ADVERTISEMENT

Fran vs Tom Davis

That's pretty much the way I remember it, except I don't think Iowa was ever much in the picture with Hinrich, as KU had always been his second choice. FWIW, that didn't turn out all that badly for ISU because when Hinrich decommitted, Eustachy had to find a PG and ended up with Tinsley.
I agree that Iowa was never in the picture with Hinrich. But I can speculate that if Iowa had already changed coaches, and the new guy was the hot new thing (kind of like Alford was at first), we might have been able to make a run at Hinrich. But instead, Iowa was essentially coach-less, so there was no reason for Hinrich to even give Iowa a look.

Okay, 2 success stories. What % is that of all the coaching changes at the college level?
Here are some recent coaching changes: there were 57 college/univ coaching changes in one year.
I don't like the odds just for the sake of change.

1st off no change is happening. Fran has a contract through 2028. The rational hope would be that Barta would quit extending Fran's contract unless he has some success beyond his low 50% win percentage in B1G. With the B1G itself being a below average P5 conference, being middle of the pack in B1G is nothing special. I get Fran has 4 straight NCAA appearances....with more than half the leagues going to NCAA each year recently, all it takes is a mediocre record to make NCAA in B!G.

The success story for Portal/NIL rags to riches is pretty obvious ---Uconn 4 transfers, Miami 3 including 2 that came with $800K NIL deal , Florida Atlantic had 3 I think. Fran has been among the most resistant/hesitant and least successful among P5 coaches to being able to land transfers/Portal players. NIL is a year late, but getting done....lets monitor Fran on his portal/NIL success,,,if he continues to lag, all the more reason NOT to renew his contract because his skill set is not longer matched to modern college b-ball.

Without a Sweet16 to his 30 year career, and at 63 years of age, Fran has near zero chance of getting another P5 job that pays the same. He's locked in for good or bad....the only way Iowa gets rid of him is if pulls an Alford and moves down to a non-P5 conference and takes a pay cut...or Fran somehow pulls a rabbit out of the hat and makes the sweet16 in next 2-3 years and he becomes more marketable. The fact that Notre Dame had zero interest in Fran kind of shows Fran's market value.

I'd like to see Iowa B-ball coach salary geared towards pay for performance on Top end NCAA success to make Fran actually interested in making some improvements, instead of being fat and content getting extensions every year and complete freedom to practice nepotism and run Iowa b-ball as personal fiefdom.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'd like to see Iowa B-ball coach salary geared towards pay for performance on Top end NCAA success to make Fran actually interested in making some improvements, instead of being fat and content getting extensions every year and complete freedom to practice nepotism and run Iowa b-ball as personal fiefdom.

I like that idea.

$2M base salary ...then bonus's for legit accomplishments:

$3M for conference title
$1M for making the Dance
$2M for making the S16
$3M for making the FF
$5M for winning a NC

They could all be stacked on top of each other too.

Yeah, I don't get this either.

Don't want the success Wisconsin had because of style of play? Or MSU? I call BS.

People are way too hung up on style of play. They'd rather lose and play uptempo, than win? Human beings are odd creatures.

You see the opposite towards the football staff. Proponents tell everyone that offense doesn't matter. Winning is all that matters and people should be grateful to Kirk for that.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
1st off no change is happening. Fran has a contract through 2028. The rational hope would be that Barta would quit extending Fran's contract unless he has some success beyond his low 50% win percentage in B1G. With the B1G itself being a below average P5 conference, being middle of the pack in B1G is nothing special. I get Fran has 4 straight NCAA appearances....with more than half the leagues going to NCAA each year recently, all it takes is a mediocre record to make NCAA in B!G.

The success story for Portal/NIL rags to riches is pretty obvious ---Uconn 4 transfers, Miami 3 including 2 that came with $800K NIL deal , Florida Atlantic had 3 I think. Fran has been among the most resistant/hesitant and least successful among P5 coaches to being able to land transfers/Portal players. NIL is a year late, but getting done....lets monitor Fran on his portal/NIL success,,,if he continues to lag, all the more reason NOT to renew his contract because his skill set is not longer matched to modern college b-ball.

Without a Sweet16 to his 30 year career, and at 63 years of age, Fran has near zero chance of getting another P5 job that pays the same. He's locked in for good or bad....the only way Iowa gets rid of him is if pulls an Alford and moves down to a non-P5 conference and takes a pay cut...or Fran somehow pulls a rabbit out of the hat and makes the sweet16 in next 2-3 years and he becomes more marketable. The fact that Notre Dame had zero interest in Fran kind of shows Fran's market value.

Barring a collapse, Fran is at Iowa for as long as he wants which will likely be through 2029-30 when his last son graduates. Then he'll retire. Everyone just needs to come to terms with that.

Barring a collapse, Fran is at Iowa for as long as he wants which will likely be through 2029-30 when his last son graduates. Then he'll retire. Everyone just needs to come to terms with that.

Please define "collapse"?

It probably wouldn't matter if Barta is allowed to stay on until he's ready to retire.

Hoping that doesn't happen.

I always thought Davis got a raw deal, however at the time I understood the frustration as well. There was also a shiny Steve Alford waiting in the wings we all thought would take us to the next level (regular sweet 16s).

That was before I knew how bad it could get.

That's why Fran gets forgiven for ONLY making the tournament.

I realize as I'm older that I value going into games knowing we have a chance to win. It makes watching much more fun. We always have a chance with Fran. with Lickliter, we went for long stretches without hope, just waiting until we met the next really bad team that MAYBE we could beat. That was miserable.
Davis had a snake-bitten tenure. Admin and just plain bad luck. He deserved better.

How exactly do you know who ND had interest in and who they didn’t?

You’re posting in absolutely fact something that you have no idea about. The only thing we heard about their hiring process was late in the regular season that their next coach was a lock for the NCAA. That definitely wasn’t Micah Shrewsberry and PSU at the time.

Either way, you have no idea if ND had interest in Fran or even if Fran had any interest in ND.

Reactions: Rifler and jimbob22
You see the opposite towards the football staff. Proponents tell everyone that offense doesn't matter. Winning is all that matters and people should be grateful to Kirk for that.
Yep, and the problem is, I would always counter that with the fact that Iowa went 7-5 year. 7-5 (even 8-5 with a bowl win) doesn't excite me. Or 10 wins the year before was all well and good, but maybe with a decent offense they win 12.

I see no reason not to try to be as good as you can be on BOTH sides of the ball. Same goes for basketball. "Good enough" smacks of complacency and contentment to me. If I was a coach, that would drive me nuts. I would always be looking for weak areas and trying to improve those. Zero excuse for not at least trying, IMO. Why settle?

Yep, and the problem is, I would always counter that with the fact that Iowa went 7-5 year. 7-5 (even 8-5 with a bowl win) doesn't excite me. Or 10 wins the year before was all well and good, but maybe with a decent offense they win 12.

I see no reason not to try to be as good as you can be on BOTH sides of the ball. Same goes for basketball. "Good enough" smacks of complacency and contentment to me. If I was a coach, that would drive me nuts. I would always be looking for weak areas and trying to improve those. Zero excuse for not at least trying, IMO. Why settle?
I'm not arguing with any of this. I'm just saying that it would be highly unusual for either Kirk or Fran to get fired at this point for being average or above average which is where the programs are today. At least at a school like Iowa. I've said this before but Iowa football and basketball are in that sweet spot of fan purgatory. Highly unlikely to win the conference but not so bad that a change would ever be considered.

I'm not arguing with any of this. I'm just saying that it would be highly unusual for either Kirk or Fran to get fired at this point for being average or above average which is where the programs are today. At least at a school like Iowa. I've said this before but Iowa football and basketball are in that sweet spot of fan purgatory. Highly unlikely to win the conference but not so bad that a change would ever be considered.
True.

• Sad
Several sub .500 seasons (not B1G but overall) or a scandal directly related to Fran. Nothing short of that would put Fran on the hot seat.
What about three straight seasons at .500 or just above without any NCAA appearances?

Barta wouldn’t obviously, but a new AD probably would.

How exactly do you know who ND had interest in and who they didn’t?

You’re posting in absolutely fact something that you have no idea about. The only thing we heard about their hiring process was late in the regular season that their next coach was a lock for the NCAA. That definitely wasn’t Micah Shrewsberry and PSU at the time.

Either way, you have no idea if ND had interest in Fran or even if Fran had any interest in ND.
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT