ADVERTISEMENT

Flying overseas with a 2 year old…

Personally not something I’d do. The flight itself would be tough on the youngster and parents; but, I have to imagine the time change and different location would be hard on the toddler as well. Unless you have no responsible trust worthy care givers, I personally do not see the point of bringing along for this style of vacation. There will likely be many days where it doesn’t feel like a vacation at all for you or your wife.

Certainly not judging or discouraging it though; just not something I’d do.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
I wouldn’t worry about the flights, but rather what vacation you are taking to really determine if it’s worth it. We took our 2 year old years ago to the UK because I worked remote and my wife had a 2 month break between contracts so we lived abroad for 7 weeks. We also have local friends (with a toddler at the time) there so it wasn’t just us pushing a stroller and chasing a toddler on a short sightseeing trip. We had plenty of off days doing just tiny kid stuff and had a few built in babysitting day trips we could take while my wife’s friend or their sitter watched the kids.

For the record I have no issue on domestic flights. International 7-14 hour flights are a different beast and some of us have to walk off the plane and go straight to meetings on a regular basis. It’s why businesses are willing to pay 7K+ for the business class ticket in the first place. It makes a huge difference in productivity and business impact. Especially if you do it frequently.

But go ahead and justify bringing a toddler at $7K+ (or equivalent in points) for their ticket while calling me a dipshit. I, and virtually everyone else in the cabin, will continue to believe it is inconsiderate.
The likelihood of me ever flying with a toddler first class international is nil. But if somebody else wants to, that’s fine with me. If the toddler makes noise, I’ll just put on my noise cancelling headphones. Not a big deal.

And I’ll continue to believe those who are bothered with it are idiots, because they are idiots.

Why would they have to know?

1. Get 2 yr old tanked in an airport lounge/restaurant
2. When you board, place the drunk bastard over your shoulder as you board with…parents with small children
3. Once in your seat put your dead weight child in their seat while you put the carry on in the overhead compartment. Make sure there’s enough room for your drunk child.
4. Place a binky and pacifier and maybe some water in the space you left available for drunk child.
5. Since you don’t want anybody seeing you stuff drunk child in the overhead compartment…say in that “l’m whispering way too loud voice”……”oh crap, look at that fat bastard coming down the aisle, hope he doesn’t sit by me”

This locks all eyes forward for around 5 seconds.
Plenty of time to stuff drunk 2 yr old in the compartment. All you have to do from then on is to threaten to kick anybody’s ass that wants to open that compartment.

Simple.
I understand you as a person better now.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT