ADVERTISEMENT

From gambling allegations to this---Cody Chittum be gone? What's next?

WTF. What do you mean "standard"?

$30k/month is ridiculous. This NIL crap needs to be fixed.
giphy.gif

Ummm...how many high schools did A.J., Anthony, and Angelo attend? And Angelo is not done yet.

giphy.gif
From a little quick googling this is what I came up with. I'm sure someone can fill in any blanks that may be missing.

Angelo
2 years at Stillwater 2020-2021 & 2021-2022
2 years at Melissa, TX 2022-2023 & 2023-2024 (Edit: Maybe I shouldn't automatically include Melissa in 2023-2024, because there were rumors he might enroll at Iowa City High, if he commits to Iowa)

Anthony
FR Year at Blair 2018-2019 (transferred to Bergen with AJ mid season - possibly due to incident with Chittum?)
Looks like they left Bergen and went back to Texas prior to 2019-2020 season.
JR Year at Stillwater 2020-2021
SR Year at Stillwater 2021-2022

AJ
FR Year at Allen TX 2016-2017
SO Year at Allen TX 2017-2018
JR Year at Blair 2018-2019 / Other half of JR year at Bergen
SR Year back in Texas

Last edited:
V,

Would be good to address you as your name.

I disagree. Nagao got the standard 30K a month at PSU, the most any school offered. If you can supply the contract for less than that, I'll concede. He'd have been a nice get, but there are other fish in the sea.

Tom did not screw up on Chittum. In a different way, he took a chance on him. Chittum's Dad(handler) produced quite the HS resume of school hopping. Then, instead of signing with Iowa, Dad insisted on a gray shirt year to keep his options open. Cody loved Iowa and Iowa loved Cody. Dad gets upset the F's were recruited and started shopping again. He goes to Iowa State with: a free transfer year, a RS year to cover the next transfer, a med RS in case the worst happens, and potentially an Oly RS year in 2027. Care to bet the over/under on how long he stays in L'Ames?

I say fine, he can do what he wants. Personally and professionally I disagree. I'd be happy to share a beer with you on this as it takes too long to type.

Yes, I was disappointed Chittum left, like everyone here. However, I feel this program is on the right path, and no excuses need to be made. You have alleged athletes were going to leave the program due to this, yet none have. In fact, I can't remember anyone leaving in recent memory. It seems to me you have a large bone to pick, and are wearing it out.

If any of the F's come, I believe ground rules will apply for the entire family. They too have to be let in by the U, and as Anthony found out that's not a given. If they don't we'll find other guys to fill the goal of a finalist at every weight. You are free to believe what you want.
Bob , How dare you come on here and state facts and layout the course of events as how they actually occurred !!! Most of the PSU fans would much rather deal in internet rumors and Iowa haters facts ( Mineo and Small 1 ) than rely on any thing that bears listening to. They can justify Carl taking Andrew Long to PSU to help them win a title but God Forbid anyone with any kind of background visits Iowa because its a sign that the Iowa program is burning down... Trust me when I say the answer to most of these PSU successes are the HUGE amounts of $$$ that Ira Lubert has dumped into the program....the PSU Buying power is 2nd to none right now and the NCAA has sanctioned it since they couldnt control it.

Let me try the crude math here. Let’s take the $30k/month at face value, but say it’s paid only over the 5 months of competition, or $150k/year. And because we’re saying it’s “standard” that would imply most performing at the level of Nagao are getting the same. That’s about 8 total wrestlers (again, being conservative). That puts us at $1.2MM/year. Assuming this is paid from what’s effectively an endowment, and these generally use about 5%/year as operating income, the endowment would be on the order of $24MM. Again, conservatively. If they’re getting the $30k year-round, and there are 10 guys in that class, then we’re looking at $72MM.

Seems reasonable, right?

Let me try the crude math here. Let’s take the $30k/month at face value, but say it’s paid only over the 5 months of competition, or $150k/year. And because we’re saying it’s “standard” that would imply most performing at the level of Nagao are getting the same. That’s about 8 total wrestlers (again, being conservative). That puts us at $1.2MM/year. Assuming this is paid from what’s effectively an endowment, and these generally use about 5%/year as operating income, the endowment would be on the order of $24MM. Again, conservatively. If they’re getting the $30k year-round, and there are 10 guys in that class, then we’re looking at $72MM.

Seems reasonable, right?
That's because @bnicolls is secretly in cahoots with Ira and they are funding this together. That's how Bob knows so much. I'd be careful about this guy Hawk fans!
giphy.gif

V,

Would be good to address you as your name.

I disagree. Nagao got the standard 30K a month at PSU, the most any school offered. If you can supply the contract for less than that, I'll concede. He'd have been a nice get, but there are other fish in the sea.

Tom did not screw up on Chittum. In a different way, he took a chance on him. Chittum's Dad(handler) produced quite the HS resume of school hopping. Then, instead of signing with Iowa, Dad insisted on a gray shirt year to keep his options open. Cody loved Iowa and Iowa loved Cody. Dad gets upset the F's were recruited and started shopping again. He goes to Iowa State with: a free transfer year, a RS year to cover the next transfer, a med RS in case the worst happens, and potentially an Oly RS year in 2027. Care to bet the over/under on how long he stays in L'Ames?

I say fine, he can do what he wants. Personally and professionally I disagree. I'd be happy to share a beer with you on this as it takes too long to type.

Yes, I was disappointed Chittum left, like everyone here. However, I feel this program is on the right path, and no excuses need to be made. You have alleged athletes were going to leave the program due to this, yet none have. In fact, I can't remember anyone leaving in recent memory. It seems to me you have a large bone to pick, and are wearing it out.

If any of the F's come, I believe ground rules will apply for the entire family. They too have to be let in by the U, and as Anthony found out that's not a given. If they don't we'll find other guys to fill the goal of a finalist at every weight. You are free to believe what you want.

I get where you're coming from. But even as this played out - we lost Chittum for the specific reason of recruiting Ferrari.
In a race for recruits - we just shouldn't be hitching our wagon to the Ferrari family.

So I don't necessarily have an axe to grind against Tom, I've stated from the beginning that this was a bad decision. And the facts bear out that it is. Losing Chittum, Anthony didn't get in - and those are facts.

And while there seems to be some justification that it was the Dad, he's a handler, blah, blah - you just admitted that that's why he left. So while its nice, in theory, to say things like, "Oh, the dad is just a handler and controls his son too much." - THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED.

I just truly don't get Tom's fascination with the Ferrari family. It's costing us recruits, and our reputation is getting HAMMERED. And we need that reputation to get transfers and recruits.

I get where you're coming from. But even as this played out - we lost Chittum for the specific reason of recruiting Ferrari.
In a race for recruits - we just shouldn't be hitching our wagon to the Ferrari family.

So I don't necessarily have an axe to grind against Tom, I've stated from the beginning that this was a bad decision. And the facts bear out that it is. Losing Chittum, Anthony didn't get in - and those are facts.

And while there seems to be some justification that it was the Dad, he's a handler, blah, blah - you just admitted that that's why he left. So while its nice, in theory, to say things like, "Oh, the dad is just a handler and controls his son too much." - THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED.

I just truly don't get Tom's fascination with the Ferrari family. It's costing us recruits, and our reputation is getting HAMMERED. And we need that reputation to get transfers and recruits.
I have an old saying, reasons don't matter, what happens matters. People always come up with reasons for decisions after the fact, but you have to look more at what the decision is.

So Chittum leaves and gives a reason, people disagree with his decision and try to come up with some reason different in his stated reason.

Maybe it's a complicated form of sour grapes, but either way the kid left for whatever his reason is. So I couldn't hold onto this recruit, maybe the kid is flighty. Or maybe the stuff about the Ferraris is true, he's had dealings with at least one of them, and there's no way he wants to be around those people.

I know some women that were sexually harassed at work so they left and got a different job. These are people I know, and I trust their stories so you could say what you want about why they left, but they still left. And when you see them stay at other jobs for a lengthy period of time, it lends credence to their story. No matter what anyone says about the kid he still left. Now the Iowa coaching staff cannot control that kid's decision. All they could do is look at how they handled things, and if they played some kind of part in his decision , maybe they could correct course and handle things better in the future. But they will have to be honest with themselves and see if any of their actions caused this recruit to leave.

Last edited:
WTF. What do you mean "standard"?

$30k/month is ridiculous. This NIL crap needs to be fixed.
Lol that shocked me as well. That's way more than I was expecting. If true, in my mind that means PSU is paying nearly all of their starters about $350k a year. If not, wouldn't that build resentment and lead to more portal moves if Nagao gets $350k as a transfer and you aren't making that much as a returning champ/AA?

Crazy. First time I've heard a hard number thrown out on NIL payment for a wrestler.

At least you admit that you, a very significant donor, is endorsing and advising the Ferrari's to your program. Seems to be going swimmingly.

at no point in time did i come close to saying this
Jimmy O

Many on here were/are for seeing if the sports cars would fit in IC. I posted "for" when I heard about it here.

You used the word "Orchestrate". This implies I have some sort of decision making power, which I don't. I do support Tom running the program as he sees fit.

Last edited:
Lol that shocked me as well. That's way more than I was expecting. If true, in my mind that means PSU is paying nearly all of their starters about $350k a year. If not, wouldn't that build resentment and lead to more portal moves if Nagao gets $350k as a transfer and you aren't making that much as a returning champ/AA?

Crazy. First time I've heard a hard number thrown out on NIL payment for a wrestler.
Those numbers are not accurate.

Seems reasonable, right?
Ira can handle it

V

We agree on a few things and disagree on others. Let's leave it at that. Happy to have a beer with you on May 31. LMK

Only one person here threw out numbers. I did some back of the envelope math above. Let me know if you think funding at a level equivalent to a $24MM - $72MM endowment makes sense to you. Weren’t you in the discussion regarding the NLWC financials a while back? How does this compare … ?
All of the PSU'ers ganging up and flamethrowing every post. They have much to gain in trying to divide the Hawk fans. We don't need their intervention. We are capable of doing damage on our own.

All of the PSU'ers ganging up and flamethrowing every post. They have much to gain in trying to divide the Hawk fans. We don't need their intervention. We are capable of doing damage on our own.
I’m just trying to complete the picture on what the new world order is in the sport we follow, leaning on the one person here that seems to know the most.

Chit never signed. If he did, Daddy would lose control to the very end. Daddy kept his options open. No way I'd put up with giving up control to a parent or any self respecting coach/person/businessman
This. what does this mean? it reads as if you are saying they were holding out for a better deal.

also - signed what?

the way i'm told Iowa never put an offer in front of him.

This. what does this mean? it reads as if you are saying they were holding out for a better deal.

also - signed what?

the way i'm told Iowa never put an offer in front of him.
I didn't put anything in re $$$$

Chits Dad clearly wants to be involved and have a say.
See the reason he went to ISU. Again, fine leave as giving control to a parent outside of what the program wants to do is a non-starter if I was the coach.

He never signed an NLI. Waited and waited to keep options open.

Again, wish he'd be at Iowa, good luck at ISU, but giving up control to a parent can't happen.

Iowa didn't give up control to Spencer?

What were Cody's/Shane's 'demands' that were 'a non starter' for TNT? are you saying they wanted an NIL deal/money amount that the program thought was overvalued?

what was it? weekends off? extra gear? what special circumstances did the Chittums want that were beyond the scope of signing an athlete that's been training there for 6 months?

i find it difficult to believe that Iowa couldn't close the deal on what some people consider the #1 incoming recruit b/c of finances.

if you are assuming i'm calling bs on this, i am.

also, was an offer ever put in front of Cody?

tia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sullivan and el dub

Are you asking about only a national letter of intent wherein specific scholarship terms would be identified?

That would be all Iowa might have offered under NCAA rules, if I understand them correctly.

Or are you also asking about Name, Image, and Likeness sponsorships and using Iowa more broadly than the University? Those could potentially also require signatures.

Or are you also asking about "dark money" types of promises for a place in the HWC, which wouldn't likely have signatories?

It's hard for me to tell whether the exchange is honestly talking passed one another or not.

I'm talking about NLI - w/ scholarship contract.

was one ever presented to Cody?

the Class of 2023 commits have all signed theirs.

Reactions: el dub

What were Cody's/Shane's 'demands' that were 'a non starter' for TNT? are you saying they wanted an NIL deal/money amount that the program thought was overvalued?

what was it? weekends off? extra gear? what special circumstances did the Chittums want that were beyond the scope of signing an athlete that's been training there for 6 months?

i find it difficult to believe that Iowa couldn't close the deal on what some people consider the #1 incoming recruit b/c of finances.

if you are assuming i'm calling bs on this, i am.

tia.
I wouldn't know about most of these things being just a fan. However, many reports about Dad Chit not wanting anything to do with F's. Non-starter there in my mind to have a parent telling a coach what to do.

Call BS on whatever you want. Like water off a ducks back to me

you'd make a terrible wrestler, mr. nicolls. you're flopping more than a fish.

was it the deal? or was it the ferraris? make up your mind.
Both. The Ferraris are just the excuse. For the biggest brain in wrestling you sure haven’t a clue about this situation. Go back to bashing kids while you’re drunk on Twitter you fat puke.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know about most of these things being just a fan. However, many reports about Dad Chit not wanting anything to do with F's. Non-starter there in my mind to have a parent telling a coach what to do.

Call BS on whatever you want. Like water off a ducks back to me
Please quit engaging this idiot Bob….

Signed,

Every single true Hawkeye fan.

Both. The Ferraris are just the excuse. For the biggest brain in wrestling you sure haven’t a clue about this situation. Go back to bashing kids while you’re drunk on Twitter you fat puke.
Weird how he hasn't gone back to that thread to explain that tweet or why he deleted it, yet has plenty of time to respond in this thread and others. Quite the "journalist", isn't he?

Weird how he hasn't gone back to that thread to explain that tweet or why he deleted it, yet has plenty of time to respond in this thread and others. Quite the "journalist", isn't he?
Yeah, but I don’t give a shit…. Absolutely nothing he says matters to anyone that matters in our program. It’s just hate filled rhetoric. Pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT