ADVERTISEMENT

Florida bans teaching about gender identity in all public schools

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Florida Board of Education has forbidden the teaching of gender identity and sexuality throughout all grades in K-12 public schools, extending a nearly year-old legislative ban on such lessons from kindergarten through third grade.

The board voted Wednesday to adopt a new rule that says Florida teachers in grades 4 through 12 ″shall not intentionally provide classroom instruction … on sexual orientation or gender identity” unless this instruction is required by state academic standards — it is not — or the lessons form “part of a reproductive health course” from which a student’s parent can opt out their child.

Reproductive health lessons are unlikely to mention sexual orientation or gender identity, Florida Chancellor for K-12 Public Schools Paul Burns said at the meeting Wednesday, given that “abstinence is the required expectation of what we teach in our schools” when it comes to health classes.

ADVERTISING

Teachers who violate the ban could see their teaching licenses suspended or revoked, per the rule.
The rule builds on a law enacted in early 2022, the Parental Rights in Education Act, that outlawed classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity in grades K-3 and required that lessons on these issues remain “developmentally appropriate” for older grades.
The board’s passage of the rule drew immediate outrage from LGBTQ advocates and education experts, who slammed the restrictions as likely to chill teachers’ speech, confuse educators about what they are permitted to teach across a wide variety of subjects and cause harm to LGBTQ children.

During public comment before the vote, Joe Saunders, senior political director for Equality Florida, asked the board whether its members believed it would be wrong to teach students in an 11th-grade civics course about the landmark Supreme Court ruling that granted the right to marry to same-sex couples.

“Under the vague new rules, a teacher who taught this would be fired and their career would end,” Saunders said. “This rule is by design a tool for curating fear, anxiety and the erasure of our LGBTQ community.”
But dozens of Floridians, many of them wearing Moms for Liberty T-shirts, shared support during the meeting’s public-comment period, praising it as a common-sense measure that will allow parents to better shape their child’s upbringing when it comes to sensitive societal and cultural issues.

“These decisions should be left at home for parents to decide when and if their children are exposed to this material,” said Ryan Kennedy of the education advocacy group, Florida Citizens Alliance.
The rule will not require legislative approval. It comes as the Republican-dominated state legislature is separately considering a bill that would have extended the ban on gender identity and sexual orientation lessons in a narrower way — through eighth grade.

Sounds like something that should be taught at home. Don't need agenda driven government employees who have no knowledge, understanding, history or future with my child teaching them how they should live, believe or think.

It’s so weird. The MAGA knuckle draggers told us a few months ago when the cancel culture was first rolled out that it was common sense, and targeted at K-3. Protecting the kids and all.
Now it’s out in the open. No fag**s in Florida. That’s the goal. This is just one more step. It won’t end here.

Why are Rs this obsessed over trans kids? It's absurd it's the only legislation they've been able to pass since midterms.
Cons are making the agenda about trans because they don't want people talking about abortion. Or guns.

They are attacking trans because they can no longer attack gays. Or immigrants.

The "secret sauce" that binds all Republicans together is bigotry. Hating groups of people. Ask any of them. They either hate the blacks (CRT), the browns (illegals), or the gays (trans).

They also have no ideas about solving everyday issues people are dealing with (inflation, lack of wage growth, 50% of all families have medical debt, home affordability), so they are left beating the same drums they do have that motivates their base over and over and over again. They will keep repealing gun regulations forever just to keep it in the minds of their voters. They will keep going until they totally ban birth control ("abortificants") after abortion is banned nation-wide. What else can they talk about but finding some new tiny portion of society to hate and demonize to motivate their base enough to keep voting to turn their meager and diminishing wealth over to the billionaire corporateers that run the Republican party.

Why are Rs this obsessed over trans kids? It's absurd it's the only legislation they've been able to pass since midterms.
They do not give a FLYING FVCK about trans kids. The GOP, for years, has made it's money demonizing marginalized groups. It's all they have now. They have not a single idea on how to actually govern.

edit: what Slappy said better than I could have ^^^. I am to the point now that if you tell me you're a Republican, I think less of you than the dog shit I scrap off the bottom of my shoe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT