ADVERTISEMENT

Fried Pork Tenderloin, one thing Iowa is the best at

I don't understand this! I love tenderloins but I prefer them with the bun, onions, pickles, lettuce and mayo. You really prefer eating a tenderloin plain over a tenderloin with fixins??? Makes no sense to me. I'll cut it in half and double that bitch up on a bun before I eat a straight tenderloin around the edges of the bun.
You're never going to be right on this.

Reactions: JWolf74 and Bro D
giphy.gif
[/QUOTE
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bro D
Man, that looks pretty damn good. I might have to find a recipe and make that.

Buy tenderized pork. Basically a "pork minute steak". Soak in buttermilk for 30 minutes.

Throw some flour and Old Bay to your preference in a mixing bowl, whisk that up then flour the pork. Some people add some garlic salt too and other spices (use your best judgment, Joel...we trust you).

Then fridge the pork for an hour. Crack a couple eggs and whisk them up in another bowl. Then use Louisiana brand fish breading (yes, fish breading) into a mixing bowl. Dip pork in eggs, then bread them in the Louisiana breading.

I use the fish breading because it's a less heavy coating and you've already floured them anyway.

Usually you can buy 3-4 pork minutes steaks in a pound package. So depending on size deep fry for roughly 4.5 to 5 minutes. I use pure canola oil myself, ymmv.

They're excellent. BTW, I've used this same process for boneless skinless chicken thighs also which is even better.

Reactions: ctghawk
If you use ketchup, you aren't an Iowan. Real Iowans eat them with yellow mustard, onion and dill pickle slices. The ketchup is for the fries.

Indiana also claims to be the Mecca of breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.
I'll mix some 57 sauce and Miracle Whip for Tenderloin. For some reason it just works.

I don't understand this! I love tenderloins but I prefer them with the bun, onions, pickles, lettuce and mayo. You really prefer eating a tenderloin plain over a tenderloin with fixins??? Makes no sense to me. I'll cut it in half and double that bitch up on a bun before I eat a straight tenderloin around the edges of the bun.
I am pretty sure that is how Jeffrey Dahmer got started.

That looks fantastic. Haven't seen one of those for 40 years:(

Anybody know where I can get one in Cedar Rapids? Coming back for a wedding in June.....

There used to be a place in Marion on the corner of main street (7th???) with the street that goes past Linn Mar.

Wishbone for 50¢ more will dip one in their BBQ sauce. It's a joyous mess from heaven.

In the Iowa City area you want to hit John's in Tiffin. However, they are closed from Nov-March. During this time you hit Shakespeare's near Iowa City H.S.

You're welcome.

Reactions: royhobbs2
For anyone in the Central Iowa area, Goldie’s in Prairie City has the best tenderloin. For those watching carbs, they even created The Strips basket which is no bun and the tenderloin cut into wide strips. Some enjoy dipping the strips in ranch, I prefer mustard. Also comes with pickle and onions and ketchup if desired. Crinkle fries too!

The best tenderloin in Iowa was at Smitty’s Maid Rite on 13th St in Marshalltown back in the 70s.

I haven’t tasted anything close since.

Buy tenderized pork. Basically a "pork minute steak". Soak in buttermilk for 30 minutes.

Throw some flour and Old Bay to your preference in a mixing bowl, whisk that up then flour the pork. Some people add some garlic salt too and other spices (use your best judgment, Joel...we trust you).

Then fridge the pork for an hour. Crack a couple eggs and whisk them up in another bowl. Then use Louisiana brand fish breading (yes, fish breading) into a mixing bowl. Dip pork in eggs, then bread them in the Louisiana breading.

I use the fish breading because it's a less heavy coating and you've already floured them anyway.

Usually you can buy 3-4 pork minutes steaks in a pound package. So depending on size deep fry for roughly 4.5 to 5 minutes. I use pure canola oil myself, ymmv.

They're excellent. BTW, I've used this same process for boneless skinless chicken thighs also which is even better.
My recipe:

drive to Villiage Tap
Order pitcher of beer
Drink beer (butt chug optional)
Order PTL with a side of crinks
add onions, pickles, mustard, catsup
dip crinks in buttermilk ranch. eat.
smash PTL

Reactions: ctghawk
Damn I’m salivating reading about this shit

I just had some mich ultras at a steakhouse and I’m going to order some fried pork tenderloins when i get home

When I lived in Germany, all anyone could tell me was how I had to try the schnitzel. Everyone told me how amazing these things were, and how when I went home it would be the thing I missed most. Three weeks passed, and the day finally came. They brought it to my table, and I took a bite. With eager anticipation, everyone was waiting for my reaction. My reaction was, "We have these in Iowa, only they're called pork tenderloins. And they're way better than this!"

Side story, I lived with a girl who was a Naval brat and she came from Youkosuka, Japan where her dad was stationed. She was showing me some pics she brought of her and her friends from HS, and they all had "Kinnick Football" and "Kinnick Wrestling" shirts on. I asked, "Kinnick, like Nile Kinnick?" She said, "yeah...Nile C. Kinnick was the name of my high school. He was some naval hero or something. You know of him?" I said, "OMG, you have no idea!" I pulled up pictures of Kinnick Stadium, the statue, and told her how revered he was in Iowa.

CSB.

When I lived in Germany, all anyone could tell me was how I had to try the schnitzel. Everyone told me how amazing these things were, and how when I went home it would be the thing I missed most. Three weeks passed, and the day finally came. They brought it to my table, and I took a bite. With eager anticipation, everyone was waiting for my reaction. My reaction was, "We have these in Iowa, only they're called pork tenderloins. And they're way better than this!"

Side story, I lived with a girl who was a Naval brat and she came from Youkosuka, Japan where her dad was stationed. She was showing me some pics she brought of her and her friends from HS, and they all had "Kinnick Football" and "Kinnick Wrestling" shirts on. I asked, "Kinnick, like Nile Kinnick?" She said, "yeah...Nile C. Kinnick was the name of my high school. He was some naval hero or something. You know of him?" I said, "OMG, you have no idea!" I pulled up pictures of Kinnick Stadium, the statue, and told her how revered he was in Iowa.

CSB.
I saw that hs when I was there in 1984. Had completely forgotten about it.

I just can't believe how many times I need to explain that ketchup serves only one purpose, french fries. Why ruin a perfectly good tenderloin with the poor's poor condiment.

Pickles for sure. Maybe mustard and onions. Ketchup....hell to the no. People that eat it with ketchup have the same respect that I have that cook their steaks in the microwave and eat baked potatoes with ketchup.

I just can't believe how many times I need to explain that ketchup serves only one purpose, french fries. Why ruin a perfectly good tenderloin with the poor's poor condiment.

Pickles for sure. Maybe mustard and onions. Ketchup....hell to the no. People that eat it with ketchup have the same respect that I have that cook their steaks in the microwave and eat baked potatoes with ketchup.
You forgot burgers. Nearly inedible without ketchup. Along with mustard, onions, pickles, lettuce of course.

Thats like saying “you don’t like skirt steak?? Skirt steak is the best steak.”

Those assholes raised the price of skirt steak by 100% after they learned how to cook and cut it. I don’t think anybody would say it’s the best steak, just underrated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT