ADVERTISEMENT

FSU & Clemson Decide Tomorrow on 8/15

The NCAA doesn't have the authority to do that.

The NCAA is NOT to be confused with the NFL. The NCAA is not a governing body - it doesn't make rules, they enforce them (poorly).

They are pretty much a toothless tiger because they were never given any teeth.

What is the NCAA?​

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is a non-profit organization that governs and regulates intercollegiate athletics in the United States. The NCAA oversees more than 1,200 colleges and universities and their athletic programs.

The organization is responsible for creating and enforcing rules and regulations, organizing championships and tournaments, and promoting the well-being of student-athletes.

Why would the BIG choose FSU over Miami? Miami is a member of the AAU, bring in South Florida as a recruiting bed, more money...etc. IMO if the BIG is targeting a school from Florida, it should be Miami.

Except they don't bring in nearly the viewership numbers FSU does, so they don't bring in more $.

Both Florida State and Clemson are excellent academic institutions - while FSU did not get admitted to the AAU recently (Central Florida did, and it is political to a certain degree of course, there are some good articles talking about the snub), they are ranked #55 in U.S. News annual rankings, which is just below Purdue at #51. Clemson is ranked #77, between Indiana University and The University of Iowa. Not saying those rankings are the end all be all, but because a school is not AAU accredited does not automatically make it on par with UNL.

Sigh. I'll keep making sure it's challenged whenever someone insinuates it...

CLEMSON IS NOT NOW, OR EVER, BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE B1G

*yes, being in the AAU is like the #2 factor with any institution becoming a member; it's exactly how NL scammed it's way into the conference

What is the NCAA?​

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is a non-profit organization that governs and regulates intercollegiate athletics in the United States. The NCAA oversees more than 1,200 colleges and universities and their athletic programs.

The organization is responsible for creating and enforcing rules and regulations, organizing championships and tournaments, and promoting the well-being of student-athletes.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Except they don't bring in nearly the viewership numbers FSU does, so they don't bring in more $.
The south Florida market is much larger than north Florida, tv viewership is a small part of the tv revenue, that is why Rutgers was added, and you cannot tell me that Rutgers has huge viewership numbers. Miami and West Palm come in at #19 and #38.

Well it looks like I lost the bet. No movement by FSU.

Pat Forde thinks it will happen soon.

FSU

Florida State Exit Watch Continues Despite ACC’s 2024 Deadline Passing​

The Seminoles are expected to stay put for the 2024 season, but the conference is bracing for an attempted exit—with FSU potentially being followed by Clemson and others.

So many 'if no ND then no Stanford', I don't understand why some of you are pairing them together. Stanford would be a HUGE get on the academic side and they are loaded with money. Financially they could easily live with a partial cut until the new TV contract gets rolled out. They do expand the BTN footprint into the Bay Area.

I'm tired of the Big Ten begging Notre Dame, once in the conference they'd probably turn into another Nebraska and then we'd have to hear from their fans how great they were back in the day.

The south Florida market is much larger than north Florida, tv viewership is a small part of the tv revenue, that is why Rutgers was added, and you cannot tell me that Rutgers has huge viewership numbers. Miami and West Palm come in at #19 and #38.
I don't disagree on South Florida and Miami,

But I just can't see the B1G or the television companies that are driving this expansion letting 2 of the top 10 media markets get away when all is said and done:

Stanford / Cal (AAU Members)
Ga Tech (AAU Member)

2022 - 2023 DMA MARKET RANKINGS

I don't disagree on South Florida and Miami,

But I just can't see the B1G or the television companies that are driving this expansion letting 2 of the top 10 media markets get away when all is said and done:

Stanford / Cal (AAU Members)
Ga Tech (AAU Member)

2022 - 2023 DMA MARKET RANKINGS

The Atlanta market is delivered to the SEC by Georgia and the penumbra of SEC teams.

The idea that GA Tech brings Atlanta eyeballs is laughable.

Stanford/Cal don't really deliver the Bay Area. No one cares about them.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
The Atlanta market is delivered to the SEC by Georgia and the penumbra of SEC teams.

The idea that GA Tech brings Atlanta eyeballs is laughable.

Stanford/Cal don't really deliver the Bay Area. No one cares about them.
This has been discussed before, if you own the/a primary university in said market, you own (or get credit for) that media market. See Rutgers, PSU and even Iowa for examples.

So many 'if no ND then no Stanford', I don't understand why some of you are pairing them together. Stanford would be a HUGE get on the academic side and they are loaded with money. Financially they could easily live with a partial cut until the new TV contract gets rolled out. They do expand the BTN footprint into the Bay Area.
Just how it is, those two are tied together now. As one of ND’s longtime rivalries Stanford is nothing more than a bargaining chip to snag the big fish.

Also, without an ND “package deal” Stanford would most likely demand that their other longtime rival Cal be added, if for no other reason travel partner purposes. That most certainly will not happen. The SF bay market is not worth the double-dip like LA. If the B1G double-dips into another market it should be UNC-Duke. Much more attractive all the way around.

This has been discussed before, if you own the/a primary university in said market, you own (or get credit for) that media market. See Rutgers, PSU and even Iowa for examples.

Just how it is, those two are tied together now. As one of ND’s longtime rivalries Stanford is nothing more than a bargaining chip to snag the big fish.

Also, without an ND “package deal” Stanford would most likely demand that their other longtime rival Cal be added, if for no other reason travel partner purposes. That most certainly will not happen. The SF bay market is not worth the double-dip like LA. If the B1G double-dips into another market it should be UNC-Duke. Much more attractive all the way around.
Why would Stanford make demands like that? No way the Big Ten takes Cal

For those predicting FSU moves very soon, please map this out. What network is going to pay them big bucks with legality of their TV rights in question? What conference wants to invite them under a dark cloud?

ESPN surely is not going to pay extra to move FSU to the SEC while destroying their long ACC contract. The SEC has the University of Florida and others who do not want FSU to join, so why would they take on a risky legal maneuver to see them join?

So it is pretty clear the ESPN/SEC is not an option. Which leaves only FOX/B1G. I guess I can see that FOX would want FSU, but at what cost? Do they want a decent TV brand with a huge legal risk? Does the B1G want to challenge the ACC grant of rights and all the consequences that go with it? FSU is not such a huge catch that they would be willing to wade into a giant legal fight for it to happen.

I just don't see any place for FSU to land until 2036 or maybe 2034.

if no ND, then no Stanford.

I’d like to think UNC has more self respect than to join the “academics optional” SEC. They would make more $$$ in the B1G and if Virginia came along it would be a great tandem addition.

Also, I agree that the B1G wants a Florida school…FSU probably the primary target, but would take Miami if the only option. I personally wouldn’t be opposed to both.

Take Duke and GT to round it out to 24 if ND remains stubborn and refuses to join a conference.

*all of those schools save FSU are AAU members btw
You really think that UNC has "self respect" when it comes to academics, and yet they allowed ALL students access to fake classes, (according to the NCAA thats why they couldn't punish the Tar heels basketball, because all students had access to the same academic fraud)? Doesn't sound to me like they have anything on the SEC schools....

Reactions: Ronman
Ok, let me rephrase it, the idiot politicians in California (and possibly traditionalist alumni) will demand it.
Didn’t they already try this when USC and UCLA joined? I don’t think politicians would stop Stanford from joining the Big Ten.

Didn’t they already try this when USC and UCLA joined? I don’t think politicians would stop Stanford from joining the Big Ten.
I think they tried stopping UCLA from joining as there was a meeting of their Board of Regents. They obviously ended up letting them go to the Big Ten. I am sure there was grease involved with the skids.

I think they tried stopping UCLA from joining as there was a meeting of their Board of Regents. They obviously ended up letting them go to the Big Ten. I am sure there was grease involved with the skids.
Much like me “letting” my neighbor trim his trees. No matter how much I might like to think I have control over it; at the end of the day, I have none. 😉

maybe it's for the fight song?
I know that's why I was glad USC joined. Their fight song kicks a$$

After 2002 I swore I never wanted to hear the USC fight song again. So glad that we didn’t hear much of it in 2019.

I do like the ND fight song as it is my HS’s fight song as well.

I'm tired of the Big Ten begging Notre Dame, once in the conference they'd probably turn into another Nebraska and then we'd have to hear from their fans how great they were back in the day.
Isn’t the Bay Area just a cess pool of crime, homelessness, and people moving out in droves to red states?

You really think that UNC has "self respect" when it comes to academics, and yet they allowed ALL students access to fake classes, (according to the NCAA thats why they couldn't punish the Tar heels basketball, because all students had access to the same academic fraud)? Doesn't sound to me like they have anything on the SEC schools....
And all that time, poor clueless Roy knew nothing about it.

And all that time, poor clueless Roy knew nothing about it.
Yep. Good Old Roy. Same kind of shit was going on when he was at KU. Of course it was almost ingrained to cheat there by the cheaten SOB's who came before him. Kind of crazy that the schools that are the bluest of the blue bloods, are the biggest cheaters out there.....hmmm... :confused:

ND to the B1G to make it 20 would be ideal. I think now that there are so many large name teams in the B1G, we tell conference schools that they can't schedule ND as a non-conference game in the future. If ND wants to play power teams in the Midwest, join the B1G. Otherwise, play your games against the service academies, what may be left of the ACC or travel down to SEC country if you want big opponents.
As a fan of both Iowa (First) and ND (Second)...THIS IS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN. I am totally ok with ND doing what is in their best interest, but the BIG and it's institutions must do the same. The BIG would be the BEST conference, bar none, if the Irish were in it. But, if ND wants to play any of the BIG teams out of conference, then ND (and NBC) are going to have to make some decisions. Let's be clear, it is NBC who is pulling ND's strings. If NBC tells ND that they aren't going to pay them this massive amount of money, that would be a good push for ND to do something. Although, lets be honest about another thing.....if NBC did do that, someone else would probably step up and throw craploads of money at the Irish. UGH!

Do they have TV's? That's where the revenue comes from.
If the Bay Area is so lucrative, why was the Pac12 media deal offered so terrible? I don’t understand why we would bring in Stanford. They have little football support, which is what matters for realignment.

Even bringing in FSU helps out FSU more than the current Big Ten teams. Why not play out the contract and let our current teams spend the next 7 years making way more money than FSU/ACC. Then our current teams become more valuable relative to FSU/ACC. To me that’s better competitively for the conference than getting an extra million or two and strengthening a non-member.

If the Bay Area is so lucrative, why was the Pac12 media deal offered so terrible? I don’t understand why we would bring in Stanford. They have little football support, which is what matters for realignment.

Even bringing in FSU helps out FSU more than the current Big Ten teams. Why not play out the contract and let our current teams spend the next 7 years making way more money than FSU/ACC. Then our current teams become more valuable relative to FSU/ACC. To me that’s better competitively for the conference than getting an extra million or two and strengthening a non-member.

I wouldn't call it "lucrative" but the way they structured the BTN revenues is the bigger the footprint then the more they can charge cable companies like DirecTV to carry the BTN in those areas. For expansion to make sense adding the school's market has to pay enough so it covers their fair share and not take away from the existing Big Ten schools revenue. This is why the Big Ten added USC and UCLA, adding the Los Angeles market plus adding a nationally recognized name like USC not only paid to bring them in but likely expanded all their revenues.

If football support is what matters for realignment then the Big Ten would have never added Rutgers or Maryland. Adding both of those schools was done solely to expand the BTN footprint into the Baltimore, DC, and New York markets.

Edit - According to Nielsen DMA ranking the Bay Area market is the 10th largest in the country. You would think the BTN/Fox would want that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT