ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Four-star CB Julius Brents discusses Iowa visit

Apr 8, 2003
Four-star CB discusses Iowa visit
Blair Sanderson | Editor

dg2ssfyqmptwauwngvgn

Four-star cornerback Julius Brents made another visit to Iowa this weekend.

Four-star cornerback Julius Brents was back in Iowa City this weekend for his third visit with the Hawkeyes. For the 6-foot-2, 179-pound Indianapolis native, it was an opportunity to spend more time around the coaches and players as he continues to consider Iowa’s offer. We caught up with Brents afterwards to discuss the visit, the latest on his recruiting, when he might decide, and much more.

Q: First of all, can you kind of take us through what all you got to do at Iowa this weekend?

BRENTS: Yesterday, we toured the campus, saw the athletic facilities, talked with the head academic advisor, and then had a meeting with Coach Ferentz and Coach Parker, the defensive backs coach.

Q: Then last night you were hanging out with some of the players?

BRENTS: Yeah. They had a little block party downtown, right in the heart of Iowa City, so I went there with Josh (Jackson) and Miles Taylor and some of the other players. We had a good time.

Q: Was that an important part of this visit just to see how you might fit in?

BRENTS: Oh yeah, absolutely. That’s a very important thing when you visit just to make sure you’re welcomed and make sure you’re around genuinely good people, so it was good to get around the players and see how they interact and just the whole environment of Iowa City.

Q: You have been to Iowa a couple times before. What stood out about this visit as far as what was different or what you got to see more of this time?

BRENTS: I’ve always had good meetings with the coaches every time I come, but this time I got to be around the players more. That had a big impact on me, just being able to talk with them and getting to see Iowa City. Just getting their take on the whole thing, that’s what stood out.

Q: Was it your mom that went with you this time? Had she been there before?

BRENTS: This was her first visit. I think she had a pretty good time.

Q: Is that another important factor on your college visits, just to show your family where you might be spending the next four years?

BRENTS: Oh, absolutely. She’s an important part of the recruiting process too. At the end of the day, it’s my decision, but I definitely want her and my dad to be a part of it, so it was good to finally get her on campus on my third time there.

Q: Sitting down with the coaches, how do they see you fitting in if you were to go there?

BRENTS: They want me to come in and make an impact as soon as possible. They’re kind of low on DB’s right now, so they’re taking three this year and I’m one of their top ones. They want someone to come in and get to work and try to get on the field.

Q: Is that at corner mostly or could it be safety too?

BRENTS: It could be either one. There’s a possibility of me playing either safety or corner.

Q: They are taking three defensive backs and already have one committed.

BRENTS: Yep.

Q: Where does Iowa stand right now, in your mind, after leaving there today?

BRENTS: Iowa is my top five and pretty high on my list right now, especially after this visit. I was able to get a better feel for everything, so right now they’re pretty high on my list.

Q: Where do you go from here recruiting wise? Are there more visits coming up in July?

BRENTS: Yeah, I plan on taking two more visits and probably wrapping it up after that. I’m going to Michigan State on the 10th of July and then Alabama on the 22nd. After that, I’ll probably wrap it up visit wise and try to come up with a decision by mid-season.

Q: What’s Alabama’s interest been recently?

BRENTS: A couple months ago, one of their coaches came by my school and has been wanting to get me and one of my teammates, David Bell, on campus for a while now. We just haven’t had a chance to get there yet, but told them we’d make it in July for a visit and go from there.

Q: When you look back at the spring you had, really emerging at some of the different camps and combines, what do you think you did to stand out?

BRENTS: Just my mobility I think. Longer corners are normally kind of stiff and I showed that I have good hips, good feet, and can use my length to my advantage. I can win a lot of battles that way. I think my speed surprised a lot of people too.

Q: Is it kind of funny to you because you’ve been the same player all along?

BRENTS: Oh, absolutely. I’ve always been like that. Last year, I had an ankle injury that kind of set me back, but now everybody is seeing the type of player I am, so it’s picked back up.

Q: Looking ahead to your decision this fall, what are the main factors when you go to decide?

BRENTS: Most importantly, academics. My mom is huge on academics. She wants me to get a good education, so academics are number one. Two, I would say my role as far as if I could come in and play and what my role would be on the team. Then lastly, my relationship with the coaching staff and the vibe I get from them. That would be the main three things for me.

Q: What are you interested in studying in college?

BRENTS: I plan on going into the sports medicine field.

A four-star prospect, Brents is currently considering scholarship offers from Iowa, Michigan State, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, and Indiana, among others.

See highlights from Brents' junior year at Indianapolis Warren Central in the video below.

Reactions: rallen1960
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.