ADVERTISEMENT

Fix

Oh, he could possibly get out. But the reason to choose bottom is because it is hopefully an easy point. Clearly that’s not the case here. So, strategically, it’s best to give yourself the more time in neutral to score takedowns.

What if Desanto gets taken down in a match against Fix at NCAAs and has never been on bottom? Like it or not, having felt a guy's ride and gameplanned it is a big psych edge.

What if Desanto gets taken down in a match against Fix at NCAAs and has never been on bottom? Like it or not, having felt a guy's ride and gameplanned it is a big psych edge.

I think Fix already has a big psychological advantage having ridden Austin hard.

Either way, my original point was that whatever decision he made in the dual, if Austin faces the same situation at Nationals, clearly the strategic move would be to choose neutral. But my suspicion is Tom will put him on bottom because Tom prefers machismo over strategy.

I think Fix already has a big psychological advantage having ridden Austin hard.

Either way, my original point was that whatever decision he made in the dual, if Austin faces the same situation at Nationals, clearly the strategic move would be to choose neutral. But my suspicion is Tom will put him on bottom because Tom prefers machismo over strategy.

Like when he had Metcalf go under Palmer in the 2010 finals.

oh wait

I watched fix/desanto again a few times. I could be way off base, but it seemed to me like Austin was much closer to getting out from bottom/reversal than he was to ever securing a takedown. Austin had 2 real attempts to get out from bottom in the 3rd. The first was about 1/2 way through the period, and the 2nd with about 20 seconds left. Oddly enough, in those situations, he didn't seem to worry about hand control, just stood up and tried to clear the legs. Movement was the key in both situations. If you watch how the period started, Austin's first move was to try and block off the whistle, no movement, allowing Daton to get the position that he wanted. I'm hoping that they recognize that Fix never threatened to turn and Austin just starts moving off the whistle to create space, allowing for an opportunity to escape or reverse.

While on their feet, I did not see an example of where Austin was close to securing a takedown. Yes, he moved Daton all over the mat, but that is playing right into Daton's wheelhouse of counter strikes. And it pretty much worked for Daton, but what I thought was a takedown was not awarded. If Austin is going to get the stall calls on the feet, he will absolutely have to make more real attempts at shots on the legs.

If the push-out does not become a college rule, I think a 5-second count should be instituted for having one point of support out of bounds while in neutral. After 5s, stalling. If the goal is to have the competition be in the center of the mat, allowing a wrestler to stand with one or both feet out of the circle for most of the period is a dereliction of duty by the ref IMO.

Curious, instead of playing the line game, would DeSanto or Wilcke been better-off pushing to the OB line then back-pedaling (safely) to center and forcing the action back there. How is back-pedaling to center viewed by the ref?
I can't believe they don't institute the one point push out, easy freaking fix to stop that crap.
Be so much more exciting too!

Reactions: artradley
You guys realize fix came close to getting two take downs in that match. I don’t think Austin touched the legs. May be the first shot wasn’t as good as the second shot but fox got to legs twice. Austin will have to shoot because fix will win on his feet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT