ADVERTISEMENT

Four hurt in accident on the Raging River ride at Adventureland.

Where did I say the local media was "with holding" information? What I said is that they did a poor job of getting and rleasing the information. They have failed here. I found out this AM from two NATIONAL networks that a "family" was involved....and not a breath of this locally. They (the local media) got out-scooped here. I never ever expected a family name....if you reread what I said, you will see it.......however the 5 W's of a n ews story are WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE and WHY.......and initially, until names were released...."a family" reference to the tragedy would have certainly been appropriate. No names.....just a generic "family"......
As far as discovering and releasing the names.....the national media apparently had no problem...they released the names before the locals did.
You got a real hard-on about this......and I could give a damn one way or the other....I just think the local media has done a bad job covering this story.
Get a life.

Just curious, how does the difference of a day or so in getting the names out matter to anyone other than the victims and their family/close friends? Does a "timely manner" matter that much to you in this instance? I am sure everyone who needed to know either knew it was or wasn't someone close to them in the accident by the end of the night. For everyone else like you, think of the family, and going from excitement and joy one minute, to losing your eleven year old son and maybe the other, and not being able to do anything about the next moment. That and the fact that they fought for awhile in the hospital before passing, c'mon man.

I don't think this is the instance to complain about some grudge you have against the local media, or to troll if that's what you are trying to do here.
This! Meaningless drivel!

I always wondered what happened with Wacky Waters. We loved going there. I think the steep slide was called Bonzai. If you waited at the bottom you’d often see the swimsuit top coming down behind the rider.
I also remember a 2 slide water park in the cedar valley as a kid. I want to say it was in Evansdale. We loved water parks as kids.
Yes it was in E’Dale.

You do that. Be sure to admit you were wrong when they don’t close down. But I won’t hold my breath that you will do so.
It could happen as referenced in a post in another thread…

Actually, it appears there were several deaths occurring in other parts of the park.

https://qctimes.com/news/local/q-c-...xt=13 at Wacky Waters when,at first," he said.

I imagine they got sued and the judgments were over their policy limits, and could not recover.

Adventureland won't close. Too many poors who can't afford a destination park.

The ride is closed and will not reopen. Even if they find the cause and fix it there could be a park closing impact if there was another fatal accident on that ride.

Won't close but especially in the season following covid this isn't going to give the owners the season they were hoping for.

Reactions: hawkcub and GOHOX69
Found the name. Marine Mountain. Our parents would drop us off there with an all day pass. You could buy a certain number of slide rides or an all day pass. I always wonder what happens to places like that after they close.
The slides are down. It’s just a grassy hill now. I went there a few times as a kid as well. I thought it was badass when I was just a little dirt scratcher.

Reactions: cubsMDdmb
The banzai was pretty damn sweet. You could get some decent air on that first drop. One of the other two were called the Daredevil and I can’t remember the third slide.

Growing up, our parents never spent money on anything, but we would go to Wacky Waters at least a couple of times a summer. Always a fun time there. It was about the time that the wave pool was added that we stopped going regularly and I was always too short/too young for the zip line.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-19-at-4.09.56-PM.png
Thunderbolt. I could wrap up in the mat, lift and spin on its first drop and get a shitload of speed going the rest of the way.

For those saying that lifted off the Banzai you were generally allowed to do it once and were warned and or kicked off.

Thunderbolt. I could wrap up in the mat, lift and spin on its first drop and get a shitload of speed going the rest of the way.

For those saying that lifted off the Banzai you were generally allowed to do it once and were warned and or kicked off.

Man, bringing up Wacky Waters brings back a lot of memories.

Reactions: lucas80
Taking it a little personal aren’t you? 😂

Like I said, probably a 50-50 prop depending on insurance outcome, litigation and possible bankruptcy.
Nope….just seeing if you are willing to own up to being wrong. But like I said….I won’t hold my breath.

One accident is not going to close the park. It just won’t.

Nope….just seeing if you are willing to own up to being wrong. But like I said….I won’t hold my breath.

Agreed on the part not closing. Matter of fact I'd guess they do just the opposite.

The raging river takes up a lot of space and was built decades before the water park. Not nearly as important for the park to have a water ride as it was when the raging river was opened.

You will see them get rid of the raging river to put it out of everyone's mind and instead utilize the space for more non water attractions.

Agreed on the part not closing. Matter of fact I'd guess they do just the opposite.

The raging river takes up a lot of space and was built decades before the water park. Not nearly as important for the park to have a water ride as it was when the raging river was opened.

You will see them get rid of the raging river to put it out of everyone's mind and instead utilize the space for more non water attractions.
The last time I was at AL, the water park area seemed to be the most popular attraction. (The one in a different area, like its own park really - whatever that is called). Especially for people living in and around the metro. That was one attraction that seems to maintain being popular despite people having visited that park before. I'm not sure if the water slides were the main piece to that popularity though - as opposed to the the more benign water related stuff.

Reactions: ghost80 and win4jj
After hearing schlitterbahn closed I was kind of assuming Adventureland would share a similar fate (especially after reading about the poor staff response).

For whatever reason I went down the Google rabbit hole today with schlitterbahn and That place was a god damn mess. The owner should’ve been charged with murder and there were 5 other rides that had to be closed. If that was the perfect storm - what I’ve heard so far about Adventureland is a little sprinkling

Haven’t been to Adventureland in over 25 years. When did the Silly Silo vanish? I never rode it, it from watching it that was a ride I have no idea how people didn’t get sick on all of the time.

50/50? Way to have a hot take making a stand bro. 😀
That’s my point! I just think anyone who says they “know” it won’t close is as ridiculous as someone who “knows” it’s going to close.

There is precedent that massive insurance claims can force theme parks to go out of business after deaths. It happened in Davenport and it’s happened in KC all within the last 20 years. It can certainly happen in Altoona.

First he said “So long Adventureland.”
Then “at least 50-50.”
Now, it’s “probably 50-50.”

Slowly walking it back.
Krantz is as well connected politically as any person in Iowa has been the past 50 years. If anyone can survive this, Krantz will. We shall see what we shall see.
It’s a crap-shoot right now. But never undervalue the importance of having good friends in high places. But, it will cost Jack some jack.

Reactions: ghost80

That’s it. I kept thinking it had a lightning reference. Well done.

Haven’t been to Adventureland in over 25 years. When did the Silly Silo vanish? I never rode it, it from watching it that was a ride I have no idea how people didn’t get sick on all of the time.
When I was a kid, my cousins and I went to Adventureland once every summer. I rode the Silly Silo countless times. Some times I would ride it 10 or 15 times in a row if the line was short. Never made me sick.

Then when I was about 30 and my kids were little I took them to Adventureland. I rode the Silly Silo one time and it thoroughly messed me up. I was completely non-functional for the rest of the day.

Without looking it up I think it was 2015 or 2016. Replaced by the big swing ride you see easily from 80. I can't think of its name off the top of my head.

When I was a kid, my cousins and I went to Adventureland once every summer. I rode the Silly Silo countless times. Some times I would ride it 10 or 15 times in a row if the line was short. Never made me sick.

Then when I was about 30 and my kids were little I took them to Adventureland. I rode the Silly Silo one time and it thoroughly messed me up. I was completely non-functional for the rest of the day.

About 7 years ago I was at Arnold's Park and my kid begged me to go on that rocket ship thing that goes upside down and spins and it almost killed me. When I got off the guy running it laughed at me.

I can do coasters still, but spinning? No no no

About 7 years ago I was at Arnold's Park and my kid begged me to go on that rocket ship thing that goes upside down and spins and it almost killed me. When I got off the guy running it laughed at me.

I can do coasters still, but spinning? No no no
Same here. I still love rollercoasters. The higher and faster, the better. But spinning messes me up.

Haven't read the whole thread so siap but I was really surprised to still see commercials for Adventureland on TV still with the raging river ride on it. I figured they'd pull them or at least get rid of that ride in them.

Speaking of owning up to being wrong, I won't hold my breath.

Depression is guaranteed. You don’t just shut the world down for several weeks and not expect devastation.

We are screwed for a decade or more.

30% or higher unemployment is likely. Better prepare for the depression that is coming.

We are heading for a significant economic Depression if this shutdown lasts past May 1. It might already be too late.

The longer this goes on, the worse (and longer lasting) the economic devastation will be. If things stay locked down into June a depression is pretty much a given.

I guess you are in the group that favors destroying the economy and plunging us into a depression.

I would say June 1 to avoid a depression, if it’s not already too late.

• Haha
Reactions: lucas80 and torbee
Did some digging because the reporting on this has been subpar. Strangely national news has more information about it than the local news which is just weird.

The ride was inspected less than a week before it opened and passed with no issues and 20 seconds after the family entered the river the ride flipped upside down. The seatbelts locked them in place and they couldn't get out. Interesting detail I only found in the national reports was that the raft has 8 floats full of air to keep the raft afloat and one of them was deflated/popped.

That zip line at WW was nuts. About 3/4 of the way down it would suddenly stop and if you were still hanging on, the momentum would cause you to flip several times before hitting the water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT