ADVERTISEMENT

Fran contract extension

The 6'10 guy that can't jump over a 5 gallon bucket? The 3 star kid that makes Spencer petras look like hulk hogan?? That's what Iowa has been missing on making a run......... we are a 2 seed, that isn't going to change with a contract. Have you heard of someone performing in a "contract year", why show your hand early if you are Barta? What does it gain youto do this early?

Would love to have heard your assessment of Garza when he committed...

Reactions: unoHawkeye
You are undervaluing Frank's impact on Luka. I'm not undervaluing anything. This didn't need to happen right now and the only reason it did was to protect Fran from the tough questions if this team shits the bed and we have to acknowledge another year of lowered expectations.
I'll bet you're a blast to hang out with...

Reactions: lucas80
Agreed. You know what you call a 6'10 guy that needs to add significant weight that cannot clear a beachball rolling at him?

A project.

You know what type of player a D1, p5, coach in the best conference in the nation shouldn't need a contract to go get?

A project.
Every write up I’ve seen of Mulvey lists him at 6’11. So not a 7 footer, but not a round-down to 6’10 either. And what freshman doesn’t need to add weight going into college? The number of good big men who, in a given year, come into college fully grown into their bodies (without being overweight like Ogundele) can be counted on one hand. These guys are 18-19 years old. Even Woodbury, who was a four star recruit, top 50 player, offers from *everybody, came in at 230 pounds, (according to Rivals, Mulvey is actually 240).

Clear a beachball? Lol. Why would a 5 in Iowa’s offense need to clear anything? If you can hit jumpers, pass, screen, and have a decent array of post moves (supposedly this is where Mulvey needs to improve), you will have success in Iowa’s offense. I suspect that playing alongside Toussaint, Perkins, and Ulis will get Riley plenty of open looks

Riley is not a “project”

Reactions: Mohawkeye
2 things.

1) "If Fran does...." isn't that the whole point of discussion here? That this extension was unnecessarily premature (by a few weeks)? If he eats a bag in the round of 32 are those NBA programs still looking for a "great offensive mind?" lol

2) I know what to say if you don't -- there is no NBA team looking to hire Fran McCaffery as a head coach. If you disagree, name them. Same with these theoretical college programs -- list them.

It's a joke.
Look, if I were AD, I would have waited until after the season to extend Fran. But that’s not to say that I disagree with the extension in general. If Iowa loses to Grand Canyon University or Oregon, does Fran deserve to get fired instead of extended? No. One game doesn’t make the difference between the two, and quite frankly, Fran could coach the worst two games of his career and Iowa should still have the experience and ability to beat either team and make the Sweet 16. Getting the extension now isn’t diminishing anybody’s desire to win in March. Garza and Bohannon didn’t return to school to get McCaffery a contract extension. Nobody’s becoming complacent now

I don’t know any schools or NBA programs that would be looking at Fran because Fran received a contract extension before it could ever become a conversation. The only reason I know any schools that are in talks with any other coaches is because I’ve seen reporters report it. Nobody’s reaching out to Fran that we know of with the season going on, and Barta shut the idea down before it could ever become a conversation in the postseason

Reactions: AlvySinger
Funny how when we win a big game, all credit goes to the individual players that scored a lot, but when we lose a game, it's all on McCaffery's shoulders.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Funny how when we win a big game, all credit goes to the individual players that scored a lot, but when we lose a game, it's all on McCaffery's shoulders.

Yeah, that's frequently the reaction. Sometimes, it's accurate.

Hahahaha

.578... and you’re comparing what beilein accomplished at Michigan to what Fran has accomplished at Iowa?

I think you might be leaving a few things out on John’s side of the ledger.

smh

List the programs rumored to be interested in hiring Fran McCaffrey.
Most of those rumors are spread by the coaches' agents. Are you trying to say, no one would want Fran. BS. Fran's a good coach who plays a fun style of bb.

Any guesses if he’ll get another extension?
I can see it, but I think Goetz is going to be smarter about extensions than Barta was. Smaller buyouts and fewer years should be in the contracts. If a coach thinks the buyout is too small let them walk.

Reactions: amahawk
I can see it, but I think Goetz is going to be smarter about extensions than Barta was. Smaller buyouts and fewer years should be in the contracts. If a coach thinks the buyout is too small let them walk.
“Smarter”? This is the way of the coaching and sports world. ADs have to be careful and not aggressive with their coaches.…..and their hires. Ms. Goetz is an unknown quantity as an AD…..I wish her the best. In a few years, if she is still with us, she’ll have her chance…..remember Bumps first couple of coaching picks were not exactly trouble free……..

Reactions: LukaDuka
Why not..this year wS probably Frans best job of coaching...he gets the right player or two...Iowa will be ok....too many Iowa fans bitch just to hear themselves bitch.,Fran is a solid coach.
Fran is just ok, not great, never has been, never will be. Iowa has given him 14 years and one big tournament title. Never threatened to win the regular season conference title. No ncaa runs. We have settled. Some prefer to risk for more.

Fran is just ok, not great, never has been, never will be. Iowa has given him 14 years and one big tournament title. Never threatened to win the regular season conference title. No ncaa runs. We have settled. Some prefer to risk for more.
You talking about UIowa’s rich basketball tradition of Championships?
Let’s in in my life……Iowa hung a banner in ‘55 or 56……in 1968 (tie)….in 1970, Lute hung one…..so in my 75 years, what….5 times? Final 4’s in ‘55 and ‘56….and 1980, and………?????????????Keep me informed on UIowa’s title and championship laden basketball history……..lots of good teams they the years, though…..a few reall good coaches, too……..Bucky O’Connor, Ralph Miller…..Tom Davis…..Fran……and then we’ve had some not so goods ones too………

You talking about UIowa’s rich basketball tradition of Championships?
Let’s in in my life……Iowa hung a banner in ‘55 or 56……in 1968 (tie)….in 1970, Lute hung one…..so in my 75 years, what….5 times? Final 4’s in ‘55 and ‘56….and 1980, and………?????????????Keep me informed on UIowa’s title and championship laden basketball history……..lots of good teams they the years, though…..a few reall good coaches, too……..Bucky O’Connor, Ralph Miller…..Tom Davis…..Fran……and then we’ve had some not so goods ones too………
So no need to try and improve Iowa basketball? You have settled, I choose not to.

Why has he not done that in 14 years?
Because you can’t average 80+ points a game to be among the highest in the nation every year and hold opponents to under 60 points a game. Personally I love the pace of play for both the Men’s and Women’s teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT