ADVERTISEMENT

Funny story from this weekend...

Crafty Beaver

HR All-State
Feb 18, 2004
So, my wife & I are up at Mayo for some diagnostic stuff scheduled for the next day. We're at dinner at a sports bar with another couple from our same small community. He's fighting cancer & has a surgery scheduled for the next day. Total coincidence that we're there (at Mayo) at the same time, but we've been pretty good friends over the years.

We're waiting for a table & he scans the QR code for the menu for the place so that we can all place a drink order before we get seated. He clicks on the QR code and - instead of the menu - up pops a video of his naked wife and him getting it on. It was going for about .7 seconds before he realized it wasn't the menu & recoiled with his phone. Fortunately for him, neither of our wives saw it. He said he made the recording without his wives' knowledge & that she would (obviously) kill him if she found out. She's average looking, but decently vocal, apparently. I told him I had his back, but I immediately told my wife after dinner.

CSB.

It's called squishing. Kind of like phishing, but with QR codes.

Every app on your phone is at risk of being exploited.

up pops a video of his naked wife and him getting it on. He said he made the recording without his wives' knowledge

391.gif

I’m confused. Was this a video on his phone or did he upload it somewhere? How does tbr QR code access this information?

So, my wife & I are up at Mayo for some diagnostic stuff scheduled for the next day. We're at dinner at a sports bar with another couple from our same small community. He's fighting cancer & has a surgery scheduled for the next day. Total coincidence that we're there (at Mayo) at the same time, but we've been pretty good friends over the years.

We're waiting for a table & he scans the QR code for the menu for the place so that we can all place a drink order before we get seated. He clicks on the QR code and - instead of the menu - up pops a video of his naked wife and him getting it on. It was going for about .7 seconds before he realized it wasn't the menu & recoiled with his phone. Fortunately for him, neither of our wives saw it. He said he made the recording without his wives' knowledge & that she would (obviously) kill him if she found out. She's average looking, but decently vocal, apparently. I told him I had his back, but I immediately told my wife after dinner.

CSB.
His wives' knowledge? Kinky.

I’m confused. Was this a video on his phone or did he upload it somewhere? How does tbr QR code access this information?
The video was on his phone, not uploaded. I have no idea how clicking on a QR code would trigger his diy video, but here I am to tell you I saw it happen.

What is quishing?​

Quishing, or QR phishing, is a cybersecurity threat in which attackers use QR codes to redirect victims to malicious websites or prompt them to download harmful content. The goal of this attack is to steal sensitive information, such as passwords, financial data, or personally identifiable information (PII), and use that information for other purposes, such as identity theft, financial fraud, or ransomware.

So sounds like fake qr codes exist to install malicious crap and access and steal data from our phones.

CSB.
That is one crafty beaver!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT