ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Eyes $5 Million Fund to Help Cover Trump’s Legal Bills

dgordo

HR Legend
Nov 15, 2001
Chicago

A Florida bill backed by the state’s chief financial officer would create a $5 million fund to help pay for former President Donald Trump’s mounting legal fees.

State Senator Ileana Garcia, a Republican, has filed a proposal to create the “Freedom Fighters Fund,” which would provide financial support for Florida residents running for president who face legal action. Trump, who is seeking a second term, lives in the Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida.

The proposal, which still must clear multiple committees, underscores the broader fealty of Republicans to Trump as leader of the party. It comes a day after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis ended his struggling White House campaign and endorsed the former president.

Hubris, Infighting, Awkward Moments: How DeSantis 2024 Unraveled

“If we can help and support a Florida candidate for the White House, that’s just good from a dollars and cents perspective,” said Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis in an emailed statement supporting the bill.

Patronis, a former lawmaker who has served as Florida’s CFO since 2017, has led some of the state’s biggest attacks on finance, including cutting BlackRock Inc. out of some state funds because of its support for investments that consider a company’s environmental, social and corporate governance policies. He endorsed Trump less than an hour after DeSantis dropped out.

Trump faces an unprecedented legal onslaught, with 91 felony charges in four separate cases. They range from conspiring to defraud the US in his efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss to falsifying business records to cover up hush money paid to an adult film actress.

How Trump’s Candidacy Tests the US Constitution: QuickTake

The proposed $5 million for the new fund would come from the state’s public campaign-matching funds program, which would later be replenished from voluntary donations via driver’s license registrations, according to Patronis.

200w.gif

I’m gonna chalk this up to one of those “beginning of the session and throw out crap to get attention” bills
I would too, except, you know, it's a cult. The lack of negative responses by our resident Floridian fluffers tells me this has a chance of passing. Do you think DeSantis will vigorously block it?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I don’t like DeSantis much, but good for him on this one.

Shame on Rep Garcia and Jimmy Patronis for supporting such nonsense.
One of two things is true - either Ron knows it doesn't have a prayer so he won't need to veto it or it will pass with overwhelming support from the FLGOP and he'll bow to "the will of the people". There's no f'n way he pisses off FL MAGATs.

One of two things is true - either Ron knows it doesn't have a prayer so he won't need to veto it or it will pass with overwhelming support from the FLGOP and he'll bow to "the will of the people". There's no f'n way he pisses off FL MAGATs.
“Yes, Casey.“

The words from our clown governor are encouraging but I am waiting until the legislative session is over before believing this won’t be enacted.
Sounds like the sponsor withdrew it after DeSantis crapping on the idea. This seems good and bad. Good because it dispenses with a terrible idea. I suppose also bad because it makes you wonder if the legislature is still going to cave and bend to RDS’ desires like it has the past few years.

Ron already said this is DOA on his desk. It was a nice try to suck up to the orange turd but much like Trump's border wall... this ain't getting paid for by anyone else but him.
Trump is constantly fundraising off of the rubes for his legal defense fund. I'm sure your inbox and phone have received numerous pleas for help in fighting the racist Biden judges!

Trump is constantly fundraising off of the rubes for his legal defense fund. I'm sure your inbox and phone have received numerous pleas for help in fighting the racist Biden judges!
Not my inbox or phone. I have never, and will never give a dime to a guy who brags about how rich he is, for legal funds for crimes he committed.

Not my inbox or phone. I have never, and will never give a dime to a guy who brags about how rich he is, for legal funds for crimes he committed.
That might be true but he’s still not paying these bills himself. The donors are paying the bills.

Reactions: goldmom
Sounds like the sponsor withdrew it after DeSantis crapping on the idea. This seems good and bad. Good because it dispenses with a terrible idea. I suppose also bad because it makes you wonder if the legislature is still going to cave and bend to RDS’ desires like it has the past few years.
Bend if it’s a stupid idea, you mean?
As an out of stater like most of the posters in this thread, I am amused by those who don’t hesitate to comment on the workings of our state when most of y’all don’t know 💩.

• Love
Reactions: KFsdisciple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT