ADVERTISEMENT

FSU & Clemson Decide Tomorrow on 8/15

ND to the B1G to make it 20 would be ideal. I think now that there are so many large name teams in the B1G, we tell conference schools that they can't schedule ND as a non-conference game in the future. If ND wants to play power teams in the Midwest, join the B1G. Otherwise, play your games against the service academies, what may be left of the ACC or travel down to SEC country if you want big opponents.

I’m not taking Stanford without a commitment from ND.
Well we're gonna need another western team to balance out any impending divisional breakups, unless the B10 wants to go full potato and have one full 20-team league with some bullsh** excuse for reasoning towards determining the two teams that play for the CCG.........

Who do you want?

Until the NCAA grows a pair and tells them no playoffs unless they are in a conference, they will remain independent.

The NCAA and other entities need to stop bending over backwards for them.

Until the NCAA grows a pair and tells them no playoffs unless they are in a conference, they will remain independent.

for arguments sake, if they go undefeated with that schedule, I'd say they deserve a spot. Ohio State, USC, and Clemson wins.

• Wow
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
SEC is now at 16 teams.

I would bet FSU, Clemson, North Carolina & Miami all join SEC tomorrow.

Then B1G invites Stanford to join the B1G putting the B1G at 19 teams.

Then ND must make a decision.

NBC wants ND to increase quality of games.
Stanford isn't coming. Unless Notre Dame says they are their spouse and must come along.

Well we're gonna need another western team to balance out any impending divisional breakups, unless the B10 wants to go full potato and have one full 20-team league with some bullsh** excuse for reasoning towards determining the two teams that play for the CCG.........

Who do you want?
Pepperdine, lol. Get the richie rich richies.

You realize the NCAA has zero power when it comes to football. The NCAA wasn't involved in the BCS, was not involved in the CFP, and will not be involved going forward. The conferences have all the power.

The NCAA sponsors NC at the FCS, D2, and D3 level and championships in all other sports but not major CFB.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I don’t know about Utah?

There aren’t many things I can say with near 100% confidence, but one of them is that if the B1G plucks one team from the ACC some day, it won’t be Pitt.
Both are research institutions. There are others out there, but Pitt is a fit for the mid-west, maybe Virginia instead of Utah. Just throwing shite out there. ;)

You realize the NCAA has zero power when it comes to football. The NCAA wasn't involved in the BCS, was not involved in the CFP, and will not be involved going forward. The conferences have all the power.

The NCAA sponsors NC at the FCS, D2, and D3 level and championships in all other sports but not major CFB.
Doesn't matter who makes the decision and that's not the point....NCAA, conferences.....whoever....ND needs to be excluded from the playoffs unless they are in a conference. Period.

What are we going with for a conference name of the teams left out?
1.) leftovers
2.) Coast to Coast
3.) Stepchildren

Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
Wazzu
Pitt
Lousiville
Boston College
Duke
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Syracuse
NC State

I don’t know about Utah?

There aren’t many things I can say with near 100% confidence, but one of them is that if the B1G plucks one team from the ACC some day, it won’t be Pitt.
They bring nothing. The campus is smack dab between tOSU and Penn State. The B1G already has that market

FSU won't announce tomorrow, IMO. 2024 will be the last year in the ACC, and will join the SEC (even though I prefer the Big 10) in 2025. I think the Big 10 adds UVA and UNC, SEC adds FSU and Clemson (I don't know that there's enough value in adding anyone else and they'll be fine with 18 teams).

FSU won't announce tomorrow, IMO. 2024 will be the last year in the ACC, and will join the SEC (even though I prefer the Big 10) in 2025. I think the Big 10 adds UVA and UNC, SEC adds FSU and Clemson (I don't know that there's enough value in adding anyone else and they'll be fine with 18 teams).
Where is Miami going?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Yes, the ACC has been granted ownership of each schools TV rights through 2036.

If there was a way out of a GOR, Texas and Oklahoma surely would have left early. But they couldn't.

Texas has an endowment at $42B that is more than twice that of every other public school in the country. TAMU second at $18B and Michigan third at $17B.

FSU has $700M. Clemson $1B.

Yet, somehow Texas had to stay, but the rednecks running FSU are going to escape?

• Wow
Reactions: NevadaHawk

If there was a way out of a GOR, Texas and Oklahoma surely would have left early. But they couldn't.

Texas has an endowment at $42B that is more than twice that of every other public school in the country. TAMU second at $18B and Michigan third at $17B.

Yet, somehow Texas had to stay, but the rednecks running FSU are going to escape?
There is a guy on the off topic board named FSUTribe76 that says he's a lawyer and is 99% certain the GOR can "easily" be broken. Of course he is full of it (as are the majority of the Florida State fans, most of whom came to our OT board because they weren't allowed to spew their political garbage on their own board).

If it is so "easily" broken it would have been done by now.

if no ND, then no Stanford.

I’d like to think UNC has more self respect than to join the “academics optional” SEC. They would make more $$$ in the B1G and if Virginia came along it would be a great tandem addition.

Also, I agree that the B1G wants a Florida school…FSU probably the primary target, but would take Miami if the only option. I personally wouldn’t be opposed to both.

Take Duke and GT to round it out to 24 if ND remains stubborn and refuses to join a conference.

*all of those schools save FSU are AAU members btw

Reactions: ClarindaA's

The ACC buyout isn't the hangup, it's the TV rights. If the Big 10 wanted FSU & Clemson (bring them in as a full member), don't be shocked to see ESPN use the TV rights of those schools as a bargaining chip to gain access to some Big 10 games (especially some of the West Coast market).

Last edited:
The GOR isn't the hangup, it's the TV rights. If the Big 10 wanted FSU & Clemson (bring them in as a full member), don't be shocked to see ESPN use the TV rights of those schools as a bargaining chip to gain access to some Big 10 games (especially some of the West Coast market).
Just sue ESPN for something. That's today's world.

Just sue ESPN for something. That's today's world.

There's a reason why this has been done in the order it has been. If it goes to court, FSU has shown, very publicly, that it "tried" to make it work. Alford didn't actually believe the Duke, Wake and BC's of the world would be ok with uneven revenue sharing, but he did it to show (I use that term loosely) the ACC that they didn't want to leave, and here's a solution. It's also why they've been public about the value FSU brings to the ACC vs the other schools.

The NCAA doesn't have the authority to do that.

The NCAA is NOT to be confused with the NFL. The NCAA is not a governing body - it doesn't make rules, they enforce them (poorly).

They are pretty much a toothless tiger because they were never given any teeth.

Reactions: Fan In Black
The ACC buyout isn't the hangup, it's the TV rights. If the Big 10 wanted FSU & Clemson (bring them in as a full member), don't be shocked to see ESPN use the TV rights of those schools as a bargaining chip to gain access to some Big 10 games (especially some of the West Coast market).

I never mentioned a buyout, I've been talking about TV rights. Texas's deep pockets and lawyers couldn't find a way out of the GOR, how do you think the FSU guys are going to do it?

ESPN owns FSU and Clemson rights until 2036. They aren't using them as a bargaining chip. They are keeping them and not giving them up. FSU and Clemson are locked in until 2036, same as UT and OU through 2023.

The NCAA doesn't have the authority to do that.

The NCAA is NOT to be confused with the NFL. The NCAA is not a governing body - it doesn't make rules, they enforce them (poorly).

They are pretty much a toothless tiger because they were never given any teeth.
I realize that. As I mentioned in a later thread when someone else was kind enough to point out my error....I don't care WHO makes the decision (NCAA, the conferences....whoever).....the point is......WHOEVER makes the decision needs to tell Notre Dame "no conference membership: no playoffs".

I erroneously said NCAA. That was not correct. Unlike some folks (not referring to you), I don't have a problem acknowledging a mistake.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
LOL good luck getting out of the ACC GOR.
It would require 8 teams to leave the ACC to break the GOR.

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

I never mentioned a buyout, I've been talking about TV rights. Texas's deep pockets and lawyers couldn't find a way out of the GOR, how do you think the FSU guys are going to do it?

ESPN owns FSU and Clemson rights until 2036. They aren't using them as a bargaining chip. They are keeping them and not giving them up. FSU and Clemson are locked in until 2036, same as UT and OU through 2023.

FSU will be in another conference for the 2025 season. Let's make a friendly wager to the other's NIL collective.

It would require 8 teams to leave the ACC to break the GOR.

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png
Yep. BTW...KSU is not "defending" champs. There's nothing to defend...last year's title is yours. Period.

This year everybody starts from scratch. Nobody....is the champ.

Both Florida State and Clemson are excellent academic institutions - while FSU did not get admitted to the AAU recently (Central Florida did, and it is political to a certain degree of course, there are some good articles talking about the snub), they are ranked #55 in U.S. News annual rankings, which is just below Purdue at #51. Clemson is ranked #77, between Indiana University and The University of Iowa. Not saying those rankings are the end all be all, but because a school is not AAU accredited does not automatically make it on par with UNL.

Reactions: amahawk
It ain't about playin' "School", it's about playin' FOOTBALL!!!!!!!
Bring back the old Southwest Conference!

Reactions: amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT