ADVERTISEMENT

Flo does it again...

FD_HWC

Rookie
Jul 7, 2017
We all owe Flo a big thank you for the recently released new and additional content coming out of their #Terry production. Any kid in the country, that has real desire to be the best, who watches this new content MUST at least consider that The Brands Way could give them the best shot at achieving their goals. Incredible. Anybody that says that Flo is bad for Iowa is a complete idiot. By the way, thinks Alger takes the 5 million cash?

Easy there lil Feller. I don't think many are saying Flo is "bad for Iowa" but it is totally reasonable to say Willie, Christian and company are generally biased against Iowa and appear to have hard-ons lasting more than 4 hours for PSU and OSU.

Is there any way to download Terry or buy a copy on dvd or bluray? I watched it on flo last year, but there was no way to download it an keep it. I emailed at the time and they said they don't have that option available to them. That's documentary I'd like to make sure I can keep forever. Very motivating.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Is there any way to download Terry or buy a copy on dvd or bluray? I watched it on flo last year, but there was no way to download it an keep it. I emailed at the time and they said they don't have that option available to them. That's documentary I'd like to make sure I can keep forever. Very motivating.
Did you really just ask for a Blu-ray copy? You sound as old as I feel. You should ask these kids how to have the video beamed to your digital glasses and watch it in virtual mode. Terry will lat drop you in the end.

Nomad just has terrible takes that make no sense... For some reason he sprinkles in a little Hawkeye hate. But you can't be mad about them loving on the top teams in the sport. Can you be mad that Clemson and Alabama got a lot of ESPN coverage the last couple years?.. You cover who's at the top, and for real, the Hawks get a lot of love too. If you listen to FRL and follow their media accounts, we are doing just fine.

Easy there lil Feller. I don't think many are saying Flo is "bad for Iowa" but it is totally reasonable to say Willie, Christian and company are generally biased against Iowa and appear to have hard-ons lasting more than 4 hours for PSU and OSU.
Hysterically untrue.

Reactions: SurgeonMMA
There's absolutely no reason why they can't offer this service to their client base or anyone for that matter. I guarantee they already have the software to create the dvd/ bluray templates (all editing software that carries its weight comes with its own version of DVD Studio). They even create dvd printing decals that look great. Once you create the template it's on autopilot from there. Easy peasy. At least it was a decade ago when I did this type of stuff for the U of I. I assume it's only gotten easier and faster.

It's a lack of foresight that is holding them back at this point. It's just lazy that they don't want to take their original content to the next level. They already own the expensive software/hardware to get it done, now they need to purchase the dvds to do it.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life247
There's absolutely no reason why they can't offer this service to their client base or anyone for that matter. I guarantee they already have the software to create the dvd/ bluray templates (all editing software that carries its weight comes with its own version of DVD Studio). They even create dvd printing decals that look great. Once you create the template it's on autopilot from there. Easy peasy. At least it was a decade ago when I did this type of stuff for the U of I. I assume it's only gotten easier and faster.

It's a lack of foresight that is holding them back at this point. It's just lazy that they don't want to take their original content to the next level. They already own the expensive software/hardware to get it done, now they need to purchase the dvds to do it.
This is a little short sighted. There is much more behind the scenes. You do realize that up until this week, Flo could not even play this for a long period if time due to some copyright permissions, right? Can you imagine if there were DVDs out there that were suddenly "unauthorized".

Flo has explained the situation but if they knew it was a possibility that they might lose some privileges, they would be stupid to go down the DVD path in the past. Some things may not be worth the pain. They have a small operation and can't be everything all at once.

That said, it would be great if there was a DVD. Until then, buy a flo subscription and a chromecast and you have the the same thing.

I'm no content expert, but I think that some their reasoning to not "have it available" for hard-copy purchase is rights to the content that is in the movie. Rights contracts were the reason that the movie was unavailable for about a year in the 1st place. Those rights to re-broadcast are not granted forever and they likely needed to re-negotiate the right to sell the Olympic/NBC/IPTV footage on their streaming service, and likely specific to the streaming service. Were they to sell hard copies they would likely have to negotiate different terms with the owners of the footage which would probably be more expensive for Flo.

The other argument is that the younger generation of folks don't keep hard copies of anything. Magazines, movies, music, et. al. are all streamed these days and it's likely to trend even more in that direction. Flo knows this and by keeping it streaming-only they can make sure you keep subscribing to watch their content. The old soul in me does not like this, as I like to "have" my stuff and keep it, but many (or most at this point) would rather just subscribe to the digital right to watch (listen, read, etc.) and be dependent on "the network" to always have it available.

If you dig hard enough, you'll find software that allows you to rip it from the internet for "personal use only" which is fundamentally no different than putting a tape in the VCR to record for later viewing of your own.

I have not had enough time to re-watch the entire documentary yet, but the bonus content is great. I'm a big fan, both of #Terry and of the Flo guys.

PM

This is a little short sighted. There is much more behind the scenes. You do realize that up until this week, Flo could not even play this for a long period if time due to some copyright permissions, right? Can you imagine if there were DVDs out there that were suddenly "unauthorized".

Flo has explained the situation but if they knew it was a possibility that they might lose some privileges, they would be stupid to go down the DVD path in the past. Some things may not be worth the pain. They have a small operation and can't be everything all at once.

That said, it would be great if there was a DVD. Until then, buy a flo subscription and a chromecast and you have the the same thing.

Beat me to it . . . :)

I'm no content expert, but I think that some their reasoning to not "have it available" for hard-copy purchase is rights to the content that is in the movie. Rights contracts were the reason that the movie was unavailable for about a year in the 1st place. Those rights to re-broadcast are not granted forever and they likely needed to re-negotiate the right to sell the Olympic/NBC/IPTV footage on their streaming service, and likely specific to the streaming service. Were they to sell hard copies they would likely have to negotiate different terms with the owners of the footage which would probably be more expensive for Flo.

The other argument is that the younger generation of folks don't keep hard copies of anything. Magazines, movies, music, et. al. are all streamed these days and it's likely to trend even more in that direction. Flo knows this and by keeping it streaming-only they can make sure you keep subscribing to watch their content. The old soul in me does not like this, as I like to "have" my stuff and keep it, but many (or most at this point) would rather just subscribe to the digital right to watch (listen, read, etc.) and be dependent on "the network" to always have it available.

If you dig hard enough, you'll find software that allows you to rip it from the internet for "personal use only" which is fundamentally no different than putting a tape in the VCR to record for later viewing of your own.

I have not had enough time to re-watch the entire documentary yet, but the bonus content is great. I'm a big fan, both of #Terry and of the Flo guys.

PM

You don't point the camera at anything you don't have the rights to, that includes somebody's likeness and image without some sort of ND agreement or contract. You don't turn the mic to anything you don't own. A lot of times you can simply get written permission and you're covered.

I love Flo's original content and i think they do a helluva a job, but my point is if they want to take it up a notch then they need to figure some things out. I didn't know the specifics behind "Terry" so thank you for sharing. But those are fundamental filming mistakes that could have been avoided in pre production/ production/ post production before releasing the film. You simply don't release anything without being 100% sure that you're ready to go. So that was an absolutely huge mistake on Flo's behalf and one that should have never occurred.

I haven't been able to view "Terry" yet since it was down during my whole subscription, so I'm not sure to what extent they were showing licensed content, but again, they should have edited it in a way it could fall under "fair use"

Your other point about digital media is valid, but there is a big problem that a lot of people don't know about or consider. As you mentioned, flo and other media outlets would have to re-negotiate their lease on certain content, which is true, but the same goes for all the big time streaming/ downloading services. As of a month ago Apple was heavily criticized for purchased movies "disappearing" as they may lose the distribution rights with select studios. I can see this becoming a bigger problem over time especially with the likes of Apple, Amazon, Vudu, Moviesanywhere, etc. Then you throw in the cursed problem of DMR and your stuck containing your precious copy to one single format.

That is why a physical copy of anything will always be around, because it is the only way to guarantee whatever it is you've purchased, stays in your hands.

And I remember the good ol' days when Safari could rip anything streaming in the browser...ahhh

I work in the film/ tv industry and we put ourselves through hell and back. It's truly an awful career (most of the time). With that being said, when I see a great piece I want it to be shown everywhere in every format, because that's what those filmmakers deserve. My apologies for the long response, guys, but this has been a good topic. Thank you!

Reactions: merr6267
I only have the app through my Roku.
It seems much more limited in content than the website.

I do like the large amounts of college hockey though, so the subscription is WELL worth it.

But I cannot find much of the extra Terry content.

Any ideas would be appreciated

You don't point the camera at anything you don't have the rights to, that includes somebody's likeness and image without some sort of ND agreement or contract. You don't turn the mic to anything you don't own. A lot of times you can simply get written permission and you're covered.

I love Flo's original content and i think they do a helluva a job, but my point is if they want to take it up a notch then they need to figure some things out. I didn't know the specifics behind "Terry" so thank you for sharing. But those are fundamental filming mistakes that could have been avoided in pre production/ production/ post production before releasing the film. You simply don't release anything without being 100% sure that you're ready to go. So that was an absolutely huge mistake on Flo's behalf and one that should have never occurred.

I haven't been able to view "Terry" yet since it was down during my whole subscription, so I'm not sure to what extent they were showing licensed content, but again, they should have edited it in a way it could fall under "fair use"

Your other point about digital media is valid, but there is a big problem that a lot of people don't know about or consider. As you mentioned, flo and other media outlets would have to re-negotiate their lease on certain content, which is true, but the same goes for all the big time streaming/ downloading services. As of a month ago Apple was heavily criticized for purchased movies "disappearing" as they may lose the distribution rights with select studios. I can see this becoming a bigger problem over time especially with the likes of Apple, Amazon, Vudu, Moviesanywhere, etc. Then you throw in the cursed problem of DMR and your stuck containing your precious copy to one single format.

That is why a physical copy of anything will always be around, because it is the only way to guarantee whatever it is you've purchased, stays in your hands.

And I remember the good ol' days when Safari could rip anything streaming in the browser...ahhh

I work in the film/ tv industry and we put ourselves through hell and back. It's truly an awful career (most of the time). With that being said, when I see a great piece I want it to be shown everywhere in every format, because that's what those filmmakers deserve. My apologies for the long response, guys, but this has been a good topic. Thank you!
I know nothing about the film industry. What were the fundamental filming mistakes they made?

I know nothing about the film industry. What were the fundamental filming mistakes they made?
I will try to watch it this week to figure out what went wrong, but they may have re-edited since it originally aired.

I typically work on fictional pieces so naturally a documentary would be a bit different, but the same principles apply, even with doc being more fluid and open to change.

Regardless, you still have a pretty clear idea of what you want to do and how you want to edit it. The copyright and trademark laws are pretty darn strict, but that's why it's so important to start working on those contracts ahead of time. And a lot of the times you get in trouble is if that company believes you are threatening their brand. In this case, and if it is NBC, I don't see how "Terry" would be doing anything but promoting NBC and their coverage of wrestling at its highest levels.

With that being said, a lot of what these biographical/ educational docs do, can fall under "Fair Use" laws. If they were showing a complete match in its entirety then, yeah, that could be an issue. But again, you don't go into production without knowing you might do that and if you're not sure you either trim down the length of your footage or remove it completely. Makes me wonder how they got around all the ESPN footage in "Mark Perry: Driven"

I know Flosports must have a legal team, probably damn near full time, especially with all the content the company puts out in general. It would've been better to use what is there and starting these talks immediately instead of just throwing it up and winging. A lot of filmmakers and even major studios still live and die by their own unwritten rule of any means necessary, "Hook, crook, or steal." but that's a risky way to go about it.

There's just a lot of things you can fix in pre-production when you're assertive and forward thinking, otherwise it bites you in the ass and shuts you down. Again, I love Flo's content and I want to see them excel and do well. I want to purchase their wrestling docs and have them in my library. I want to see Terry wedged between Terminator and Titanic (alphabetical order)

I will try to watch it this week to figure out what went wrong, but they may have re-edited since it originally aired.

I typically work on fictional pieces so naturally a documentary would be a bit different, but the same principles apply, even with doc being more fluid and open to change.

Regardless, you still have a pretty clear idea of what you want to do and how you want to edit it. The copyright and trademark laws are pretty darn strict, but that's why it's so important to start working on those contracts ahead of time. And a lot of the times you get in trouble is if that company believes you are threatening their brand. In this case, and if it is NBC, I don't see how "Terry" would be doing anything but promoting NBC and their coverage of wrestling at its highest levels.

With that being said, a lot of what these biographical/ educational docs do, can fall under "Fair Use" laws. If they were showing a complete match in its entirety then, yeah, that could be an issue. But again, you don't go into production without knowing you might do that and if you're not sure you either trim down the length of your footage or remove it completely. Makes me wonder how they got around all the ESPN footage in "Mark Perry: Driven"

I know Flosports must have a legal team, probably damn near full time, especially with all the content the company puts out in general. It would've been better to use what is there and starting these talks immediately instead of just throwing it up and winging. A lot of filmmakers and even major studios still live and die by their own unwritten rule of any means necessary, "Hook, crook, or steal." but that's a risky way to go about it.

There's just a lot of things you can fix in pre-production when you're assertive and forward thinking, otherwise it bites you in the ass and shuts you down. Again, I love Flo's content and I want to see them excel and do well. I want to purchase their wrestling docs and have them in my library. I want to see Terry wedged between Terminator and Titanic (alphabetical order)

I might be ignorant to it, but not sure how they were to avoid pointing a camera at certain things when they were from the past and intrigal to the story. You want to have those scenes from the Olympics and IPTV. Pretty sure they did everything right but the contract they were initially able to get ran out and it took negotiating to get the new contract.

Reactions: whejoe
with al due respect, you're making a lot of sweeping generalizations.

you don't know what you're talking about, specifically.
Yup. This is what I do for a living and is my career. I try bringing a little insight to the process, a process I guarantee you don't know about. Since you obviously know all the specifics to filmmaking, where and how did they screw up?

All I'm saying is a little planning and forethought goes along way to circumventing potential problems. Plan your work and work your plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT