ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Sports Post Game

Wow, Reggie Bush and Matt Leinert just couldnt really give Iowa credit. They kept pointing out missed opportunities by Minny and that they had more yards, yadda yadda yadda. They seemed perturbed that Minnesota LOST the game versus reality that Iowa WON.

Luckily, Urban stepped in and they reminded that he picked Iowa to win, and he pointed out that Iowa was likely a better team than Minnesota and certainly played better today and that they should get the credit.

Its not like Iowa did not have opportunities, my goodness those early bombs to ISM (one long and one short) as well as two dropped INT's just to name a few.

And the USC dolts should understand that Iowa does give up yards in many cases, its the bend dont break. #researchishard

Well we did dodge a lot of bullets and get out-gained

Have you forgotten all the bullets Minnesota dodged? Good lord.

I normally like this show. They are usually pretty fair in their analysis. However, Reggie and Matt seemed but hurt by Iowa winning and were making excuse after excuse. Urban Meyer looked annoyed with them.

Last edited:
Every time the analysts talk about an Iowa game, Urban always seems to have that 'they kicked my ass the last time I played them' look on his face just waiting for his chance to talk. You can tell that Meyer respects the program and respects KF alot! I really like his analysis actually and it still seems awkward when he has to say something nice about Michigan.

Urban Meyer understands the Big Ten and
has some insights because he coached in it.
Iowa Hawkeye football is always downplayed
by the West Coast elites.

Well in fairness, Iowa has not shown much whenever it traveled to the West Coast. The west coast game is about tempo and spacing. They have used that to expose Iowa in the few trips Iowa has made out there in my forty years of watching them. We tend to defend the system of football we were indoctrinated into. I was taught power I triple option and 5-2 defense. I still love that style and believe it CAN still be employed successfully (not the 5-2, although the 3-4 isn't that far removed from it). I doubt many west coast teams have a FB on their rosters and rarely use a huddle or even take a direct snap from center.
I h
I truly appreciate Urban in his current role. He brings a lot of perspective and reason to the table. And Bush is a major-league tool.

Some valid points by those pundits, but obviously failing to assess the entire game coherently. Iowa gives up a lot of yards against good teams, quite often. That's part of Parker's basic philosophy; keep everything in front of you. Sometimes it bites them, sometimes it works. Against minny, it worked. That's the bottom line.

Reactions: papabeef
Total yards never matters. Reggie and Matt should know that the ONLY stat that matters in ANY sport is the final score. Period. End of story. Heck, Iowa shouldn't have lost a game in the last two seasons. Instead, they lost 7 of 8. Iowa may have even outgained a few of those teams they lost to, but it does not matter.

How many bullets did Wisconsin dodge the last two years against Iowa? How about Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan?

One classic example of this foolishness goes way back to the Bob Commings era at Iowa. The Hawkeyes played USC at the Colisseum and finished with double the yardage of USC, but USC won something like 42-7. USC TWICE snagged Iowa fumbles inside the USC five yard line in mid-air and returned BOTH over 90 yards for touchdowns. Iowa moved the ball up and down the field, but USC won the game easily despite Iowa doubling the Trojans in total yardage.

:D
Total yards never matters. Reggie and Matt should know that the ONLY stat that matters in ANY sport is the final score. Period. End of story. Heck, Iowa shouldn't have lost a game in the last two seasons. Instead, they lost 7 of 8. Iowa may have even outgained a few of those teams they lost to, but it does not matter.

How many bullets did Wisconsin dodge the last two years against Iowa? How about Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan?

One classic example of this foolishness goes way back to the Bob Commings era at Iowa. The Hawkeyes played USC at the Colisseum and finished with double the yardage of USC, but USC won something like 42-7. USC TWICE snagged Iowa fumbles inside the USC five yard line in mid-air and returned BOTH over 90 yards for touchdowns. Iowa moved the ball up and down the field, but USC won the game easily despite Iowa doubling the Trojans in total yardage.
So you're saying USC dodged bullets that day? Sad that a team playing a Commings coached Iowa team had to dodge bullets:D

Reactions: kceasthawk
The conservative... chicken $### 2nd half almost lost the game. Grow a freaking set and keep the foot on the pedal.
What a loser.

seriously,beyond the obvious of yds, what was noticeably different. Was it the attempted reverse, was it the run pass ratio? No.

it was two less possessions, and a D that was content keeping everything in front= ToP and play counts.

the shallowness of some of you in your analysis is just awesome

Have you forgotten all the bullets Minnesota dodged? Good lord.

I normally like this show. They are usually pretty fair in their analysis. However, Reggie and Matt seemed but hurt by Iowa winning and were making excuse after excuse. Urban Meyer looked annoyed with them.
I wouldn't say butthurt, but they were definitely trying to pander to a certain narrative because Minnesota was the highly ranked team and nobody wants to see boring Iowa be talked about, and yes it did annoy Urban.

Wow, Reggie Bush and Matt Leinert just couldnt really give Iowa credit. They kept pointing out missed opportunities by Minny and that they had more yards, yadda yadda yadda. They seemed perturbed that Minnesota LOST the game versus reality that Iowa WON.

Luckily, Urban stepped in and they reminded that he picked Iowa to win, and he pointed out that Iowa was likely a better team than Minnesota and certainly played better today and that they should get the credit.

Its not like Iowa did not have opportunities, my goodness those early bombs to ISM (one long and one short) as well as two dropped INT's just to name a few.

And the USC dolts should understand that Iowa does give up yards in many cases, its the bend dont break. #researchishard

When somebody implied Minnesota wasn’t ready to play, Urban stepped in saying that he saw a well prepared Minnesota team that played hard all day, but sometimes you get beat by a better team.

The conservative... chicken $### 2nd half almost lost the game. Grow a freaking set and keep the foot on the pedal.

I’m sure you realize we had essentially 3 possessions in the second half to work with? We netted a FG on one and on another took a shot downfield that would have been first and 10 at the 19 but the awesome layout catch by ISM was overturned (I hope it was an obvious overturn because the replay we saw in the stadium I did not see a drop). That drive would have been at least 3 points and if it had been 7 we would have ended the game. After the ISM overturn we gave up a QB sack and ended up punting. We dang near scored on 2 of 3 possessions so that’s playing chicken bleep in your mind??

The final two possessions after those 3 possessions were running out clock / taking a knee.

Never mind our D was not forcing any 3 and outs and giving up a lot of yards and time of possession. The D did a heck of job too limiting scores despite yards and TOP. Are fans that stupid to think that bend but don’t break D does not limit your own offense too?

Good win for the Hawks. 69 second half yards will not cut it moving forward.

Not having Goodson for awhile hurt. He was a bit of the X factor as Minnesota did not really have an answer for him. With him in the line up it makes the defense have to watch much closer and it opens up things.

What a loser.

seriously,beyond the obvious of yds, what was noticeably different. Was it the attempted reverse, was it the run pass ratio? No.

it was two less possessions, and a D that was content keeping everything in front= ToP and play counts.

the shallowness of some of you in your analysis is just awesome

My statement was shitty... give you that. I am far from a loser. The problem was they weren't keeping things in front on D.

Ecstatic for the win, but these close games are tough.

I’m sure you realize we had essentially 3 possessions in the second half to work with? We netted a FG on one and on another took a shot downfield that would have been first and 10 at the 19 but the awesome layout catch by ISM was overturned (I hope it was an obvious overturn because the replay we saw in the stadium I did not see a drop). That drive would have been at least 3 points and if it had been 7 we would have ended the game. After the ISM overturn we gave up a QB sack and ended up punting. We dang near scored on 2 of 3 possessions so that’s playing chicken bleep in your mind??

The final two possessions after those 3 possessions were running out clock / taking a knee.

Never mind our D was not forcing any 3 and outs and giving up a lot of yards and time of possession. The D did a heck of job too limiting scores despite yards and TOP. Are fans that stupid to think that bend but don’t break D does not limit your own offense too?

It was target practice... just way to much time in the pocket. I get my comment was shitty.

More about their adjustments and getting behind the chains early....Also Nate gets scrunched up a bit when things get tight..... Yes we need to be able to run the ball better, I personally would have used Toren Young more in the 2nd half especially late.But we're all All American Monday Morning Coaches.

When somebody implied Minnesota wasn’t ready to play, Urban stepped in saying that he saw a well prepared Minnesota team that played hard all day, but sometimes you get beat by a better team.

Exactly.

Saying that they had a let down game is just the easy/lazy thing to say. Trying to somehow make reality fit into their logic

Reactions: AlvySinger
The guy who really came off bad in my opinion was Kirk Herbstreit. During the Baylor/ Oklahoma telecast he was talking about the Iowa upset of Minnesota and talked about turnovers and other comments. It was clear to me he never watched the game and had no idea what he was talking about. Probably had a producer talking in his ear who was a journalism grad from Syracuse or Northwestern who read a recap on Yahoo.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Urban Meyer understands the Big Ten and
has some insights because he coached in it.
Iowa Hawkeye football is always downplayed
by the West Coast elites.

West Coast elites ?

please. Doesn’t matter what coast they are from. You are just another insecure Iowa fan.
Did Colin Cowherd weight today? What coast is he from ?
iowa had a nice win to end Minny’s win streak.

Reactions: JStandefer
It was target practice... just way to much time in the pocket. I get my comment was shitty.

No worries. I just think what gets lost sometimes in our offensive expectations is our bend-but-don’t break style of D (which I agree with), making teams execute 8-14 play drives to score also limits the number of possessions we get offensively too especially when we don’t get those quick 3 and outs.

Full disclosure I thought we lost the game when we punted on 4th and 5 at the end of game (unable to get 1 first down). I fully expected Minnesota to drive the field and score a game winning TD as we’ve experienced this many times before. There’s another thread on this exact topic already but if we want to be critical of anything I think the last possession at the end of each half is where the questioning can focus on. Our inability to move the ball and/or pick up a first down in those situations is huge BUT I will say as soon as we are aggressive there and turn the ball over yielding points there will be hindsight the other way that we should have played it conservative. Hindsight is always the perfect factor. The great thing is our D went out for once and got a big stop last night!

Reactions: AlvySinger
Well in fairness, Iowa has not shown much whenever it traveled to the West Coast. The west coast game is about tempo and spacing. They have used that to expose Iowa in the few trips Iowa has made out there in my forty years of watching them. We tend to defend the system of football we were indoctrinated into. I was taught power I triple option and 5-2 defense. I still love that style and believe it CAN still be employed successfully (not the 5-2, although the 3-4 isn't that far removed from it). I doubt many west coast teams have a FB on their rosters and rarely use a huddle or even take a direct snap from center.
I h
I truly appreciate Urban in his current role. He brings a lot of perspective and reason to the table. And Bush is a major-league tool.
No doubt. Maybe Meyer should ask Reg if his folks still live in the house USC gave them to live in when he chose the trojans?

Reactions: grayhair81

I'm sure he realizes it, it just doesn't fit the narrative, that some "FANS" have to come here to bitch about something win or loose, so if there's nothing major to bitch about they just make up shit. Other then a few mistakes on both sides of the ball, mostly by young players, (whom most fans have been clamoring for), the Hawks played a pretty damn solid 60 minutes of football, against a very solid ranked team. Pretty solid job coaching as well, in both prep for the contest and during the game as well. Having anything MAJOR to bitch about from this game, only shows the true colors of those who just have to dig up something.....

Reactions: And1Hawk
I’m sure you realize we had essentially 3 possessions in the second half to work with? We netted a FG on one and on another took a shot downfield that would have been first and 10 at the 19 but the awesome layout catch by ISM was overturned (I hope it was an obvious overturn because the replay we saw in the stadium I did not see a drop). That drive would have been at least 3 points and if it had been 7 we would have ended the game. After the ISM overturn we gave up a QB sack and ended up punting

Watching replay on TV, the ball slipped between his arms and hit the ground as ISM fell. Only replay would show incomplete as live it looked like a great catch.

The Minnesota QB was lobbing wounded ducks all day but their receivers are used to it and able to make plays. We should have had at least 2 more interceptions or breakups. Those 50/50 balls kept the goofers in the game nothing else

As a sports analyst, you are really just looking for ways to make certain outcomes make sense. As long as there's a plausible explanation/narrative you can deliver, that's all you need to do. It doesn't even need to be right. This is why we get so many TV analysts talking in cliches and repeating generic tropes that have been debunked by statistical analysis.

In this scenario, Reggie and the others assumed Minnesota should win because they were ranked higher and had a better record, but they hedged their analysis before the game by saying that Minnesota might be unfocused coming off such an emotional win last week. Given that they each have just a couple minutes to talk about the game, that's an easier path than trying to research or explain how on earth a team that is 6-3 and ranked #20 could possibly be better than a team that is 9-0 and ranked #8. It fit a plausible narrative that Minnesota simply had a let down. However, I don't think that's right, and neither did Urban. Iowa simply outplayed Minnesota, and we'd probably win again if they played next week.

Reactions: grayhair81
They wouldn't have even had an opportunity to drop that 4th down pass if we had made the EASY interception. As the announcer said "it doesn't get any easier than that." We make that and we likely are in MN territory with a chance to drive a dagger home.
Koerner was obviously giving it all he had and nobody wanted to make that pick more than he did, but that drop was a huge game-changer indeed. He likely returns it to about the MN 20 or 30, setting us up for a potential dagger, for sure. Still baffled that he dropped it — and actually misjudged it so badly that he barely even touched the ball. Almost seemed like he might have lost it in the lights. In any case, obviously a massive bullet dodged there by the Goofs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT