ADVERTISEMENT

Fleck and Campbell (Recruiting vs. Iowa).

What talent did Fleck inherit? Please detail this for me.

Thanks!
Running back rodney smith
Lb Thomas barber
Wr tyler johnson
Lb carter coughlin
Ot donnel greene
Lb kamal martin

Yes the gophers had a sinkhole at Quarterback when fleck took over. But fleck appears to be solving that. They have very young talent there that needs to mature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Full Measures
I think flec is a good hire. But as trained traffic engineer camparing winning percentage in the mac to the big ten is not solid logic. Also iowa was not well stocked when kirk took over. Fleck took over a couple years afer jerry kills health problems. Fleck inherited more talent in his first year than kirk did.
Pretty appropriate comparison if you limit it to B10 West games.

Well, then you are flat out stupid.

Kirk against the big 10 is 86-68.............56%

Fleck against the MAC is 21-11.......66%

I don't know what the hell you are talking about but carry on. LMAO
Good lord your a dumbass.....LOL It's pretty obvious that you don't know what were talking about. Were not talking about Kirk. I merely stated that if Fleck is an elite coach with a 54% W/L record then Kirk must be a super elite coach because his W/L % is higher. And 66%? What about his grand first season in Gopherville? Dude, your an idiot. LOL And even a complete idiot like you should understand that winning in the BiG is much tougher then winning in the MAC. No, I guess you are probably not capable of understanding....My bad. Come back in a couple years when your "ELITE" coach is on his way out and looking for an FCS school who will hire him.

Good lord your a dumbass.....LOL It's pretty obvious that you don't know what were talking about. Were not talking about Kirk. I merely stated that if Fleck is an elite coach with a 54% W/L record then Kirk must be a super elite coach because his W/L % is higher. And 66%? What about his grand first season in Gopherville? Dude, your an idiot. LOL And even a complete idiot like you should understand that winning in the BiG is much tougher then winning in the MAC. No, I guess you are probably not capable of understanding....My bad. Come back in a couple years when your "ELITE" coach is on his way out and looking for an FCS school who will hire him.

He took over a down program at WMU and would have kept winning big. He left after 3 years.

He took over a down program at Minnesota and has had one year.

If that's the comparison, I'm laughing my ass off.

Kirk in his first 3 years at Maine and his one in Iowa was 13-31.

Fleck in his 3 years at WMU and one at Minnesota has a winning record.

There is nothing like the comparisons made on this site. All I can do is laugh all day.

Seriously, Scotthawk.

Last edited:
Running back rodney smith
Lb Thomas barber
Wr tyler johnson
Lb carter coughlin
Ot donnel greene
Lb kamal martin

Yes the gophers had a sinkhole at Quarterback when fleck took over. But fleck appears to be solving that. They have very young talent there that needs to mature.

Barber was heavy and out of shape last year. They say he has dropped the baby fat and worked out hard. Marion Barber's kid!

Coughlin was played out of position due to lack of players and nothing at DE.

Johnson seems to be good against the lower teams and invisible against the good teams. Although the qb situation didn't help him. He needs someone on the other side but dam is he an athlete.

Greene was ok. Nothing special.

We have 8 rostered seniors this year and 15 rostered juniors. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new faces. There will be tons of youth all over the field. I can't wait to see them.

Minnesota should improve a lot in the future. I lived in st louis park a couple years. My brother lives in coon rapids and just retired from the univ of minnesota this year. Wonderful place to live up there. Lots of things to do. Great fishing and nice summers. My brother and i are both hawk fans. We had lots of kidding around with gopher fans. You really have to get to northern minnesota in the summer if you like the outdoors. It does help to take vacation in the winter for awhile and head way south though.

Last edited:
Barber was heavy and out of shape last year. They say he has dropped the baby fat and worked out hard. Marion Barber's kid!

Coughlin was played out of position due to lack of players and nothing at DE.

Johnson seems to be good against the lower teams and invisible against the good teams. Although the qb situation didn't help him. He needs someone on the other side but dam is he an athlete.

Greene was ok. Nothing special.

We have 8 rostered seniors this year and 15 rostered juniors. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new faces. There will be tons of youth all over the field. I can't wait to see them.

Maroney and Barber were one hell of a 1-2 punch.

Maroney and Barber were one hell of a 1-2 punch.
..... shannon brooks was good too. For awhile there my brother was on the gopher telecommunications team for gopher sports. For repairing and installing communications equipment so he got to know all lot of the gopher football players and coaches. One time on a dare he even spent the second half in Kinnick on the gopher sideline with an iowa jacket on. I couldnt believe the gopher coaching staff allowed it. I guess they wanted their field communications to work. The iowa press totally missed the photo op. And i did not have a camera with me. Finally one of the coaches did ask him to please go to locker room with about seven minutes to go in the game. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Full Measures
He took over a down program at WMU and would have kept winning big. He left after 3 years.

He took over a down program at Minnesota and has had one year.

If that's the comparison, I'm laughing my ass off.

Kirk in his first 3 years at Maine and his one in Iowa was 13-31.

Fleck in his 3 years at WMU and one at Minnesota has a winning record.

There is nothing like the comparisons made on this site. All I can do is laugh all day.

Seriously, Scotthawk.
Keep laughing, cuz in the end that is all you will have., a good laugh LOL Come see me when Fleck has won a BiG championship. Now go home and support your team instead of wasting time on OUR site

Keep laughing, cuz in the end that is all you will have., a good laugh LOL Come see me when Fleck has won a BiG championship. Now go home and support your team instead of wasting time on OUR site

Has Iowa won a big 10 championship?

Has Iowa won a big 10 championship?
Last championship for iowa was 2004. I was at that game. It has been awhile. But kirk also got one in 2002. I was at that game also. With urban meyer at osu you pretty much have to be national champion to get a big ten title now. It is more realistic to think west title. We got one in 2015 and were one defensive stop away from a big ten title.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotthawk1964

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Reactions: DEREKoh2
Derek finally showing his colors with the avatar, good for you. Now if you can just get those other things figured out you might be in good shape.

You’re clearly not a Minn fan if you have to ask if Iowa’s ever won a B1G title.

Hell it seems like we practically tear down Minn’s goalposts everytime we win the title.

My bad, I've always felt winning the big 10 championship was when they split into two divisions and whoever wins the west goes to the big 10 championship and plays the other side for the championship. I can be so dumb sometimes. LOL

My bad, I've always felt winning the big 10 championship was when they split into two divisions and whoever wins the west goes to the big 10 championship and plays the other side for the championship. I can be so dumb sometimes. LOL

Dude, he's yanking your chain, 'trying' to feign being a Gopher fan.

I hear ya on the “you can be so dumb sometimes” comment.

Just remember, we don’t tear down Minnesota’s goalposts for just ANY reason!

That’s not the Iowa way. They recruit players who fit the mold not everyone at 7/11.

I would not want us to offer everyone and their friends, brothers, etc - let's be a little selective - how do you even manage to keep up with the #'s they offer

So, the B1G didnt exist and no one earned a conference championship before they added PSU, Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers? So, all those championships OSU and Michigan won don't count anymore because the conference has 14 teams now as opposed to 10 back then?
Got it.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
So, the B1G didnt exist and no one earned a conference championship before they added PSU, Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers? So, all those championships OSU and Michigan won don't count anymore because the conference has 14 teams now as opposed to 10 back then?
Got it.

His argument is puzzling, since the last time Minnie won a Big Ten football title was back in the old ten team years. Woody Hayes was at Ohio State, Bo Schembechler was coaching at Miami (OH). Minnie was also a power in the Big Ten when the University of Chicago Maroons were playing football in the conference.

In other words you believed there had not been a big 10 football champion until 2011? Yep, you ARE pretty dumb.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
FACTS

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
MN - 7
Iowa - 1(surprised me had no idea)

BIG 10 CHAMPIONSHIPS
MN - 18
Iowa - 13

Iowa beat a bad MN team in Iowa 17-10 last year

Does any of this matter? No not really, think we both will agree, someone needs to step up and take down Wisconsin. They are owning the West.

I know lot of Iowa fans don't think much of Fleck, hard to judge a coach after one year. But I think if anyone is gonna get us out of oblivion it is Fleck. He is an outstanding recruiter, still an unknown as a coach, but I do think he wasn't given a great situation to win last year.

I have noticed Iowa is recruiting at a higher level, as is most in the West. Should help us catch up to Wisconsin in time.

Gonna share a back and forth between SBNation with Iowa and MN. I found it amusing from both sides.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...owa-hawkeyes-college-football-recruiting-ncaa

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...ll-recruiting-pj-fleck-hawkeyes-decommitments

Last championship for iowa was 2004. I was at that game. It has been awhile. But kirk also got one in 2002. I was at that game also. With urban meyer at osu you pretty much have to be national champion to get a big ten title now. It is more realistic to think west title. We got one in 2015 and were one defensive stop away from a big ten title.

We've heard this a lot as members of the West. I believe the path to the Playoffs (and a Natty) has never been easier. The new system really favors the non-helmet schools. Win the West and things get serious very quickly. You're essentially a win away from the Playoff. Yes, it would likely require a big upset over the bEast, but it will happen sooner or later. Easier said than done, I know. I think it could even be used as a good recruiting tool for West teams.

ADVERTISEMENT