ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa sets aside almost $180 million for year two of voucher program

More likely they will just have a smaller unspent balance, which isn't real money, but the district's spending authority. One less student per grade level would not provide opportunity to cut spending.

Unspent Budget Authority, also known as “Unspent Balance” is the amount of unused district General Fund capacity to spend on behalf of students, or spending authority, left over at the end of the fiscal year. This funding capacity carries forward into the next fiscal year. It is one-time capacity and may be funded with cash reserve fund balances or a cash reserve levy. The Unspent Budget Authority trend line is the most telling financial indicator school district leaders count on to inform expenditure decisions. Districts whose Unspent Budget Authority is negative are subject to workout plans and enhanced state scrutiny at a minimum; at a maximum, it can result in the closure of the district by the state board of education. The concept of Unspent Budget Authority only applies to the General Fund.
Thank you for this information. I was not aware of it.

Reactions: gohawks50
They will receive less money from the state, so they will have to cut spending or raise additional revenue from taxpayers. If they raise additional revenue from taxpayers, then those taxpayers will have less money.
More likely they will just have a smaller unspent balance, which isn't real money, but the district's spending authority. One less student per grade level would not provide opportunity to cut spending.

This. They have to pay the same number of teachers. The same number of support staff. The same building costs. The same transportation costs. There just aren't many places to cut that kind of money outside of pushing more students into a class.

Taxpayers have to approve an increase. That'll just be spun by the Republicans as another indication of "failing public schools". They make that claim and then do everything in their power to make it a reality. It'll be used as ammo to increase vouchers.

This. They have to pay the same number of teachers. The same number of support staff. The same building costs. The same transportation costs. There just aren't many places to cut that kind of money outside of pushing more students into a class.

Taxpayers have to approve an increase. That'll just be spun by the Republicans as another indication of "failing public schools". They make that claim and then do everything in their power to make it a reality. It'll be used as ammo to increase vouchers.
The other thread discussing school districts cutting their budgets supports my belief that as funding goes to private schools, then public schools will have to cut spending. time will tell.

I will close my posts on this thread by stating unequivocally I am against ESA's for all of the reasons you listed earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The other thread discussing school districts cutting their budgets supports my belief that as funding goes to private schools, then public schools will have to cut spending. time will tell.

I will close my posts on this thread by stating unequivocally I am against ESA's for all of the reasons you listed earlier.
LOL - so your argument is that funding that supports public schools means those public schools have to cut their spending? BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

The income restrictions are eventually going to be lifted correct. Then aren’t these private schools mostly public funded. This is weird territory.
Publicly funded while being able to refuse enrollment to anyone for any reason. SMH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT