s not the case here. So, strategically, it’s best to give yourself the more time in neutral to score takedowns.

Now, if he has choice when it’s the 3rd period and he has a two point lead then by all means choose bottom and make sure you don’t get turned. But in general, he should choose neutral.

If he wins the TD battle he wins the match. But the rules and officials currently favor leg riders, so you fight against that at your peril.

It was the perfect time to choose down for Desanto. An end of the season match that has no effect on the Big Ten seeding. Why not see what Fix has on top. You can bet the coaches will figure out ways to help Desanto escape next time.

This...it wasn't TnT machismo but seeing what he could do and seeing what Fix was about on top. Better to test it now than to get under during NCAA. Just like Warner choosing down...now they have two mins of tape to deconstruct of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT