ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa sets aside almost $180 million for year two of voucher program

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa has committed nearly $180 million in taxpayer funds to support private school tuition in the 2024-25 school year, which is almost $50 million more than the initial Iowa Legislative Service Agency (LSA) projections.

Initially, the LSA projected Iowa would spend $106.9 million in the first year of Gov. Kim Reynolds’ private school voucher program—called Students First Education Savings Accounts—and $132.3 million in the second year.

However, the first year of the program cost Iowa taxpayers nearly $128 million. The Iowa Legislature allocated $179.2 million to the program for the upcoming fiscal year, according to the state’s recently approved general fund.

These amounts are only expected to increase as restrictions on who can participate in the program are rolled back.

The first year restricted access to students with a household income at or below 300% of the federal poverty guideline, but that restriction will be raised to 400% ($124,800 for a family of four) in the 2024-25 school year, before being phased out entirely in the 2025-26 school year.

Each voucher recipient will receive $7,826 in taxpayer funds to help cover private school tuition in the 2024-25 school year (the amount changes each year based on the state’s per-pupil funding). Predicated on this year’s budgeted amount, the state expects at least 22,897 students to receive a voucher.

Another big change for the upcoming 2024-25 year is that public school districts will directly lose money due to voucher program.

State funding for public schools is primarily based on enrollment weighting and state cost per pupil. Before the voucher law, districts still received those funds from the state even for students who lived in the district but did not attend a public school. Going forward, districts will no longer receive those dollars.

For every student lost to a voucher, the state will instead provide a school district $1,205 in categorical funding, meaning those dollars can’t be used in the general fund, since those funds are intended “for particular categories of students, special programs, or special purposes.”

In an interview with the Cedar Rapids Gazette, Iowa City School District Chief Financial Officer Adam Kurth estimated the district—the fourth largest in Iowa—will lose $1.3 million in revenue and spending authority. The told the paper even with state reimbursement, it amounts to a net loss for the district.

“The amount of funding we’ve effectively lost appears like any other enrollment decline, and that’s much greater than $1,200 per student,” Kurth told the Gazette.

I find the parameters for the 2025-26 school year to be quite objectionable.

Not everyone should qualify for vouchers.

I'd be interested to see how many people that receive the $7,826 in taxpayer funds, actually paid that amount in state taxes as it relates specifically to their local school tax levy.

Iowa has committed nearly $180 million in taxpayer funds to support private school tuition in the 2024-25 school year, which is almost $50 million more than the initial Iowa Legislative Service Agency (LSA) projections.

Initially, the LSA projected Iowa would spend $106.9 million in the first year of Gov. Kim Reynolds’ private school voucher program—called Students First Education Savings Accounts—and $132.3 million in the second year.

However, the first year of the program cost Iowa taxpayers nearly $128 million. The Iowa Legislature allocated $179.2 million to the program for the upcoming fiscal year, according to the state’s recently approved general fund.

These amounts are only expected to increase as restrictions on who can participate in the program are rolled back.

The first year restricted access to students with a household income at or below 300% of the federal poverty guideline, but that restriction will be raised to 400% ($124,800 for a family of four) in the 2024-25 school year, before being phased out entirely in the 2025-26 school year.

Each voucher recipient will receive $7,826 in taxpayer funds to help cover private school tuition in the 2024-25 school year (the amount changes each year based on the state’s per-pupil funding). Predicated on this year’s budgeted amount, the state expects at least 22,897 students to receive a voucher.

Another big change for the upcoming 2024-25 year is that public school districts will directly lose money due to voucher program.

State funding for public schools is primarily based on enrollment weighting and state cost per pupil. Before the voucher law, districts still received those funds from the state even for students who lived in the district but did not attend a public school. Going forward, districts will no longer receive those dollars.

For every student lost to a voucher, the state will instead provide a school district $1,205 in categorical funding, meaning those dollars can’t be used in the general fund, since those funds are intended “for particular categories of students, special programs, or special purposes.”

In an interview with the Cedar Rapids Gazette, Iowa City School District Chief Financial Officer Adam Kurth estimated the district—the fourth largest in Iowa—will lose $1.3 million in revenue and spending authority. The told the paper even with state reimbursement, it amounts to a net loss for the district.

“The amount of funding we’ve effectively lost appears like any other enrollment decline, and that’s much greater than $1,200 per student,” Kurth told the Gazette.
It seems to me the money is not to support private school tuition, rather it is to support families who believe a private school education is a better choice for their child.

If tuition is less than the voucher, does a family still get the full $7826 welfare check?
Tuition less than voucher?

Private schools:
evil-laugh.gif

Tuition less than voucher?

Private schools:
evil-laugh.gif
This is likely the case at Catholic schools in smaller communities at the elementary level. I think the entire program is a disgrace, but just curious if families just get the full welfare check. I know people can pay tuition themselves and have the welfare check put into a college savings account. So in a few years the taxpayers will be paying for college for many very wealthy families. This whole thing is rotten.

I'd be interested to see how many people that receive the $7,826 in taxpayer funds, actually paid that amount in state taxes as it relates specifically to their local school tax levy.
I agree. I was never vociferous about my support but I agreed with the premise.

I was wrong. This is not a good thing at all. It's not like it would have changed my vote to a Democrat by any means. There are more important things, but I truly think this is wrong.

Last edited:
If tuition is less than the voucher, does a family still get the full $7826 welfare check?
This amount goes into an Education Savings Account. If the tuition is less than the $7,826 credot to the ESA, then the balance remains in the ESA. The ESA can grow each year, but when the student graduates from HS or turns age 20, then the remaining balance goes back to the state.

In application, elementary and middle school school tuition may be $6,000. High School may cost $14,000. An astute parent who starts in Kindergarten will be able to see the ESA grow over the years, so there is enough to cover the higher cost of high school.

Also, does the $7,826 apply per family or per student? Does a family of four students receive $31,304?

I agree. I was never vociferous about my support but I agreed with the premise.

I was wrong. This not a good thing at all. It's not like it would have changed my vote to a Democrat by any means. There are more important things, but I truly think this is wrong.

I've struggled with this new law. In spite of my issues with some of the ills of public schools, and their leftwing overlords and allies, I have huge issues with wealthy families receiving money for this.

I've struggled with this new law. In spite of my issues with some of the ills of public schools, and their leftwing overlords and allies, I have huge issues with wealthy families receiving money for this.
The biggest reason I am against it in practice is because private schools are not required to accept students. Public schools are at a disadvantage. They are required to provide free and appropriate education regardless of costs. Private schools do not have that same requirement.

Translation = The Iowa Public School system is worse than anticipated, parents are pulling their children out of the failing public schools in Iowa at a record pace.

But this should buy Governor Reynolds lots of votes and keep her in office in this republican state. AWESOME
All politicians are looking out for their own good😩

Imagine if Governor Culver and a Democratic legislature would gave proposed a grift like this?! Imagine the outrage and carbs that would have germ thrown at them by many on the right, here?

I wonder if there will ever be a day when Iowa wakes up and stops this silly grift of state tax payer monies to subsidize the rich and religious right? How low will some Iowans tolerate “public school education” in some areas to fall?

When Iowa corrects this mess, will they do it quickly or over a period of time? I’m all to ripping the band-aid off all at once. After all….”the kids will adjust”….right?

Imagine if Governor Culver and a Democratic legislature would gave proposed a grift like this?! Imagine the outrage and carbs that would have germ thrown at them by many on the right, here?

I wonder if there will ever be a day when Iowa wakes up and stops this silly grift of state tax payer monies to subsidize the rich and religious right? How low will some Iowans tolerate “public school education” in some areas to fall?

When Iowa corrects this mess, will they do it quickly or over a period of time? I’m all to ripping the band-aid off all at once. After all….”the kids will adjust”….right?
Ha ha you dolt! It is here to stay, it will never ever change.

School choice is the wave of the future, Iowa is just one of many states to jump on board this tsunami sweeping the nation for the betterment of its young.

This amount goes into an Education Savings Account. If the tuition is less than the $7,826 credot to the ESA, then the balance remains in the ESA. The ESA can grow each year, but when the student graduates from HS or turns age 20, then the remaining balance goes back to the state.

In application, elementary and middle school school tuition may be $6,000. High School may cost $14,000. An astute parent who starts in Kindergarten will be able to see the ESA grow over the years, so there is enough to cover the higher cost of high school.
You are very naive.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Ouch. I'd hate to have kids in a rural school district.
I've posted this many times, it's the rural school districts that are losing out the most under Kim Reynolds and the current legislature. The kids of Dowling and IC Regina didn't need a leg up in life, but here we are subsidizing their private schooling. Meanwhile, there are ZERO mechanisms in place to make sure fraud and waste aren't rampant, and nothing was built into the law to keep schools from simply matching up a tuition raise to meet the state funding.
This is what happens when an out of state think tank writes the legislation, and it gets jammed through with little input. Kim and the legislature crammed this through knowing it was unpopular with the people.

I've posted this many times, it's the rural school districts that are losing out the most under Kim Reynolds and the current legislature. The kids of Dowling and IC Regina didn't need a leg up in life, but here we are subsidizing their private schooling. Meanwhile, there are ZERO mechanisms in place to make sure fraud and waste aren't rampant, and nothing was built into the law to keep schools from simply matching up a tuition raise to meet the state funding.
This is what happens when an out of state think tank writes the legislation, and it gets jammed through with little input. Kim and the legislature crammed this through knowing it was unpopular with the people.
Translation = totally bogus liberal thought process

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT