ADVERTISEMENT

Florida beaches

Key West has beautiful water, if you have a boat. The beaches suck. With kids, I’d say go to someplace like Sanibel/Captiva in late December.

Yeah I was going to say you shouldn't go to key west for the beaches. If you have a boat and can get out to snipes point or marvin key that's a different story. Some of the better beaches in the state are along the pandhandle from Destin to Pensacloa.

For the area the OP is referencing, probably saint pete.

St. Pete Beach for me. Close to Tampa and St. Pete, nice beaches. I'd just watch the weather and if a day hits temps in 70's/80's hope in the car and head over. Just don't die on I-4.

Reactions: goldmom
Yeah I was going to say you shouldn't go to key west for the beaches. If you have a boat and can get out to snipes point or marvin key that's a different story. Some of the better beaches in the state are along the pandhandle from Destin to Pensacloa.

The back side Snipes close to the bird sanctuary is my heaven.

Destin is likely to be freezing cold that time of year.

I'd go as far south as you can manage if you want a day on the beach.

In late December/early January highs could be in the 80s or they might be in the 50s. And freezing lows are not unheard of anywhere north of Orlando.

So, the farther south you go, the better chance for warm weather will be.

Iowans might remember how cold it was in Miami at the Orange Bowl in 2010....
This.

My mom and step dad used to spend November and December at a hotel on the beach in Panama City. I visited several times and it definitely was not swimming weather. By Iowa standards, it wasn't freezing for me, but definitely cool.

Reactions: goldmom
St. Pete Beach for me. Close to Tampa and St. Pete, nice beaches. I'd just watch the weather and if a day hits temps in 70's/80's hope in the car and head over. Just don't die on I-4.
You can’t drive fast enough on I-4 to die. The construction cones slow you down.

• Haha
Reactions: Nole-4-Life
The back side Snipes close to the bird sanctuary is my heaven.

I used to love to go water skiing/hydrosliding in mud key. You usually had to cross shallow water to get there which sometimes meant everyone getting out of the boat and pushing it across but once you were there the water was always super calm. The mangroves formed a natural ski course and blocked any waves. We would drop off everybody at snipes and then take whoever wanted to ski over to mud key.

116359190_190416249177487_8738864084482277822_n.jpg

Reactions: runkpanole

Destin to Pensacola Beach is too cold in December and January, and too crowded from March to September.

Sanibel is the best bet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT