ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Reporter Admits to Making Up Quotes

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Well, a Fox Sports reporter. And, she's hot... so...

The Washington Post reports:

Charissa Thompson of Fox Sports and Amazon Prime’s “Thursday Night Football” garnered criticism Thursday when a clip went viral in which she admitted to inventing quotes from coaches while working as a sideline reporter.
“I’ve said this before, so I haven’t been fired for saying it, but I’ll say it again. I would make up the report sometimes,” Thompson said in a recent interview on “Pardon My Take,” “because, A, the coach wouldn’t come out at halftime, or it was too late and I didn’t want to screw up the report, so I was like, ‘I’m just going to make this up.’”
Thompson, 41, added that she assumed that “no coach is going to get mad” if she misled viewers into thinking they had simply voiced some well-worn clichés, such as, “Hey, we need to stop hurting ourselves, we need to be better on third down, we need to stop turning the ball over and do a better job of getting off the field.”

Reactions: lucas80
wood satisfying GIF

Man, all other sideline reporters have been piling on her for this.

I'll be curious if Charissa gets taken off sideline assignments for the season - also anticipate the ones calling the games from the booth to really go over the top and compliment the other sideline reporters.

Does anyone actually listen to these sideline interviews? It is the most useless position in all broadcasting.
Other than occasional injury updates, I don’t think we’ve ever learned anything from a sideline reporter. Most of the information they provide can be filed under “Yeah, no shit.”

Team A gives up 3 passing touchdowns in the first half. Head Coach of Team A, to sideline reporter as he’s heading toward the locker room at halftime: “We need to tighten up our pass defense.”

Man, all other sideline reporters have been piling on her for this.

I'll be curious if Charissa gets taken off sideline assignments for the season - also anticipate the ones calling the games from the booth to really go over the top and compliment the other sideline reporters.
She hosts for Amazon right now, no sideline reports anymore...pretty sure. She also was one who had her phone hacked when it was happening to a bunch of celebrities.

Reactions: NoleATL
When I was a student I was in the front row for an Iowa game once. Charissa was the sideline reporter for that game, I wonder if she was making stuff up then...

Does anyone actually listen to these sideline interviews? It is the most useless position in all broadcasting.
She even said that the quotes she makes up are generic fluff shit that no one would disagree with and can be easily ignored. "We need to be better at getting to the quarterback" "we need to be better at holding onto the ball."

On the scale of making shit up, this is like.. very, very white lie.

Other than occasional injury updates, I don’t think we’ve ever learned anything from a sideline reporter. Most of the information they provide can be filed under “Yeah, no shit.”

Team A gives up 3 passing touchdowns in the first half. Head Coach of Team A, to sideline reporter as he’s heading toward the locker room at halftime: “We need to tighten up our pass defense.”
For sure, and even the stuff she makes up can be filed under vague "yeah no shit."

I think of all the things to be cancelled for, this is the weakest.

Reactions: TJ8869
For sure, and even the stuff she makes up can be filed under vague "yeah no shit."

I think of all the things to be cancelled for, this is the weakest.
And it sounds like that’s the basis of her defense. She made up vague quotes that, even if the coach didn’t actually say to her, they would have said it if she had a chance to talk to them.

She’s been doing this job for about 17 years now. She has interviewed many of these coaches dozens of times each. You don’t have to be Kreskin to know that if Iowa is trailing 7-3 at halftime, Kirk Ferentz is going to say we need to clean some things up in the second half.

My 4A high school team was undefeated going into late October, so we got a lot of press.

Our QB was interviewed for the local paper almost every week. Every week he would read his “quotes”, laugh, and say “I never said ANY of that!”

She even said that the quotes she makes up are generic fluff shit that no one would disagree with and can be easily ignored. "We need to be better at getting to the quarterback" "we need to be better at holding onto the ball."

What's race got to do with it, bigot?

• Haha
Reactions: auntie_fah
I’m mildly amused by the other sideline reporters calling her out for not upholding their professional standards.

“We spend years building trust with these coaches.”

Look, you’re not an Army intelligence officer trying to gain the confidence of the locals so you can get intel on the enemy. You have breasts and the coach just told you his offensive line needs to do a better job of protecting the quarterback.

Just cash your check and be thankful for good genes.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

Doesn't matter. It's rule #1 taught the first day.

My 4A high school team was undefeated going into late October, so we got a lot of press.

Our QB was interviewed for the local paper almost every week. Every week he would read his “quotes”, laugh, and say “I never said ANY of that!”
I cover high school sports for the local paper as a side gig. I will change the quote, every so often, to make it sound more appropriate or cohesive, but I've never completely embellished a quote or interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT