ADVERTISEMENT

Flo Technique

iowa_native

Scout Team
Aug 29, 2017
One thing I like about FLO (sure, they do some things well) is that they give the wrestling community access to all kinds of technique from all over the world.

Along those lines, I just checked out a recent vid where Mal breaks down Piccininni’s and Rivera’s escapes against Spencer Lee. And it occurred to me to wonder: how much, if any, do these type of videos help wrestlers scout and prepare for someone like Spencer?

There’s always been some level of preparation in the sport, but with a guy like SL, who is totally dominant, I have to imagine that analytical technique videos—entertaining though they may be as content—could ultimately work against him. At the very least, they make it easier to strategize, compared, say, to a context where you’d never seen nor felt that top game before, or even where you were just watching a recorded match.

I’m not trying to stir the pot here—just thinking about how a media platform like FLO might be tipping the scales when they devote coverage to some wrestlers. Spencer’s not the only one who gets featured in these videos, of course, but in terms of recent history, he seems to be one of the most scrutinized in terms of how guys might strategize/develop a game plan against him.

I realize too that champs will always find a way—Burroughs comes to mind as probably one of the most scouted in the world, and he still hits those doubles—but I thought it might be worth considering when you have an organization compiling videos that make it possible for the field to prepare for you. Makes me respect these top-tier guys even more.

I cant stand some of the faces of Flo, but breaking down matches and wrestlers is no different than ESPN, CBS, FOX, BTN, etc breaking down games and players.

In fact I expect that from any sports media.

If Tom Brady struggles next year dont you think the major sports networks will breakdown the issues?

One thing I like about FLO (sure, they do some things well) is that they give the wrestling community access to all kinds of technique from all over the world.

Along those lines, I just checked out a recent vid where Mal breaks down Piccininni’s and Rivera’s escapes against Spencer Lee. And it occurred to me to wonder: how much, if any, do these type of videos help wrestlers scout and prepare for someone like Spencer?

There’s always been some level of preparation in the sport, but with a guy like SL, who is totally dominant, I have to imagine that analytical technique videos—entertaining though they may be as content—could ultimately work against him. At the very least, they make it easier to strategize, compared, say, to a context where you’d never seen nor felt that top game before, or even where you were just watching a recorded match.

I’m not trying to stir the pot here—just thinking about how a media platform like FLO might be tipping the scales when they devote coverage to some wrestlers. Spencer’s not the only one who gets featured in these videos, of course, but in terms of recent history, he seems to be one of the most scrutinized in terms of how guys might strategize/develop a game plan against him.

I realize too that champs will always find a way—Burroughs comes to mind as probably one of the most scouted in the world, and he still hits those doubles—but I thought it might be worth considering when you have an organization compiling videos that make it possible for the field to prepare for you. Makes me respect these top-tier guys even more.
therasslinfan, made another post on another thread about this and I agree and it is obvious that they have done more of these technique breakdown videos on Spencer than any other wrestler. Last year they did one when Rivera took him down and Mal said at the end, book it and take it to to the bank, Rivera wins the next one. Sorry Mike, Spencer won 12-0.

I agree that the coaches do their own scouting and will be much better than Mal, but this is just one example of how much FLO uses Spencer when they need to for their business, but most of the time they try to hurt his standing. Think about it, I don't know why they work so hard to discredit Spencer, on multiple fronts... CP early in the year tweeting out his advice on how to beat Spencer... did he tweet advice out on any other wrester? Their FRL's (the ducking bull#^#) and highlighting the faltering stories and now the he's not sick stuff, what is it and why do they dislike Spencer so much... serious question.

Last edited:
Reactions: TtotheL
Think about it, I don't know why they work so hard to discredit Spencer, on multiple fronts... Their FRL's (the ducking bull#^#) and highlighting the faltering stories and now the he's not sick stuff, what is it and why do they dislike Spencer so much... serious question.
Maybe it's because Spencer Lee doesn't fit into the narrative of one-dimensional Iowa wrestlers with no technique. The truth is that wrestlers with great technique (like Lee or Perry) thrive at Iowa.

Great to see everyone fighting for Spencer. I think any program who is half decent spotted this already after the Midlands match so this probably isn't much of a secret. To put a positive spin on it, maybe this makes it easier for our coaching staff to highlight to the officials that guys are moving before the whistle and leads to more proper caution calls.

Not like there wasn't a library of video on Spencer before this season to include last year where many couldn't stop him...it was no secret what Spencer was about which makes me wonder how the narrative that he all of a sudden got figured out came about.

The good news is that Flo is not adding the slightest iota of any useful information that will help any wrestler to ultimately beat Spencer. Every D1 coach already sees more than anything Flo does.

Reactions: Gobblin
Not like there wasn't a library of video on Spencer before this season to include last year where many couldn't stop him...it was no secret what Spencer was about which makes me wonder how the narrative that he all of a sudden got figured out came about.
IMO that narrative came from two places:

Flo/wrestling media/media in general have a lot of air time to fill. They need something to talk about. Regardless of how dumb "he's figured out" sounds, and even though they knows it's dumb, it keeps ears and the discussion moving.

Second, and this is why people want to buy the lie, is that human beings inherently want/need explanations. I'm a much more experienced basketball coach than wrestling, and have no idea about technique involved in wrestling (some would tell you basketball as well- that's a joke I hope). But I know that the explanation for why my team was playing like shit, or we were playing great, was rarely the reason that the murmurs in the crowd believed. The experts in the stands had no clue, but people can't accept that.

The press that was getting cut up wasn't working because the other team solved it, but rather because one small detail, that those idiots would never look for, wasn't getting tended to. When our zone offense was on all cylinders, it was because our guy at the elbow was active, not because the shooters outside were knocking down shots (though that helps).

I guess my bottom line is that having an explanation makes us feel good. Reality is that Spencer isn't figured out. Something's up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT