ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's recruiting is toast

Feb 25, 2008
Fart noises for the guys he's bringing in, and zero help inside having lost on several prospects, most notably to Iowa State because apparently ISU is some destination school now, either that or Otzelberger is a hell of a used car salesman/ISU is taking advantage of all those rich farmers for NIL...............

This is why it's time for Iowa to part ways. Let Fran go and let's bring someone in who can change the narrative and convince these easily impressionable and gullible teenagers to come to Iowa so we can win a f***ing national championship.

kicking-the-chair-kicking.gif

Yep should have beat Wisconsin. Much better shape with that win and Eastern Illinois debacle.
I get the Wisconsin lost. They seem to have our number often. But yeah through that slump the biggest frustration was giving away easy baskets when things weren’t going iowas way. And taking advantage of Perkins not defending back down cuts. Gosh I was glad when he got bench for giving up what seemed like his 10th back door tonight.

They’ll be up and downs this season. I think best case scenario is playing back to getting on the bubble. But too to bottom big ten is fairly strong so it would be a big accomplishment for this roster.

Fran’s staff early on was poorly constructed from a recruiting standpoint, outside of Dillard. They had no one on staff who was directly coming from recruiting the Midwest heavily. That was a poor choice and it cost them. Recruiting is about relationships.

The staff is better constituted for recruiting now. To dismiss the currently committed recruits is just stupid. Freeman had offers from Purdue, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois, Indiana, Notre Dame and several others. Dembele is a 4-star on Rivals and had offers from six Power 5 teams. Sandfort is Top 100 on all three major sites. Harding is top 150 on 247 and the #23 PG in the country according to On3. Koch had offers from Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana.

Yes, it would be great to have recruits with higher rankings. Yes, we’re all disappointed with the performance of the team since blowing out Iowa State. But let’s not overlook the fact that Coach Fran is bringing in quality players.

Fran’s staff early on was poorly constructed from a recruiting standpoint, outside of Dillard. They had no one on staff who was directly coming from recruiting the Midwest heavily. That was a poor choice and it cost them. Recruiting is about relationships.

The staff is better constituted for recruiting now. To dismiss the currently committed recruits is just stupid. Freeman had offers from Purdue, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois, Indiana, Notre Dame and several others. Dembele is a 4-star on Rivals and had offers from six Power 5 teams. Sandfort is Top 100 on all three major sites. Harding is top 150 on 247 and the #23 PG in the country according to On3. Koch had offers from Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana.

Yes, it would be great to have recruits with higher rankings. Yes, we’re all disappointed with the performance of the team since blowing out Iowa State. But let’s not overlook the fact that Coach Fran is bringing in quality players.
Are they better than Rock and Biliew?

Are they better than Rock and Biliew?
We’ll find out, won’t we? No point in getting so worked up when these guys are months away from suiting up and recruiting rankings are such an inexact science.

You act like games are decided by recruiting rankings. No way Iowa beat Indiana tonight since Indiana had two 5-stars and a bunch of 4-stars, right?

We’ll find out, won’t we? No point in getting so worked up when these guys are months away from suiting up and recruiting rankings are such an inexact science.

You act like games are decided by recruiting rankings. No way Iowa beat Indiana tonight since Indiana had two 5-stars and a bunch of 4-stars, right?
Yes some of these comments are interesting. Of course we all wish recruiting was better and Fran got his first choice recruits all the time. Whatever Otz is doing at ISU is working. But to say that the guys coming in aren't of Big 10 quality seems weird. As you pointed out, Freeman, Koch and Sandfordt all had many good offers.

Iowa likely takes a step back next year while the new players adjust unless a transfer or 2 comes in. But the sky is not falling.

Fart noises for the guys he's bringing in, and zero help inside having lost on several prospects, most notably to Iowa State because apparently ISU is some destination school now, either that or Otzelberger is a hell of a used car salesman/ISU is taking advantage of all those rich farmers for NIL...............

This is why it's time for Iowa to part ways. Let Fran go and let's bring someone in who can change the narrative and convince these easily impressionable and gullible teenagers to come to Iowa so we can win a f***ing national championship.

:rolleyes:

Yes some of these comments are interesting. Of course we all wish recruiting was better and Fran got his first choice recruits all the time. Whatever Otz is doing at ISU is working. But to say that the guys coming in aren't of Big 10 quality seems weird. As you pointed out, Freeman, Koch and Sandfordt all had many good offers.

Iowa likely takes a step back next year while the new players adjust unless a transfer or 2 comes in. But the sky is not falling.
That last paragraph is what concerns me. Taking a step back from an NIT type team this year, is not how the big boys do it. Heck ISU followed up going winless in the Big 12 in 2020-2021, by going to the sweet sixteen the next year.

Fran needs to stop losing his mind in ball games. We are very lucky tonight he didn't get another T at the end and cost the team the win. How can he think rationally and plan strategy when he's losing his shit. I can understand getting upset with the officiating and the play on the court. But its hurting his performance as a coach. He needs to stay composed. I would suggest he go to the school of Tom Izzo on how to work the refs during a game.

Lol- delusional fan. In this age of nil we are never going to sniff top 10 in basketball or football. If that is what sports is about for you then you need to pick a school that has $$$$$. But does that even work as A&M spent 30 million for last football class

ISU is a better program than iowa at this point. They are to iowa in basketball what Iowa is to ISU in football.
First point maybe. 2nd part not even close the gap isn't that wide between the 2. ISU and Iowa have gone back and forth on who is better in bball for the last how many years back to the 80s and 90s. Iowa football has been top dog since Hayden came here minus few years in late 90s and 00s and even then nationally isu wasn't relevant during that time mainly because more so Iowa was so bad. Only 2 times in last 40 years has ISU finished ranked ahead of Iowa. Flip side Iowa has done it around 20 times.

That last paragraph is what concerns me. Taking a step back from an NIT type team this year, is not how the big boys do it. Heck ISU followed up going winless in the Big 12 in 2020-2021, by going to the sweet sixteen the next year.
The season is not over yet. Iowa pulls off a win at Rutgers and they are firmly back in the tournament. Last season was looking pretty iffy until the late season run. Not saying that the same will happen this year, but always wise to let the season play out.

Iowa has a lot of needs. I don’t know about that.

Hopefully Fran is able to grab a big in the portal and a guard who can shoot.
Two very good bigs, a very underrated SF and a high risk/high reward point. We lose a big, a utility guy and a Murray, so position wise I think we are filling our needs. But yes, I fully expect Fran to pick up 1-2 players in the portal.

Reactions: Bishop1971
First point maybe. 2nd part not even close the gap isn't that wide between the 2. ISU and Iowa have gone back and forth on who is better in bball for the last how many years back to the 80s and 90s. Iowa football has been top dog since Hayden came here minus few years in late 90s and 00s and even then nationally isu wasn't relevant during that time mainly because more so Iowa was so bad. Only 2 times in last 40 years has ISU finished ranked ahead of Iowa. Flip side Iowa has done it around 20 times.
I was just thinking more along the lines of when Kirk started/Tom Davis retired/start of the century. But your point is valid.

And my comment was more along the lines of what seems to happen commonly for basketball and football. Like last year.

Iowa State was supposed to have the best football team in school history and Iowa crushed them and won ten games and ISU goes 7 and 5.

Last year, Iowa basketball was a trendy final four pick in March, and ISU basektball was coming off a two win season. Iowa goes out first round and ISU makes the sweet sixteen.

Fran needs to stop losing his mind in ball games. We are very lucky tonight he didn't get another T at the end and cost the team the win. How can he think rationally and plan strategy when he's losing his shit. I can understand getting upset with the officiating and the play on the court. But its hurting his performance as a coach. He needs to stay composed. I would suggest he go to the school of Tom Izzo on how to work the refs during a game.

How would Fran get a T? Being out of the coach’s box at the same time IU had two assistant coaches outside of the coach’s box. Makes sense, if you have an agenda, I guess.

Iowa fans need to stop acting like and accepting that the rules should be applied differently because ‘Fran is a meanie’. Fran was completely composed at the end of the game. He walked up and stood next to an official who was chatting with an IU assistant (outside the coaches box).

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT