ADVERTISEMENT

FRL Today "Spencer is not sick".

Mar 24, 2016
Willie and CP fervently stated that Spencer Lee is not sick or injured.

I'm not sure how they can make that claim unless someone on the Iowa staff or inside the room explicitly told them that's the case.

I just thought it was surprising for them to go as far as to give a confident statement on the status of Spencer Lee's health.

Why doesn’t someone just ask Spencer himself? See what the dude says... Surely there’s a poster on here that is a college student and has a class with him..

Why doesn’t someone just ask Spencer himself? See what the dude says... Surely there’s a poster on here that is a college student and has a class with him..
That's the thing. Assuming the FLO guys are doing their job, it was interesting they were so definitive on saying Spencer was not sick. That is very different than the statements here.

Like others of had said, we’ve seen this play out before in the Iowa program. People were saying McDonough had regressed his senior year and that others had closed the gap. McDonough himself and Brands repeatedly said throughout the year that he was fine and good to go. It was obvious to most Iowa fans though something wasn’t right with him. After the season was over he got surgery.

It should be obvious that the answer you’ll get from Brands and Lee are that he’s fine. That’s Brand’s MO, always has been. They’re not going to give any excuses.

Yep Lee is 100 percent. And been all year. So the drop-off is the coaching. Or he can’t make weight. Or the field caught up. Or he is burned out so won’t train. Or he is mentally weak. Or scared of big mayches. Really?! Um OK. Like the coaches or Lee would ever say a word. Remember Matt? Everybody speculated on everything until after the season and he needed shoulder surgery after the year. Just stop. Gives them and other fan bases clicks. He is not 100 percent “but a tough son of a gun and be fine in March.” And a hope that is true.

Anyone who listens to anything those anti-Iowa idiots say isn't real smart. I personally, with 2 buddies, watched lil willie cheer every time an Iowa guy lost in Oklahoma City. Piles, lol, came and said it didn't happen. I saw it with my own eyes. They don't like Iowa, the only reason there is pro Iowa stuff on Flo is because we have the largest fanbase in college wrestling therefore the most money for Flo.

That's the thing. Assuming the FLO guys are doing their job, it was interesting they were so definitive on saying Spencer was not sick. That is very different than the statements here.

They can't exactly lie about it either. Posters on a message board sure can though.

Reactions: bigs22
Did anybody read the article on Desanto and Lee from a week or two ago? In it Tom Brands brought up Lee's health but didn't go into details.
Section from the article:

The way Tom Brands puts it, Lee needs to treat every July like an Olympics year, not like the dog days of summer. He doesn't want Lee thinking he can just flip a switch when the big meets arrive. That, plus some previously undisclosed issues, led to Lee's 7-3 December loss to Northwestern’s Sebastian Rivera.

“The thing is, he understands it’s about getting better,” Brands said. “He had a rough go at the beginning of the year. He was sick, he was hurt, he was banged up, beat up. We don’t talk about that a lot in our program. I don’t make that known. It's nobody's business.”

Here's the link to the article. But yeah, no one from the staff or team is going to go into any specifics until the season is complete. Also you had Ironside say on that podcast a few days after midlands that Lee was sick with something monolike and that he missed a few weeks of training because of it. Also read a tweet from some undergrad at Iowa who said Ironside told him Lee spent a few nights in the hospital.
My guess is that the effects from the illness are probably lingering in terms of his energy, as well as Lee's conditioning being hindered from putting the weight back on that he lost. Throw in a weight cut and you have Lee gassing in the second periods of matches. Personally I'm confident he'll be good for NCAA's to repeat as 4 weeks is a long time.

Like others of had said, we’ve seen this play out before in the Iowa program. People were saying McDonough had regressed his senior year and that others had closed the gap. McDonough himself and Brands repeatedly said throughout the year that he was fine and good to go. It was obvious to most Iowa fans though something wasn’t right with him. After the season was over he got surgery.

It should be obvious that the answer you’ll get from Brands and Lee are that he’s fine. That’s Brand’s MO, always has been. They’re not going to give any excuses.
I remember the crap that some PSU fans gave us about McD's health. When he had his surgery, all we heard then was crickets. Brands never betrays his guys health issues, and he won't here again. Lee will try the best he can. I believe he always does.

So you think Spencer or Brands told them he is healthy? And if so, do you think they'd answer that openly and honestly even if he were dealing with something?

Cancel FLO, best free advice you’ll get. Not sure why any wrestling fan would listen to their garbage. The analysis is terrible, and the opinions are worse.
Canceling flo is about the worst advice you could give a wrestling fan. You don’t like what they say so punish yourself by not watching all the great content they have. You could just not listen to FRL and then you wouldn’t get so easily offended.

I agree with everything being said here btw. I just was shocked that they would make a statement with such certainty when it's very, very unlikely they had the Intel necessary in order to make that statement.

Ofc like all good journalists they didn't mention a source.

I agree with everything being said here btw. I just was shocked that they would make a statement with such certainty when it's very, very unlikely they had the Intel necessary in order to make that statement.

I will double down and say anyone who thinks Lee is 100% immediately slots themselves in the bottom 1% of wrestling IQs. Maybe the bottom .1%. That group has a unique level of stupidity.

Canceling flo is about the worst advice you could give a wrestling fan. You don’t like what they say so punish yourself by not watching all the great content they have. You could just not listen to FRL and then you wouldn’t get so easily offended.

ESPN and BTN offer plenty of wrestling. Without the garbage of FLO

FRL has no more legitimacy than most of the conversations on this board. It’s just another media base trying to sell their brand click bait nothing more.

Edit\ I also still subscribe to Flo it has the most wrestling that can be viewed I can watch wrestling and related videos all year long it’s worth the subscription IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chips28
I drafted Tom Brady in my Fantasy draft & I got a massage at a Spa last week. I am more than qualified to be an NFL owner.

Where is the credibilty at Flo? Willie? CP?

That’s right. ****ing National Enquirer of Wrestling. ZERO credibility.

Yeah, this. Pretty much what I was saying.

When smalls are CP are proven wrong in a few months, I'm curious if they will mention anything about it or admit to being wrong.

We're beating the sh*t out of a dead horse here but FRL really brought this on themselves. Not that they care.

I'm not sure how they can make that claim unless someone on the Iowa staff or inside the room explicitly told them that's the case.

I just thought it was surprising for them to go as far as to give a confident statement on the status of Spencer Lee's health.
Thats like me sayings spencer is not sick or injured lmfao. They don't know shit

They seemed pretty sure. It was on the internet, it must be true. Especially after they trashed the competition about how they were so out of touch with the pulse of wrestling for the first 15 minutes of the show. Who wants to listen to that dribble? Stay on point.

Easy to be at the devils right hand than in his path.
Iowa strings 4 titles together, FloWrestling becomes IowaWrestling over night.

They don’t know anything about Lee other than what they have been told by outsiders or read on boards. They are “journalists. They promote controversy to sell a product. Waste of $100.

Easy to be at the devils right hand than in his path.
Iowa strings 4 titles together, FloWrestling becomes IowaWrestling over night.

They don’t know anything about Lee other than what they have been told by outsiders or read on boards. They are “journalists. They promote controversy to sell a product. Waste of $100.

A shit product.

The people saying to cancel flo are ridiculous and I hope they do. Maybe they’ll be less idiotic posts on this board when they don’t get to watch the duals. I also don’t get why posters bashed flo for caring enough to buy the rights to the OSU/Iowa dual instead of ESPN. ESPN simply doesn't care enough about wrestling. If they wanted the rights to last weekend’s dual they would’ve had them. Flo gives wrestling fans the ability to watch more wrestling content than ever.

You totally inflate everything and make it personal ! You are the reason Trolls come around you are like a magnet! If I didn't know better your the Northwestern junky to! Damn dude chill out get a better hobby other than stoking a burning flame.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
#1 Flo is the best product out there, by a wide margin - do you have an alternative?
#2 Spencer is off for reasons unknown, maybe multiple small contributors
#3 My money is on him being 'fully' back for Nationals
#4 The whole team had an off night in Stillwater, it happens
#5 Enjoy what you have in Spencer, the Bull, Lugo and the rest. The team is solid top to bottom

If Spencer had an illness or injury, and from my eyes he does/did, then gassing is understandable, even expected. My concern is that the gassing becomes mental like I recall it did for Andrew Alton. He knew he might gas in the 3rd so he tried harder in the first, which just led to him gassing in the 2nd. I hope Spencer can get past this in three weeks. He is a joy to watch.

Reactions: artradley
If Spencer had an illness or injury, and from my eyes he does/did, then gassing is understandable, even expected. My concern is that the gassing becomes mental like I recall it did for Andrew Alton. He knew he might gas in the 3rd so he tried harder in the first, which just led to him gassing in the 2nd. I hope Spencer can get past this in three weeks. He is a joy to watch.
Spencer Lee is NOT Andrew Alton. Spencer and Company are working things out what ever that might be. Even if he does not win the championship this year we have his back 100% and he will come back stronger for it ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT