ADVERTISEMENT

FSU fans - what's the loudest you've ever heard Doak Campbell?

And then ripped down Minnesota’s goal posts and carried them out of the metrodome.
That was a different year I believe. I wasn't there for the goalpost fiasco but I was part of the noise. I was also there when Michael Burger dropped the ball right before the goal line and I forget who recovered in the end zone.

1993 UM. They had kept us from the title for years. Was a madhouse.

This would be it for me too. My seats were lowish, in the end zone, so that made it considerably louder. When Frier's touchdown was straight toward us, and it was the cacophony of a stadium full of demons being exorcised.

The loudest stadium experience I ever had though was at UF in 93, ten seconds before Ward to Dunn. I was in literally the first row in the end zone on that (I can point myself out to my kids on extra points on the replay), and it was insanely loud on the field the couple plays before Ward and Dunn put it away. It was bizarre because the play went away from us, so being so low in the endzone, we couldn't see what was happening much beyond the completion. But you could see the entire crowd sitting down as Ward raced down the sideline, like a reverse wave, ending in a deafening silence.

93 was my last season there, and after that I've only made it to 1-2 games a year, and with kids, so we almost always picked low stakes games with a thinner crowd and hopefully a guaranteed win, so I really haven't experienced a bonkers crowd there since I graduated.

When we hosted Oklahoma in 2011. Officials had to stop play because OU could not hear the signals. And each time they stopped play it just got louder.
I'm pretty sure the NCAA got rid of that stupid rule in the mid '00s. The refs should not have been enforcing it in 2011. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it was wrong and dumb. It cost Iowa a game against Michigan when Harbaugh was their Qb in the 80s.

In my years as a student I think the 02 UF game when pope pick six’d Rexy was the loudest followed by the 03 NC St game.

The loudest I’ve ever heard a stadium period was when Bennie Alexander pick six’d Weinke in the 99 game at the swamp. Sounded like a bomb went off.

Reactions: punkrun
When we hosted Oklahoma in 2011. Officials had to stop play because OU could not hear the signals. And each time they stopped play it just got louder.

That OU game was the first game that came to mind. Some others for me are the Choke at Doak ('94 tie vs UF) and the '96 UF Game. I think it was 2000 when Weinke threw that 98 or 99 yard TD pass against Clemson. That play was pretty loud. Some other loud plays are the one where our kicker (Scott Bentley) chased a clemson player down from behind after they had scooped up a block field goal attempt. Multiple Tamarick Vanover returns against UF where Spurrier refused to kick away from him and he averaged something like 70 yards a return.

Last edited:
This was pretty loud as well…

I was in the student section in that end zone a couple rows from the field. We all saw that Weinke still had the ball and started going apeshit before he even threw the pass. We had an around-the-world party with a bunch of houses before the game, so we were already rowdy as hell! Thanks for posting, I had forgotten about that memory over the years.

Was that the Rooster game? Or the one where we basically killed Wuerffel? Both of those were deafening.
Wuerffel "hit till the echo of the whistle" was 96 and dubbed game of the century, 1 vs 2. Goalposts came down and made their way to Tenn St.

98 was the Rooster game (Weinke had a broken neck). The teams got into a fight before the game, they lost a starter and we lost 2 scrubs to ejection. Doug Johnson tried hitting Bobby with a football but missed. When a reporter asked Bobby what he'd do if it was his qb that tried to hit Spurrier he said, "He woulda hit him!".

Last edited:
Wuerffel "hit till the echoe of the whistle" was 96 and dubbed game of the century, 1 vs 2. Goalposts came down and made their way to Tenn St.

98 was the Rooster game (Weinke had a broken neck). The teams got into a fight before the game, they lost a starter and we lost 2 scrubs to ejection. Doug Johnson tried hitting Bobby with a football but missed. When a reporter asked Bobby what he'd do if it was his qb that tried to hit Spurrier he said, "He woulda hit him!".

Don’t forget Weinke was a back-up as well. Dan Kendra was going to be the starter until he blew his knee at the spring game. National Championship game against Tennessee with the third string QB and we were hanging tough, until Richt decides to call a deep out with a noodle arm QB

At the 11 Oklahoma game, many of us started drinking around 6 AM for the 8 PM kick. Still not sure how I made that game. It was a marathon. CSB.
I stopped at a tailgate where I knew exactly one person. Ended up doing shots (honestly I’m a one drink person) and getting into it and the tailgate ended up being selected as the “Publix Tailgate of the Week”, flashed on the screen at Doak.
My grown children had partied at another tailgate. They see their Mother flashed up there at some rando fraternity Alumni party and the teasing did not stop for years.

In my years as a student I think the 02 UF game when pope pick six’d Rexy was the loudest followed by the 03 NC St game.

The loudest I’ve ever heard a stadium period was when Bennie Alexander pick six’d Weinke in the 99 game at the swamp. Sounded like a bomb went off.
As a non Florida guy, I almost forgot about Sexy Rexy.

Geez, was every Florida QB a douche? Must have been their type for a while.

I heard the Notre Dame game a few years ago was one of the loudest as well as that Clint Trickett OU game. It was pretty loud the night of Bobby Bowden Ron Zook field when Chris Rix came off the bench. Man, I thought we were going to win that night.

😡🤬
Dr1WBkpXQAIAq3n.jpg

Reactions: punkrun
I heard the Notre Dame game a few years ago was one of the loudest as well as that Clint Trickett OU game. It was pretty loud the night of Bobby Bowden Ron Zook field when Chris Rix came off the bench. Man, I thought we were going to win that night.

😡🤬
Dr1WBkpXQAIAq3n.jpg
The ND game was pretty loud.

I was at that ‘99 game in hogtown. In the EZ where FSU students were. It was defining, hate giving them credit though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT