ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McCaffery not planning on retiring anytime soon

He doesn't have to retire. Take a job elsewhere or an asst on his son's team. Has Jack committed anywhere yet?
Agree. Explore other opportunities, keep an open mind if you're Fran, think of how nice it could be with a new team, etc. In other words, are we to believe that suddenly we become real contenders and finally get to, and advance beyond the first round of the NCAA's?

Any chance Jack changes his mind? Butler, Bryant, Wake Forest, and Virginia Tech aren’t a bad offer list, but it seems like the only thing they have over Iowa is that he wouldn’t be playing for his dad. And maybe that is his and the family’s priority.
Jack is a tweener. He is too slow to play the wing, and not big enough to play down low. His offers have not came in like they thought when he announced he wasn’t going to Iowa. He has a beautiful stroke. I don’t think he would be very effective in the big ten.

His Siena teams average defensive efficiency ranking was 116th in KenPom.

At Iowa, his teams have averaged 107th in KenPom.

Notably, the defense was significantly improved for the four years Gesell and Woodbury were at Iowa. In those years, Iowa's average was 41st. In Fran's other 10 years at Iowa, the average has been 133rd.
It's because Adam Woodbury was a great screen defender before he got here.

He's the only guy Frans had that could force the ballhandler to go away from the basket.

Gessel and Clemons were good defenders but that doesn't mean much if they can just screen you out of the play.

As a result, Iowa men's basketball is having a hard time competing against "basketball schools" and against schools that don't have a football program (where collectives spend more or all on basketball).

Iowa is indeed a football school and basketball is merely tolerated. They built a 70 million dollar rec center on burlington with only 3 courts, and they regularly kick the basketball players off at peak hours. They also refuse to make Carver more "rowdy" by letting the students get closer. The administration is a bunch of geriatrics who have long considered bball to be an afterthought.

hukk.png

Yep, No one cares about top half finishes anymore.

He'd have to do something in the tournament to get people excited again.

And to do something in the tournament would probably require a change in his approach.
Everyone just brushing past Frans quote and how much if it was just blatant BS.

It's because Adam Woodbury was a great screen defender before he got here.

He's the only guy Frans had that could force the ballhandler to go away from the basket.

Gessel and Clemons were good defenders but that doesn't mean much if they can just screen you out of the play.

And we backed up Woodbury with Olaseni, who was a pretty good rim defender. Both Woodbury and Olaseni averaged over 5 fouls per 40 minutes because we could afford for them to split time. Haven’t had that kind of consistent defensive aggressiveness at the 5 since.

What exactly did he say that you consider BS?
"We don't know anything else. We got into coaching right out of college and grinded our way up in the coaching profession. And being around young people on a daily basis keeps you young... We come in and we try to figure out how we're gonna try to get better. How are we going to get each individual better? How are we going to get our team better? How are we going to prepare for our next opponent? What are we doing in recruiting? How are our guys doing academically? Is there anybody struggling? Is there anybody that needs help? Is there anything going on in their lives that might need to be addressed? And then you just continue to go to work. And it sorta never ends. Even when the season ends, the job doesn't change... We enjoy it. Tom loves it. He's really good at it."

First unbolded, what has Fran ever changes to make his teams better? Same exact coaching philosophy his entire career. His defenses are terrible, does nothing to try to change that. BS was probably a little strong, as I’m sure he does try to get better. He just hasn’t changed anything his entire time at Iowa to help with that.

Last unbolded pertains to Izzo. He’s tried to brush some pretty horrible stuff his players have done under the rug.

Guess i’m just ready for Fran to leave, and now sadly after seeing this thread we’re likely stuck with him for another 5years or whatever it is. Thanks Barta!

"We don't know anything else. We got into coaching right out of college and grinded our way up in the coaching profession. And being around young people on a daily basis keeps you young... We come in and we try to figure out how we're gonna try to get better. How are we going to get each individual better? How are we going to get our team better? How are we going to prepare for our next opponent? What are we doing in recruiting? How are our guys doing academically? Is there anybody struggling? Is there anybody that needs help? Is there anything going on in their lives that might need to be addressed? And then you just continue to go to work. And it sorta never ends. Even when the season ends, the job doesn't change... We enjoy it. Tom loves it. He's really good at it."

First unbolded, what has Fran ever changes to make his teams better? Same exact coaching philosophy his entire career. His defenses are terrible, does nothing to try to change that. BS was probably a little strong, as I’m sure he does try to get better. He just hasn’t changed anything his entire time at Iowa to help with that.

Last unbolded pertains to Izzo. He’s tried to brush some pretty horrible stuff his players have done under the rug.

Guess i’m just ready for Fran to leave, and now sadly after seeing this thread we’re likely stuck with him for another 5years or whatever it is. Thanks Barta!
Thanks for the clarification.

I get the Fran-fatigue.
I share it at times.
He sure ain't perfect.
But I do think he, like KF, is a high character guy.
Their players love them
Their loyalty to their players does cut both ways at times , hampering win/loss success at times.
Both coaches, Fran & KF, stubbornly stick to their fundamental approach.
I would say that Fran is capable of course correction in personnel.
He has changed 40% of our starting lineup from Nov to Jan.
I will not vouch for izzo but you know that the coaches code is to not be critical of one another.

I continue to be critical of Fran's guard recruiting short-comings but we are seeing some progress with Dix and Harding.
Defensively I have always felt it was more a lack of athleticism in some guys that end up sabotaging our good defenders than Fran not teaching it.
But he is responsible for the recruits and he clearly prioritizes offense skill over defensive skills.

I get the Fran-fatigue.
I share it at times.
He sure ain't perfect.
Their players love them
Their loyalty to their players does cut both ways at times , hampering win/loss success at times.
I will not vouch for izzo but you know that the coaches code is to not be critical of one another.

I continue to be critical of Fran's guard recruiting short-comings but we are seeing some progress with Dix and Harding.
Defensively I have always felt it was more a lack of athleticism in some guys that end up sabotaging our good defenders than Fran not teaching it.
But he is responsible for the recruits and he clearly prioritizes offense skill over defensive skills.

Iowa’s guards get murdered on dribble penetration, but a lot that is terrible technique. When the guards get beat, the defense collapses and is in scramble mode. But again, even the help defenders are standing straight up and not in a stance. That’s why you see them help and not able to get back. Also the lack of closing out on shooters under control is incredible to me, guys flying right by shooters. His defenses are so poorly coached/emphasized it isn’t even funny.

I get the Fran-fatigue.
I share it at times.
He sure ain't perfect.
Their players love them

Well said for the most part. Fran has changed 40% of the lineup…id argue it was probably the wrong 40% though lol
I just think you’re about a year behind me on not giving AF lol years of fatigue watching the same things happen to his teams, regardless of personnel, and I just don’t care anymore

Well said for the most part. Fran has changed 40% of the lineup…id argue it was probably the wrong 40% though lol
I just think you’re about a year behind me on not giving AF lol years of fatigue watching the same things happen to his teams, regardless of personnel, and I just don’t care anymore
I cling to the hope we can persuade Tony to return next year giving Fran the most athletic rotation in his time at Iowa with:
Tony, Dix,Harding, Bowen, Sandforts,Koch, Ladji,Tadjo,Freeman....add one more rim protector and maybe a solid wing this group could soar.

Iowa’s guards get murdered on dribble penetration, but a lot that is terrible technique. When the guards get beat, the defense collapses and is in scramble mode. But again, even the help defenders are standing straight up and not in a stance. That’s why you see them help and not able to get back. Also the lack of closing out on shooters under control is incredible to me, guys flying right by shooters. His defenses are so poorly coached/emphasized it isn’t even funny.
If you watch Dix he is an excellent defender. He's a big guard and has a mix of good athleticism and excellent anticipation and court awareness. He makes very few mistakes out there. Perkins can be excellent as well when he is dialed in. Both of these guys are good help defenders often making plays even at the rim. They are easily the best defensive guard tandem since Gessel and Clemons.

Iowa's biggest defensive challenges today are the wings and Krikke underneath. Sandfort and Pmac really struggle on the defensive end and are behind a lot of the defensive lapses that you see.

If you told me Fran was going to make similarity statements about he and Izzo, I would have thought he was drunk.

We are going to need some guards for next year.

Tony and PMac have indicated they won't be back next year.

As of now, we have 11 scholarship players on the roster for next season, where Dasonte (assuming he's back) & Brock are the only true PGs.

As of now: 3 guards & 8 forwards/centers on next season's roster.

And I would argue we only have 1 guard who can shoot well from distance (Dix).

Freshmen
6'7" PF Cooper Koch
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

Sophomores
6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

Juniors
6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen
6'5" SG Josh Dix
6'11" C Riley Mulvey-- on Nov 13, 2023 it was announced that Riley was redshirting the 2023-2024 season. He was originally scheduled to graduate in 2025

Seniors
6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'9" F/C Even Brauns
I can see Bowen transferring. Did he even play last night?

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
I don't believe the presence or absence of Fran's sons will change his approach to defense. Iowa's failure to contest 3 point shots is Tom Davis-esque, without the benefit of better rebounding.

Reactions: DewHawk
I don't believe the presence or absence of Fran's sons will change his approach to defense. Iowa's failure to contest 3 point shots is Tom Davis-esque, without the benefit of better rebounding.

yeah, Fran's teams were poor defensively long before his sons started playing for him

Just a reminder for those hoping for a coaching change....

On Feb 19 Fran stated he was not planning on retiring anytime soon. And I don't think Beth is gonna fire him.
Why would he retire? He has it made. Paid millions of dollars per year and all he has to do is not be as bad as Lickliter.

Reactions: DewHawk
On May 10, 2023, SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs explained why they currently are unable to support the men's basketball program like they need to.

Fran has embraced SWARM but there's only so much money to go around & SWARM clearly has earmarked a lot of their resources for the football program (look at the haul of football transfers that they brought in).

As a result, Iowa men's basketball is having a hard time competing against "basketball schools" and against schools that don't have a football program (where collectives spend more or all on basketball).

Fran gets criticized a lot for not landing highly rated prospects but the lack of money that the SWARM can offer has made his job that much harder.

We don't know how much effort Fran the coach has put into courting Big Donor money---he's the face of the program and selling his product is part of the job description. Fran is making $3.2 million or so per year and TJ quite a bit less....but Iowa State Basketball NIL payroll is around $1.2 million in NIL at least based on the site I visitied. You get more bang for the buck in NIL than in coaches in this era.

There is lot of money in B1G B-ball---more eyeballs that Big12/bigger TV money. The trick is getting the money to players. Iowa sports revenue is something like 20th or 21st in nation...there is money around waiting for a good product. Fran the coach's over 0.500 B1G play, but not much more is not going to excite anyone but the most loyal to part with cash for NIL. Also, Iowa needs a B-ball specific NIL collective. I give to swarm, but most of that money is probably going to that Michigan QB who is underwheliming. I'd rather my money go to B-ball but I don't have a say at the Swarm at sub $1000 level.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Saw someone mentioned Iowa State’s coach already has more tourney wins than Fran?

I don’t understand why we can’t have even a remotely ‘special’ season every once in a while…Sad.

And, we keep this guy around to keep the trend going 👎🏼

We don't know how much effort Fran the coach has put into courting Big Donor money---he's the face of the program and selling his product is part of the job description. Fran is making $3.2 million or so per year and TJ quite a bit less....but Iowa State Basketball NIL payroll is around $1.2 million in NIL at least based on the site I visitied. You get more bang for the buck in NIL than in coaches in this era.

There is lot of money in B1G B-ball---more eyeballs that Big12/bigger TV money. The trick is getting the money to players. Iowa sports revenue is something like 20th or 21st in nation...there is money around waiting for a good product. Fran the coach's over 0.500 B1G play, but not much more is not going to excite anyone but the most loyal to part with cash for NIL. Also, Iowa needs a B-ball specific NIL collective. I give to swarm, but most of that money is probably going to that Michigan QB who is underwheliming. I'd rather my money go to B-ball but I don't have a say at the Swarm at sub $1000 level.
Does that site give an NIL number for Iowa?
Tj does well but 1.2 million has to help a lot.

Money isn't everything when you already have enough as Fran surely does. I was offered a very lucrative position but we were already in a good position financially and it meant a fair amount of travel and my priorities were different. I walked away and never regretted it.

Some people thing along those lines and some don't.

As much as he loves his boys, Fran probably grooves on getting more money and setting his kids up even better in life. I think you will see him and his Agent push for contract extension and big raise to match the salary escalation that is going on across the B1G schools. The best coaching Pay is in B1G conference or the Blue Bloods. I think their is agreement among B1G ADs not to poach each other's coaches and no way Fran's record attracts interest from a Kentucky type blue blood, so Fran is stuck at Iowa unless he's willing to take a big pay cut.

We might see CMAC as assistant at Iowa in next few years if Fran has a good run and increases his marketabilty/negotiating power. If in 2-3 years Fran gets fired with guaranteed money, he'll go to a mid major and coach Jack. If Fran finishes out at a Mid major, extracting as much money from Iowa via a long-term guaranteed contract is the best plan financially.

Does that site give an NIL number for Iowa?
Tj does well but 1.2 million has to help a lot.
The ON3 site had a $1.2 million estimate for ISU basketball payroll on a page I saw. I'm not sure, but I assume Stine the billionaire in Seed Corn might be a big sponsor?

The ON3 site had a $1.2 million estimate for ISU basketball payroll on a page I saw. I'm not sure, but I assume Stine the billionaire in Seed Corn might be a big sponsor?
Denny Albaugh is the $$$ for clone basketball

Some people thing along those lines and some don't.

As much as he loves his boys, Fran probably grooves on getting more money and setting his kids up even better in life. I think you will see him and his Agent push for contract extension and big raise to match the salary escalation that is going on across the B1G schools. The best coaching Pay is in B1G conference or the Blue Bloods. I think their is agreement among B1G ADs not to poach each other's coaches and no way Fran's record attracts interest from a Kentucky type blue blood, so Fran is stuck at Iowa unless he's willing to take a big pay cut.

We might see CMAC as assistant at Iowa in next few years if Fran has a good run and increases his marketabilty/negotiating power. If in 2-3 years Fran gets fired with guaranteed money, he'll go to a mid major and coach Jack. If Fran finishes out at a Mid major, extracting as much money from Iowa via a long-term guaranteed contract is the best plan financially.
Special assistant in charge of post entry passes?

Reactions: vonviener
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT