ADVERTISEMENT

FULL SCHEDULE (27 GAMES) RELEASED! Hosting MTE(Nov25). W Ill(Dec3), N Car(Dec8), ISU (Dec11) & N Ill(Dec13) @ CHA. Gonzaga(Dec19). No Gavitt Games

They better talk to the players
IF we have a 20 game conference schedule w/ no fans:

* 6 teams we play once

* 7 teams we play twice

--example: we travel to Minneapolis. We play the Gophers on a Wed night, stay in town, and then play them again on a Friday night before we return to Iowa City. So, for each team traveling, they get 2 conference games in over a few days.

Do you like this idea, especially if there are no fans? You would not have to worry too much about a home court advantage for 2 straight games and you are more likely to get the 20 conference games in.
Not really, no.
Play the game the go to the next. If you have an injury it's pretty much a guarantee you're handicapped in both games then, unlike spacing them out.
I'm not sure how keeping them out of town for extra days is suppose to be safer.

@perryhawk @Ronman @Chekster1 @SotaHawk87 @H4wkfan4life @tumorboy @Hawksfor3 @Mountain Man Hawk @SDHN2013 @2432Hawk @KuwaitHawk @Hawkfan_08 @unclesammy @BlackNGoldBleeder

I have kept this schedule thread updated since April:

As Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports has stated, college basketball scheduling during this pandemic has been difficult, has taken up a lot of time and has been, and I quote, wilder than a goat rodeo.

Some important notes on where Iowa's schedule currently stands:

(1) Just 3 of the Power 6 conferences have released at least part of their conference schedules:

(2) Still waiting on, of course, these 3 conferences:

B1G
SEC
ACC

(3) What we know of IOWA's likely 27 game schedule

2 games--Starting Nov 25?: Hosting a multi team event (MTE); Southern and North Carolina Central + one more team expected to participate.

1--Dec 8: B1G/ACC Challenge, North Carolina
1--Dec 19: Gonzaga
1--Iowa State
20--Conference games
1 game--To be Announced w/ Gavitt Games canceled
1 game--To Be Announced
27 Total Games

My October 12, 2020 UPDATE:

As expected, per Jeff Goodman (see tweet that follows), it looks like Iowa will open its season on November 25th when they host their own MTE (Multi-Team Event) that includes Southern and North Carolina Central. There is expected to be one more team that will join them.

NOTE: The first three games OF THE ORIGINAL SCHEDULE constituted an exempt multi-team event (MTE) that Iowa was hosting. This home "tournament" was considered a classic; it was not a traditional tournament. Iowa, Southern, North Carolina Central and South Dakota were to all play each other. South Dakota was to host two games before playing at Iowa.

ORIGINAL Nonconference Schedule:

Game 1. Nov 10 vs Southern (17-15 last season, 13-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference)

Game 2. Nov 13 vs NC Central (18-13, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)

Game 3. Nov 16 or Nov 20 vs South Dakota (20-12, 10-6 Summit League)

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Last edited:
Illinois is taking a big bite in the Jimmy V Classic. Start off with Baylor, who are ranked in the top five by almost everyone and then, if you win, you just may get #1 ranked Gonzaga. Tennessee is no lightweight either. Nice field!

Reactions: Franisdaman
In 19 days we are playing basketball.

Northern Illinois was added to the schedule yesterday.

Just one nonconference game to be determined.

What we know of IOWA's likely 27 game schedule:

2 games--Starting Nov 25?: Hosting a multi team event (MTE); Southern and North Carolina Central + one more team expected to participate.

1--Iowa State
1 --Northern Illinois
20--Conference games
27 Total Games
===============

@perryhawk @Ronman @Chekster1 @SotaHawk87 @H4wkfan4life @tumorboy @Hawksfor3 @Mountain Man Hawk @SDHN2013 @2432Hawk @KuwaitHawk @Hawkfan_08 @unclesammy @BlackNGoldBleeder

Still keeping my fingers crossed that there will, indeed, be a season to celebrate. Don't know how they're going to be able to keep the kids safe the way things the virus is taking off again. These are college students. Can't keep them in isolation for four months. Let's hope for an effective vaccine.

Didn't the Big Ten used to play a Thursday/Saturday schedule back in the old days (70's & 80's)?
yes, they did.

personally, i don't care how they do it; lets just get the games in.

maybe they could do Wed/Fri , Thur/Sat, and Fri/Sun type games.

If there are no fans in the stands, for teams we play twice, I have no problem with Iowa traveling to Purdue, for example, and playing them twice over 3 days. Once you are there, and everyone is testing negative, why not play and knock off 2 games of the 20 game schedule?

Regarding the B1G teams we play once:, maybe 3 or more B1G teams meet at one location and you knock off the 2 games that way.

I think this is why the ACC, SEC & B1G have not released conference schedules. They are trying to figure this all out. And since schools don't have to worry about selling tickets & selling out arenas, there's not much of a rush. I know @SotaHawk87 wants a schedule yesterday, but he's gonna have to be patient. ;)

Whatever they decide, I hope they learn from football and make some allowances for postponing / rescheduling. Granted, it's not quite as important since more teams make the tournament, but it's almost guaranteed COVID will impact at least a few of the games.

yes, they did.

personally, i don't care how they do it; lets just get the games in.

maybe they could do Wed/Fri , Thur/Sat, and Fri/Sun type games.

If there are no fans in the stands, for teams we play twice, I have no problem with Iowa traveling to Purdue, for example, and playing them twice over 3 days. Once you are there, and everyone is testing negative, why not play and knock off 2 games of the 20 game schedule?

Regarding the B1G teams we play once:, maybe 3 or more B1G teams meet at one location and you knock off the 2 games that way.

I think this is why the ACC, SEC & B1G have not released conference schedules. They are trying to figure this all out. And since schools don't have to worry about selling tickets & selling out arenas, there's not much of a rush. I know @SotaHawk87 wants a schedule yesterday, but he's gonna have to be patient. ;)

Regarding your plan for the teams we play twice: Logistically that might make sense, but even though there aren't going to be a lot of fans in Mackey, it will still be a home game for Purdue. Their kids will sleep in their own beds, eat together where them normally do, etc. Meanwhile, we would be ensconced in a hotel and be dealing with unfamiliar surroundings. I realize that we would also receive that same benefit for some opponents, but then it comes down to who makes up the schedule, and which schools we face twice, and I'm just paranoid that it would be Iowa that plays two games at Mackey, two games at Breslin, two games at Kohl, etc.

Regarding your plan for the teams we play twice: Logistically that might make sense, but even though there aren't going to be a lot of fans in Mackey, it will still be a home game for Purdue. Their kids will sleep in their own beds, eat together where them normally do, etc. Meanwhile, we would be ensconced in a hotel and be dealing with unfamiliar surroundings. I realize that we would also receive that same benefit for some opponents, but then it comes down to who makes up the schedule, and which schools we face twice, and I'm just paranoid that it would be Iowa that plays two games at Mackey, two games at Breslin, two games at Kohl, etc.

its not my plan ;) It's just what other conferences are considering in order to (1) limit travel & the potential spread of covid, (2) cut expenses & (3) get the games in.

150 individuals will be allowed at Rutgers games. I am guessing just family members & limited staff.

It will be interesting to see if the B1G policy is similar in all B1G arenas.

If they can do 150 at the RAC we can easily accommodate 1,000 with social distancing bathroom etc at Carver. Heck my personal opinion is it could be done with up to 3,000 but that ain’t happening.

We play in roughly 19 days, on/around Nov 25, at CHA, where we are hosting our multi team event (MTE).

What we know of IOWA's likely 27 game schedule:

1--Iowa State
1 --Northern Illinois
20--Conference games
27 Total Games
=======================

Whatever they decide, I hope they learn from football and make some allowances for postponing / rescheduling. Granted, it's not quite as important since more teams make the tournament, but it's almost guaranteed COVID will impact at least a few of the games.
I was thinking the same thing weeks ago. I didn't understand waiting longer to start the season and still trying to get 27 games in. When in the same time frame only playing 26 games were played last year.

Hopefully the Iowa vs Gonzaga game in Sioux Falls, South Dakota will go off without any problems.

As you can see, teams are trying to avoid playing in the state of South Dakota right now.

#5 Iowa's schedule is gonna be jacked.

1. Gonzaga (28)
7. Wisconsin
8. Illinois
13. Michigan State
16. North Carolina
23. Ohio State
24. Rutgers @MrsScrew
25. Michigan

AP Top 25 poll (Nov 9)
First-place votes in parentheses:

1. Gonzaga (28)
2. Baylor (24)
3. Villanova (11)
4. Virginia (1)
5. Iowa
6. Kansas
7. Wisconsin
8. Illinois

9. Duke
10. Kentucky
11. Creighton
12. Tennessee
13. Michigan State
14. Texas Tech
15. West Virginia
16. North Carolina
17. Houston
18. Arizona State
19. Texas
20. Oregon
21. Florida State
22. UCLA
23. Ohio State
24. Rutgers
25. Michigan

Would you be ok with this for the B1G? With 11 teams & no fans, I think it makes sense for the Mountain West, at least.

2019-20 Mountain West Standings
TEAMCONFGBOVR
San Diego State17-1-30-2
Utah State12-6526-8
Nevada12-6519-12
UNLV12-6517-15
Boise State11-7620-12
Colorado State11-7620-12
New Mexico7-111019-14
Fresno State7-111011-19
Air Force5-131212-20
San José State3-15147-24
Wyoming2-16159-24

Last edited:
At 10 a.m. on Nov. 17: A limited number of tickets will go on sale at ticketmaster.com. Masks are required for all spectators and will be available for free at the door. The Sanford Pentagon will work closely with the schools and individual states and be ready to adjust based on guidelines and safety measures for all involved.

THE FULL DETAILS: https://www.sanfordpentagon.com/news_article/show/1128234?utm_campaign=Gonzaga vs Iowa Tickets On Sale Announcement&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=sf132086936&utm_medium=spredfast&sf132086936=1

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Want to know why the schedules are trickling out? It's not been easy setting up these nonconfernece games.

Announced JUST TODAY: UNI at Wisconsin

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT