ADVERTISEMENT

Florida removes sociology as core course option for public colleges

College education is supposed to teach kids how to think, not just fill your head with proven facts, A variety of different thought provoking courses is important to accomplish that goal.

There is no way that a 3 credit hour course is going to brainwash anyone.

Which of course is completely consistent with the left's propensity for creating "safe spaces" and race specific graduation ceremonies and such.

Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

I took Sociology 101 in college. It was funny but also annoying.

The professor was basically a Marxist. The entire course was her pushing her left wing views.

She said one gem in class: "When you walk into low income areas and see people standing on the corner, they're looking for day jobs."

The entire class was basically how society shapes everything humans do and we have no free will because of it.

I got an A+ in the class because I told them everything they wanted to hear.

I got a 100% on the first exam which was basically "George Bush bad." The commie TA with spiked hair called it out in front of the small group.

I never got 100% on any other college test. 😆

CSB.
Yeah, higher ed has some issues.

But I don't think I want state level legislation fixing all those problems. Opens up a completely new can of worms.

BTW I disagree about Sociology being “useless”.
Taken at its most basic level it brings “young skulls full of mush” from all backgrounds and demographics into a space where they find out (some for the first time) that not everyone is like them, or their family, or their high school friends. And it (used to) have a useful purpose in that regard.
Have a certain stance you’ve held since you were little and you believe it because it’s what you were taught by your parents, or at your church, or at your school, and now someone in your class is expressing an opinion you think is wrong? Learn to listen to what they are saying think about it, and then speak up and say what you think and defend why you think it. Or realize they have a good point and adjust your position accordingly.
Isn’t that one of the skills we’re supposed to pick up in college that proves valuable all through life? Is it one that’s become rare of late?
You cannot convince me it’s no longer a valuable skill.
Absolutely. +17 pts. awarded.

I thought that was the point of college. Being challenged and doing the challenging.

Reactions: goldmom
College education is supposed to teach kids how to think, not just fill your head with proven facts, A variety of different thought provoking courses is important to accomplish that goal.

There is no way that a 3 credit hour course is going to brainwash anyone.

Not saying it will. But if your entire "science" are hypotheses that cannot be tested, is it even a science?

I am just saying I can see where the right is coming from on this one. I say that also not trusting DeSantis hand picked appointees.

I can name a long list of hypotheses from sociology that support an extremely left wing point of view. Is there one hypothesis that is well taught and well known in the field of sociology that supports a right wing point of view?

If more people took sociology courses the GOP's war against Taylor Swift, the NFL, Bud Light, and Disney would somewhat make sense.

Sociology is amongst the most useless majors offered by colleges and universities. Graduate with a degree in Sociology and then tell me what job you're going to pursue.

I took a few of these classes as electives several years back. It was basically a DNC committee meeting. Might as well have called it the 'Young Democrats" club.

And I've stated this on here before. I intentionally had to write papers in a way to please the horrible person who was instructing the courses. Anything less than total compliance would have resulted in a poor grade. So I played the game.
Confused Emma Stone GIF by SAG Awards

I don't think Florida’s curriculum requirements register as important to anyone outside of those taking or teaching college courses in Florida.
I think you’re correct about that but it probably applies to just about any state school across the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT