ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Lester, my thoughts, FWIW

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
No one knows really what transpired during this process but Rob Howe was the only one mentioning Lester on Friday.

In-person interviews can really sway a decision as well as references. No one knows how Lester vs. Johns' interviewed with coach Ferentz and how they interacted with the coaching staff. Kirk said early on, that chemistry with the other coaches was critical for him. Members of the staff may have liked Lester better. Lester may have been better prepared for his interview, I would have watched game tape and come in with solutions to fix Iowa's shortfalls. No one knows.

Lester was a heck of a QB in college (close to 12,000 yards passing) and had solid offensive numbers at WMU (he called most of the plays). When he was at WMU, defense let him down. Something he won't have to worry about as OC at Iowa. He replaced Fleck at WMU who pulled his best players with him to Minny, which left holes in the roster.

I for one, am willing to give him time to turn things around. Bottom line, he has to better better than Brian.

There will most certainly be naysayers on this board. But some of them wouldn't have been happy with Mike Shanahan.

No one knows really what transpired during this process but Rob Howe was the only one mentioning Lester on Friday.

In-person interviews can really sway a decision as well as references. No one knows how Lester vs. Johns' interviewed with coach Ferentz and how they interacted with the coaching staff. Kirk said early on, that chemistry with the other coaches was critical for him. Members of the staff may have liked Lester better. Lester may have been better prepared for his interview, I would have watched game tape and come in with solutions to fix Iowa's shortfalls. No one knows.

Lester was a heck of a QB in college (close to 12,000 yards passing) and had solid offensive numbers at WMU (he called most of the plays). When he was at WMU, defense let him down. Something he won't have to worry about as OC at Iowa. He replaced Fleck at WMU who pulled his best players with him to Minny, which left holes in the roster.

I for one, am willing to give him time to turn things around. Bottom line, he has to better better than Brian.

There will most certainly be naysayers on this board. But some of them wouldn't have been happy with Mike Shanahan.
Both Doc and Kakert were alluding to Lester as well Friday and yesterday. No one wanted to believe it.

And he did not have “solid” offensive numbers at WMU.

Offensive efficiency rankings WMU

2022 118
2021 76
2020 31
2019 78
2018 99
2017 83

So the only time he cracked the 55th percentile was the COVID year.

I can appreciate your optimism and hope it works out but this is a grossly underwhelming hire on paper.

@TheTruthTheWholeTruth ?

Well yeah QB experience is a good deal. Heaven knows we suck at that part. Maybe he works out

Good post. I hope this works out. I don't trust Kirk's judgement at all after the last part of the season, but am always giving him the benefit of a dought. Ugh. Just ugh.

I appreciate the positive post, but I am digging deep this morning to even be somewhat excited about this hire... 🤔

Both Doc and Kakert were alluding to Lester as well Friday and yesterday. No one wanted to believe it.

2022 118
2021 76
2020 31
2019 78
2018 99
2017 83

I can appreciate your optimism and hope it works out but this is a grossly underwhelming hire on paper.
If he finishes somewhere between 31 and 83 next year at Iowa, we should be thrilled with the hire.

So how is his recruiting? You better get the Jimmy and Joes in today's world. I have no idea what offense he is going to run.

giphy.gif

I’ve Always been a KF fan. Don’t always agree with what he’s done but I’ve at least been able to understand his perspective. And I also appreciate the optimism Gunner. I also hope it works out. And maybe it will!! But If it does, im inclined to think it will be because of blind luck rather than because KF did a good job in this process.

In this situation, you have to either pick a proven commodity or an up-and-commer with a high ceiling. KF did NEITHER and instead went with a retread that MIGHT work out or he might be horrible. Essentially a coin flip so we’re left with “hoping” rather than true belief it will work well.

I’ve Always been a KF fan. Don’t always agree with what he’s done but I’ve at least been able to understand his perspective. And I also appreciate the optimism Gunner. I also hope it works out. And maybe it will!! But If it does, im inclined to think it will be because of blind luck rather than because KF did a good job in this process.

In this situation, you have to either pick a proven commodity or an up-and-commer with a high ceiling. KF did NEITHER and instead went with a retread that MIGHT work out or he might be horrible. Essentially a coin flip so we’re left with “hoping” rather than true belief it will work well.
Good post. My sentiments exactly.

Like I said, the 31st ranking was the COVID year which looks like an extreme outlier. But yes, I will agree. If by some miracle we get a top 50 or even 75 offense next year I will consider it a success in year one.
Yeah, we don't have any say on the matter and it's at least a step, albeit small, in the right direction because we had to move on from BF. I'm hoping that it turns out well but it's me being very, very cautious about it at the same time. It definitely doesn't excite me but I never expected the hire to do that anyway honestly.

Like I said, the 31st ranking was the COVID year which looks like an extreme outlier. But yes, I will agree. If by some miracle we get a top 50 or even 75 offense next year I will consider it a success in year one.
I don’t think we sniff the top 75

Kirk’s style makes that near impossible, but KOK managed it a couple of times. So it can happen

But

The talent on offense right now is not there for a high powered offense. Assuming there is SOME scheme changes, there will be some growing pains

Tho if the changes are to get rid of the QB and WR having to make all the reads then maybe the offense plays looser

I think expectations should be upper 90s to low 100s

Take that one out, then. If we finish somewhere between 76 and 83 next year, we should be thrilled.
Just getting into the 90s would at least get us out of the tail and into the bell of the bell curve. 90s would still mean 3 or 4 games of painfully ineffective offense, 2 pretty good games, and the rest passable. I would sign up for that at this point.

Reactions: HawkPT
The athletic said that his offense ranked in the top 35 nationally from 2018 - 21. FWIW. Not going to dig for the numbers.

2022 118
2021 76
2020 31
2019 78
2018 99
2017 83

As were the Norm Parker and Joe Philbin hires by Kirk initially. I really think this decision is grossly over played by many here. Kirk’s offensive problems have been in the making for 3 years now....recruits that haven’t worked out on the o-line and really bad QB recruiting.
One thing I have changed my mind on over the years is that most of these coaches and assistants know a helluva lot more about football than I....and honestly, all things being equal, execution is more important than strategy. Football is about “fits” as much as anything. I wish the Hawks good luck this season.

Who did PJ take with him? Player wise

Reactions: Bierhalter
2014-15 Syracuse Offense had 1 snap cadence and defenses knew exactly when the snap was coming under this Guy because They couldn't keep from jumping, There are articles out there and this Guy Syracuse fans still crucify , He is the Iowa OC . Glad You are optimistic

I love ya Gunner but “he was a heck of a QB in college”? I am focused on….
-he was let go at Western Mich
- he had to vacate wins at another school for scholarship issues
- he only had a job at GB as someone did him a favor
- he had resigned himself to be the OC at Troy ( maybe KF was worried about the opener next year…jk)

We will see how it shakes out BUT if we find out that John’s turned us down due to KFs command and control bs, let the countdown to his release commence. He did this on purpose in my opinion.

Good post. Thank you for sharing.

On paper, this is absolutely not a good hire, especially relative to other options. It’s my belief that KF missed an opportunity.

But at the end of the day, we won’t know if it works out until this fall. I am hoping for the best. But if not, I figure things will work out one way or another.

I love ya Gunner but “he was a heck of a QB in college”? I am focused on….
-he was let go at Western Mich
- he had to vacate wins at another school for scholarship issues
- he only had a job at GB as someone did him a favor
- he had resigned himself to be the OC at Troy ( maybe KF was worried about the opener next year…jk)

We will see how it shakes out BUT if we find out that John’s turned us down due to KFs command and control bs, let the countdown to his release commence. He did this on purpose in my opinion.
Yep! Both Kirk and Fran are here at UIowa primarily to piss of the fan base! Many here have a secret desire to see the female AD come in and kick ass! If the baby goes out with the bath water, so be it!

Reactions: pmtdc
lol, op would defend Kirk if he saw him shoot someone on 5th avenue. Your pie in the sky opinion is worthless. And yes, I’m aware I took time to post in your thread.
Nope, I have not been supportive of Brian as OC for several years. With that said, even with that handicap the Hawks have been a top 25 team the last 5-6 years. Kirk knows how to win.

Glad I could supply you with some angst today.

As were the Norm Parker and Joe Philbin hires by Kirk initially. I really think this decision is grossly over played by many here. Kirk’s offensive problems have been in the making for 3 years now....recruits that haven’t worked out on the o-line and really bad QB recruiting.
One thing I have changed my mind on over the years is that most of these coaches and assistants know a helluva lot more about football than I....and honestly, all things being equal, execution is more important than strategy. Football is about “fits” as much as anything. I wish the Hawks good luck this season.
Their inability to develop QBs and WRs drops their acumen to our level.

I don't remember anybody being underwhelmed by the Norm Parker hire. In fact, he was the only non Iowa guy anybody knew and that had worked in P5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT