ADVERTISEMENT

Fran contract extension

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery has signed a four-year extension to his current contract. The agreement was announced today by Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta.

McCaffery is now signed through the 2027-28 competitive season. His base salary remains unchanged for the next two seasons, however there is a longevity bonus at the end of the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons. His annual salary will increase each of the last five years. If 25 percent or more of a season is not able to be played (pandemic), the base salary will be reduced by 10 percent.

“I am excited to announce the extension of Fran’s contract,” said Barta. “He’s earned it. He’s built a strong foundation upon which we can continue to build for years to come. We originally planned to provide the extension at the end of last season, but paused due to the pandemic. I’ve appreciated Fran’s patience through it all.

“To say Fran, Margaret, and the McCaffery Family have embraced Iowa and Hawkeye Athletics is certainly an understatement. They have been actively involved across the state and within the local community in so many ways over the past decade. It is truly a family affair.”

McCaffery has guided the nationally-ranked Hawkeyes to a 21-8 regular season record and a third-place finish in the Big Ten with a 14-6 league mark in 2020-21. Iowa has been ranked inside the Top 15 of the Associated Press Poll every week this season, including No. 5 on March 9. He has guided Iowa to first-division finishes in eight of the last nine seasons and 20 wins or more in seven of the last nine seasons. McCaffery will coach the Hawkeyes in the NCAA Tournament for the fifth time in the last seven completed seasons. He is Iowa’s second all-time winningest coach with 215 overall wins and 103 Big Ten victories.

McCaffery continues to create interest with recruits on a national level due to his tireless work ethic. He recruited and coached two-time Sporting News National Player of the Year and Big Ten Player of the Year, Luka Garza. He has coached a first-team All-Big Ten honoree in five of the last seven seasons (Devyn Marble, 2014; Aaron White, 2015; Jarrod Uthoff, 2016; Peter Jok, 2017; and Luka Garza, 2020-21), the most over a seven-year span since 1956-62.

“I am grateful to Gary Barta and President Bruce Harreld for their continued support,” said McCaffery. “It truly is an honor to represent the University of Iowa and coach the tremendous young men in our program. I am proud of what our team accomplished during the regular season, and we are eager to compete for a national championship this month.”

Second-seeded Iowa (21-8) will begin NCAA Tournament play on Saturday against No. 15 seed Grand Canyon (17-6). Tipoff is scheduled for approximately 5:25 p.m. (CT) at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum. The game will be televised nationally on TBS.

Not sure, but this extension was a great move.
Agreed. It can be frustrating at times as a fan to not understand rotation decisions or disagreeing with defensive strategies, etc., but I really appreciate what Fran has done with the program. Grateful that I can actually expect us to win and be disappointed if we don’t after feeling apathetic and expecting to lose for years.

Wasn’t sure I’d ever see the day where Iowa would be relevant in the B1G title race again and certainly not ranked in the Top 10 for nearly an entire season after Lick tanked us to the bottom.

anything about that statue?
That only covers 2 legs of the stool. (Raise, extension):
His base salary remains unchanged for the next two seasons, however there is a longevity bonus at the end of the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons. His annual salary will increase each of the last five years.
What about the LB and Statue? Bobblehead is nice but it's too inadequate. How do you want it? Granite or Bronze? :p

Let’s him coach his youngest son at Iowa.
This very well could be one of his motivating factors. Even if Fran sustains this recent success and Iowa has multiple deep NCAA runs over the next 5-6 years, you have to wonder how much longer Fran wants to stay in the coaching game. 2027 will nearly be two decades in Iowa City as he ticks near 70. His son Jack *projects* to be as good if not better than Patrick and Connor were as HS prospects, so maybe that will be Fran's last hurrah. Jack would be recruiting class of 2025?

This very well could be one of his motivating factors. Even if Fran sustains this recent success and Iowa has multiple deep NCAA runs over the next 5-6 years, you have to wonder how much longer Fran wants to stay in the coaching game. 2027 will nearly be two decades in Iowa City as he ticks near 70. His son Jack *projects* to be as good if not better than Patrick and Connor were as HS prospects, so maybe that will be Fran's last hurrah. Jack would be recruiting class of 2025?
Sustains recent success?

Why did this need to happen now? Seems like you could have waited until after the season at this point. Way to give up your hand for applying a little pressure for the NCAA's Gary.

Pretty sure it has a lot to do with the Univ about to hire a new president. Wanted to get this done before that happens (end of March I believe is the target, but could happen at any time if they find the right person).

These things have to be ok'd by the president and who knows if the new person would give the thumbs up. Who know if they will even keep Barta?

Why? He wasn't going anywhere and he has still accomplished very little without Garza....it would be fine if the next 2 seasons are okay but that's a huge if. Just dont think it was necessary right now, still a decent chance the program is sweet 16 less in a week

Iowa would have won March Madness last year if not for COVID

Why? He wasn't going anywhere and he has still accomplished very little without Garza....it would be fine if the next 2 seasons are okay but that's a huge if. Just dont think it was necessary right now, still a decent chance the program is sweet 16 less in a week
Next year will be a shit show unless we get a transfer big man and a transfer shooting guard. The cupboard is pretty bare.

I can think of about 90 reasons "holding his water" would have been to Barta/ U of I's advantage and 1 for advantage Barta/fran. He wanted to protect his guy in case he shits the bed on the tourny.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Next year will be a shit show unless we get a transfer big man and a transfer shooting guard. The cupboard is pretty bare.
How do you figure? I’ve never felt more excited for the young players than I do for next year. They seem very talented and athletic.

I think we pull in a transfer for a big body to rotate in for Nunge. I also think Josh O. can continue to develop and contribute ext season.

Fear of the unknown is a hell of a motivator, why show your hand early if you are Barta other than to protect your guy?
If not AFTER this tournament, I think the extension, if any, should have come in the latter part of the '21 - '22 season when we'd all see how Fran does without his superstar senior Center and other uber-exerienced guys.

Oh well.

I don't understand the necessity of an extension right now. Patrick is a freshman eligibility-wise, right? Was there any concern Fran would walk?

Reactions: grayhair81

Agree was a dumb move

Reactions: HawkInArk
Hey, at least they actually announced and are celebrating it this time instead of the underhanded BS extension last time a reporter had to dig up months later.

I think we pull in a transfer for a big body to rotate in for Nunge. I also think Josh O. can continue to develop and contribute ext season.
Partially agree here. Josh will continue his development and Jack should hopefully be back and ready to go. However, I'm not certain Fran will bring in a transfer big. I'm more inclined to believe he will go to Patrick instead. Patrick is 6'9", a little smaller and lighter than Jack and Josh, but he has good length.

Huh? You’ve complained for years and years that Iowa doesn’t have enough brothas. Did you see the Murray/Perkins/Ulis class? Iowa will get a transfer or two to plug holes but saying that the cupboard is bare is idiotic. Then again, look who typed it....

Well deserved. He’s brought Iowa basketball back to national relevance, seen an improvement on the recruiting front, plays an exciting brand of basketball, and continues to develop quality individuals and players. He’s not without flaws, largest of which is a lack of tournament success (hopefully that changes this year), but overall I can’t complain much about the state of the program or the direction that it’s heading

Coaching B-ball is certainly a lot easier than working at a meat packing plant during Covid or working in hospital on any factory. Pretty easy gig to coach until 70. However, at around 70 opposing coaches
use the age card, so I think Fran will be setting up CMAC with an assistant coaching position before then.

If not AFTER this tournament, I think the extension, if any, should have come in the latter part of the '21 - '22 season when we'd all see how Fran does without his superstar senior Center and other uber-exerienced guys.

Oh well.

See my earlier post....the Univ will have a new president in 2-3 weeks. That's Barta's boss, who will sign off (or turn down) anything Barta does. A lot of unknowns with a new president. Maybe they could care less about the Athletic Department.

WOuldn't be easy to go to a brand new President a week or two after they were hired and say, "Hey, I know the athletic department lost a metric crapload of money last year, and is close to being in crippling debt, and there are some lawsuits that could cause us to lose even more money...but I want to spend millions on a contract extension for our Bball coach."

So sign before the hire and get it out of the way. I imagine Fran's agent knows all of this and was pushing Barta for the extension before the new Prez was hired.

Here’s a fun game. Use the search function, type Cmac into the search, and HawkLogic under Member. That friends is one obsessed person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT